Archinect
anchor

RISD M.Arch Grads - Professional Opinion?

nicetomeetyou

Thoughts / experiences regarding the strength of RISD's architectural education? Can RISD graduates can stand on their own two feet alongside M.Arch graduates from Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Cornell, Yale? Is RISD in the same league, or is there a clear distinction?

Aug 22, 22 9:45 pm
nicetomeetyou

bump

Aug 24, 22 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Aug 24, 22 9:20 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Did you look up the profiles of their graduates? It could give a secondary insight into their employment/career paths.

About a decade ago, RISD's M.Arch was fairly new compared to its peers and its own BA (BArch?) program so it didn't have as deep an alumni base as other comparable programs.

Aug 24, 22 9:35 am  · 
 · 
lisanvenice

I was in ID at RISD (30 year ago) and have several friend in Architecture.  I have sent them a link to this question.  From what I saw of their careers, they all went to smaller boutique firms as opposed to my two friends are Harvard who went to large international firms.  I don't know if it was the large firm experience or not bot both changed careers.  while the "Risdoids" are still in design even if it is not necessarily architecture.  All as late career professionals have good incomes and seem happy with life in general.  All were also employed immediately after graduation so I am not sure either choice is a bad one.  Money while in school may be a bigger issue, the Ivies have much more money for scholarships.

Aug 25, 22 6:04 am  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

Thanks for your reply. I hope your friends see the question and get back to you. I’d be curious to hear their response in contrast to or support of your thoughts.

Aug 25, 22 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: