Archinect
anchor

Intern Architect NCARB to OAA

ArchKid

Can someone explain this to me, from the OAA website:

I am an Intern Architect in the United States. How do I transfer to the OAA?

National Council of Architectural Registration Board (NCARB) record holders transferring from the United States may obtain credit for previously approved experience gained while enrolled in the Intern Development Program (IDP). NCARB record holders will need to re-record the post-graduate IDP experience in the Canadian Experience Record Book (CERB), signed by the previous Supervising Architect(s) at the respective place(s) of employment and OAA Mentor. Proof of enrollment in the IDP (i.e. IDP summary reports) will be required.

Define post-graduate? In Canada, you need your master degree. In the US, you don't. I went to an American school, I did all my hours in NCARB while working in Canada. I'm almost done all my hours for NCARB. But only the hours from post-graduate counts towards OAA? Am I reading this stupid rule correctly? Does it mean only the hours from post-master degree counts? 

Just a note, I did my Master of Architecture in the US. 

https://oaa.on.ca/registration...

Jul 22, 22 12:17 am
Non Sequitur

it’s not a stupid rule but feel free to make up another 7 forum posts asking why. 

Since there are no longer Barch degrees in Canada, IDP only starts during M.arch. This is a concession they did when they reduced the min hours from 5600 to 3800 (or something like that). Prior to this, kids would get all their Coop and high school volunteer hours signed off like it was accurate professional work. 

If you don’t like it, feel free to stick with the American path. 

Jul 22, 22 12:52 am  · 
ArchKid

So the hours during M.Arch counts? Or is it just after you graduate? Or is it just 760 hours during M.Arch counts 

Jul 22, 22 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

some hours during March can count as long as you're also registered in IDP... but there is a cap and you can't retro-claim beyond 9months (I think). Not really a big deal since you'll fill those 4x over before you reach the min hours in site admin anyways.

Jul 22, 22 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Believe the cap is 6 months. Anything past that requires a late fee to be paid for the hours to be considered.

Jul 22, 22 10:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Careful bench, accurate comments like yours will force our disgruntled friend to thumbs you down. Sorry Kid, there ain’t no shortcuts. Maybe you should have read the IDP back when you started working.

Jul 22, 22 10:48 am  · 
1  ·  1
Bench

Im thumb-agnostic. All thumbs are good thumbs.

Jul 22, 22 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

Thanks guys. Thumbs up for everyone.

Jul 22, 22 12:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

What NS said. You will also need to go back and have your previous supervisors for the hours sign off on the submission to OAA. Just because they are recorded on your NCARB record does not mean Ontario will automatically accept or acknowledge them - quite the opposite actually, OAA puts much more scrutiny on experience submissions than the American version.

Not sure why it's a stupid rule. This is very basic and standard. Ive gone through both simultaneously.

Jul 22, 22 8:26 am  · 
 · 
ArchKid

"OAA puts much more scrutiny on experience submissions than the American version." painnnn

Jul 22, 22 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

not pain, it's good. Always aim to be better than the 'mericans... a low bar everyone should aim for.

Jul 22, 22 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Bench

While the OAA version is definitely a pain, I found it more worthwhile. The NCARB version is pretty rediculous, anyone can sign off hours with no review - and the buckets of experience are so broad to the point where it is essentially meaningless. On the contrary, OAA requires much more in-depth / specific buckets of tasks that have to be completed, and you need to show that you've actually done that work in your report descriptions. If the description is insufficient, they will question it, and in following up, they will not hesitate to reject groups of hours if it doesn't meet the expectation (which did happen to me on one set of hours).

Jul 22, 22 10:26 am  · 
1  · 

However, the bright side is, all those IDP/AXP hours are still valid for licensure south of the border (Canadian-US border that is).

Jul 22, 22 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: