Archinect
anchor

AIA or ARE?

fazal1988

I'm an Indian with experience over 9 years, licensed at Council of Architecture, India.

What are the requirements to work at a US/Canada firms? Do I have to join as International Associate Member at AIA? Or should I also write the ARE exam?

Feb 4, 21 9:01 am
Non Sequitur

I can't speak to the USA process, but if you want to be licensed in Canada, you have 2 options.

Typically, there is only one option but since you claim to have above 7years of experience, you might be eligible for option B.

Option A:  There is no reciprocity between India's and Canada's architecture schools under the CACB's Canberra Agreement so that means you will need to apply for a degree equivalence. (https://cacb.ca/accredited-pro...)  This means you need to establish that your academic credentials are sufficient to our M.arch degree.  If succesfull, you will then be able to register as an intern and work your way through the minimum experience hours and write the 4 architecture exams (ExACs).  This is the easiest option and is typically for fresh grads.  Some of your previous experience could be logged against these minimums but you should not assume so as it varies based on projects and roles. Application form here: https://cacb.ca/wp-content/upl...

Option B: Apply through the CACB for BEFA  certification (https://befa-aeve.ca/eligibili...).  This is a long and expensive ($7000CAD) process but it allows succesful applicants to skip the intern arch period in option A, and I believe they replace the exams with a online test of competence.  This process requires a minimum of 6months of recent canadian experience as well as an interview panel.

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 21 10:06 am  · 
 · 

In the United States you do not need to be a member of AIA to become an architect.  

The ARE are the Architectural Registration Exams and not an organization that dictates the process of becoming an architect - it's just the exam.

I would recommend contacting NCARB directly with your questions as I'm not certain what the requirements are for your situation. 

The complicated part is that different states may have different paths to architecture licensure.  Below is the the process accepted in all 50 states.  

1. Obtain an accredited degree recognized by NCARB

2. Register with NCARP and start your Architecture Experience Process (AXP)

3.  Obtain the required number of hours in each of the categories of the AXP - this typically takes 3-5 years. 

4.  Take and pass each of the divisions of the ARE.

5.  You're now an architect in the state that you passed your exams in.  You can become licensed in each of the 50 states in the United States by applying to each state and pay a fee.  Some states (CA and FL come to mind) have an additional test you need to take before you can be licensed.  

Feb 4, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

There also used to be some 'loopholes'. One of those was finding a accredited architecture school in the US that would accept your college transcripts so you might be missing a couple core credits you can take. Might be just a couple years of college or less to get the degree which allows you to start the AXP program to be licensed.  I think I even heard an urban legend about someone who transferred his credits to another foreign school that had a reciprocity agreement with NCARB. So with that other school's degree, it was equal to a degree in the US.

There's also some other ways. Several States have what we call grandfather laws. Essentially saying 10 years of working in the field is equivalent to the accredited degree and allow you to take the licensing exam. Not sure if foreign practice would work though, but if it isn't specifically mentioned, it has a shot.  Those licenses however might not allow for reciprocity to another State. 

Feb 4, 21 11:17 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Is the question about eligibility to work or eligibility to practice?

Step 0.0 may be obtaining an employee sponsored work visa (which would imply first being hired by a US firm).

Feb 4, 21 11:37 am  · 
1  · 

If you're going the US route, I wouldn't worry about school or degrees or testing just yet. 

NCARB has a page dedicated to foreign applicants. With a little digging into the details there, you should be able to chart a path forward. Reach out to NCARB with any questions and figure out what you need to do for your particular situation and the education and qualifications you already have.

Then, depending on the path(s) you have available to you, figure out the education, experience, and examination issues.

Feb 4, 21 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

AIA membership is absolutely unnecessary to secure employment.   Competency with USA construction methods, building codes, and English language skills are most important for a foreign applicant.

Feb 4, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

1) If your goal is to find work in a US architecture firm, it is useful but not necessary to be licensed, so long as you are working under another licensed architect.

2) If you do wish to become licensed in the US (necessary if you want to establish your own firm, useful but not required to work in a larger firm), each US State has its own requirements for how much or how little of your foreign education, experience, and licensure they will accept as equivalent. In every case, there will be a fee to evaluate your foreign credentials.

3) Unlike in some countries, in the US the AIA is an entirely independent organization with no authority over the legal practice of architecture. There are some benefits to membership, but legal right to practice isn't one of them.

Feb 4, 21 2:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: