Archinect
anchor

Invent New Zoning/Land Use Ordinances

awaiting_deletion

Interested in different approaches to zoning and land use ordinances. 

Consider the following:

- Work from home

- Shop from home

- Drone Delivery

- Sharing Economy (Offices, etc…, Timeshares as actual property ownership)

- Artificial Intelligence (how to integrate into society)

- Factories that discharge clean product into the environment

- Off the grid power (solar, generators, etc...)

What if Zoning acted or Worked like Cellular Automata? Game of Life as an example.

Does Zoning really have to be planned like this anymore?

NYC 1916 Zoning vs NYC Zoning today

Liberland’s Prospective Urban Planning Regime (breakdown of approaches)

google Land Use or Zoning Ordinances for your locality, etc...

Sep 17, 20 10:53 pm
awaiting_deletion

I've been thinking about the AI bit.  How much of land use will be carved out in the future for the occupancy of AI?  Will humans have to be separated from certain AI bots.  

Sep 18, 20 6:19 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

watch raised by wolves

Sep 18, 20 2:48 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

The whole A.I. thing is misdirection. The limits of AI tech are well known since at least the 1980s, and probably longer than that. We don't even understand how human intelligence works, let alone what might be necessary to replicate or improve on it. A.I. isn't "intelligence". It's algorithmic complexity optimization in n-dimensional data space: basically just ways to husband brute-force computing power. Rich Sutton wrote about that in "The Bitter Lesson," that all apparent gains in AI methods have actually just been computing power improvements via Moore's Law and better brute-force computing algorithms, not any real advances toward A.I.

Sep 23, 20 1:40 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

The bigger problem with turning to AI approaches on solving human problems is that it effectively "black-boxes" understanding of complexity in opaque systems at a level of dimensional complexity beyond human understanding. This has two very negative effects: first, it puts whoever controls the black boxes in total control of whatever the black boxes are managing, as a kind of permanent technocratic priest caste. Second, it allows a high level of complexity optimization which becomes extremely brittle in response to outliers and unknowns. Managers and technocrats love both of these properties, of course, because they give managers and technocrats nearly unlimited control with basically zero personal accountability. It also contributes to complexity spirals, which both give technocrats more power and make society in general much less resilient.

Sep 23, 20 1:47 pm  · 
3  · 
awaiting_deletion

I'm running my algorithm in your direction here gwharton. very good points (stuff I kind of know), but appreciate another architect expressing such.

Sep 26, 20 6:37 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I remember that sim city og game. 

Sep 18, 20 7:44 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I ran it on my Mac desktop in the early 90s.

Sep 18, 20 7:45 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

og sim city is still pretty much zoning. except it doesn't run on Mac's from the 90s, probably worse, Apple IIe's

Sep 18, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sorry, Sim City 2000 is what I remember playing. That's where that screen shot comes from.

Sep 18, 20 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

So much of my childhood was spent messing around in Sim City 2K.

Sep 18, 20 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

same. I can still hear the "reticulating splines" audio in my head.

Civilization II was another one I spent too much time on

Sep 18, 20 1:14 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

That "reticulating splines" voice was, dare I say, a little too seductive.

Sep 18, 20 2:22 pm  · 
1  · 

agreed

Sep 18, 20 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

inhabit

Sep 18, 20 9:15 am  · 
4  · 
awaiting_deletion

any links? what would that ordinance language look like?

Sep 18, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

really good beta!

Sep 18, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

doh, link is at top of post!

Sep 18, 20 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ok, can def. run with this. nothing radical happens immediately, the language has to change over time so I'll take a stab at it....also the language is very much in cadence with TCI...which at times I thought could have been written by Agamben or a translator of his or French philosophy texts in general...this has the same beat structurally.

Sep 18, 20 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

oddly enough they are NOT looking for architects

"We need builders, healers, farmers, designers, and engineers."

(clearly written by an architect or someone who studied architecture or who has friends that are architects, the website.)

Sep 19, 20 9:00 pm  · 
1  · 
batting1000

i caught that too. i think we suck using guns for the most part, so might not fit in. also, when i see 1930s neo-germanic typeface, i turn and run. prepper utopia. preppertopia. has a nice ring to it. a healer packing heat? now this i gotta see.

Sep 20, 20 12:04 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I find the website language interesting as much of what it says could apply to Liberland, it has a few very "left" tropes and tells you to imagine a future or how to go about doing stuff in this new mode of thinking. The I-70 I liked most, since I used to deliver stuff mainly off that interstate. I don't know what part of the country they were imagining their event could happen on I-70, but where I was - the hunters, builders, and farmers all packed heat, clearly visible in the gun rack (the law), so if they can convert those guys they have a chance otherwise good luck. (the Navy seal I knew (contractor) anti-technology anti pretty much everything, I just think you have to sail a bit of patriotism to get these guys on board, otherwise, yeah you're not beating those type (trained for war)).....Healers don't shoot - or they shoot first, convert the minds of men, and then heal?

Sep 20, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 
batting1000

yes. they will need serious confrontation protocols. take names, shoot 1st, then kick butt. no, wait, that's not right.

Sep 20, 20 9:42 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

that side's argument would be to use exceptional cases based on overall statistics to justify such thinking unless of course you state it's "war" (in which there are no crimes as it is a crime itself). but this is not a statement of war (the website). I started trying to adapt it into the typical legal speak, have to go back and find the laws on land ownership to understand the logic (I like research like this and the 'nect peer review, haha)

Sep 20, 20 9:59 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

an architect should be a designer and a builder - even you fall for the usa label police

Sep 21, 20 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well yes, but you know we have laws and stuff.

Sep 26, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

mining from home? building an airplane from home? melting aluminum at home? drone delivery of furniture or appliances?  and the best one, factories that discharge clean "product"?  you need to look away from your screens dude.

Sep 18, 20 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

some job in Switzerland by that Cradle to Cradle guy, discharged water...I'm thinking way ahead dude

Sep 18, 20 4:49 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

it’s sort of related to my m-arch thesis.  I think what you are getting at DWG is a parametric /metabolic order vs a master planning order.  So funny, because I’m in early stages of working on something that gets into this, but have been doing the research for about 12 years, and JP’s lectures (see Politics Central) are relevant, and that’s how I came upon him. It’s a architectural thing, not political, the political shit is a means to a broader understanding about cities and order.  I’m going to post a silly game (early concept shit) soon that I think you others will have some fun with.   I think it will tie into this topic.  I see where you are going, I think.  You are weird.  I like that lol

Sep 18, 20 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

looking forward tot he game/post. Yes, kind of in the realm you speak of. I'm mainly back into Wolfram Cellular Automata, I even started a zoning for that Liberland competition that appears canceled, might post what I wrote so far. Its structure is still NYC ish.

Sep 18, 20 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m deliberately avoiding JP stuff (btw, both Jla and Tduds are correct on their POV for this wanker) but I keep falling back to Price and his fun palace whenever this topic pops up. My own masters thesis touched on this, more specifically on casual overlapping of use of spaces within a minimally defined structure, and I might some references out when I get the chance. Anyways, this peeks my interests.

Sep 19, 20 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

post the work man!

Sep 19, 20 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Zoning is about quality of life and property values.  Doesn't really matter what changes in tech, there will still need to be separation of uses in areas.  So, your delivery of goods; still needs a warehouse. That warehouse still needs highways and supporting infrastructure as well as central locations for distribution.  Even if you automate distribution, your quiet neighborhood probably wouldn't tolerate regular semi-trucks driving through or large drones flying over.  Even if you can tele-connect to the world and get everything without leaving your house.... as shown with quarantine, people want to interact with each other, get out of the house, and do stuff.  That means destinations, accommodations, etc. You don't want to live next to club, hotel, rollercoaster, bar, or auditorium without a say in how that might impact your happiness or devaluation of your once quiet property.

My thoughts on AI wouldn't be 'human' emulations like I Robot.  Nope, automated shopping carts and the like that are designed around their function.  A people shaped AI is a shitty trash collector.  Also, I see sort of 'home base' larger mobile bots hosting several smaller limited range bots for delivery.  So, your Domino's Pizza will be mobile kitchen truck with drones that at the end of the day, returns to their stockpile warehouse to reload supplies and have maintenance; their 'properties' become more of a parking spot (docking station) than a structure. That sort of stuff will have to be worked out; where those larger bots can park and allowed to travel.  By the same token; you don't want your neighbor to build a "RV" pad to dock his new dominos truck on flying drones out of it 24/7.  and so forth.....  Zoning and newer regulations will come out as these things become issues in society.

Sep 18, 20 2:45 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

The degree of decentralization will vary, but anything nearing zero centralization would probably require a technology 1000 years out...like an atomic printer...like a Star Trek replicator...at this point industries would produce nothing more than code patents and raw material

Sep 18, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ha, funny, I was thinking AI for trash first, but the mob may still run that...so far I think Beta's link is best for translating into current ordinance language. Remember when homes were over shops? (still exists) The density thing seems less applicable with work from home and the division of types of uses makes less sense when there is no real density.

Sep 18, 20 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

This "Remember when homes were over shops?" makes me think of Airoots work on "the toolhouse" and the broader similarities between Tokyo and Mumbai regarding an approach to "zoning" or not.

Nov 2, 20 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

For comparison, take from Beta's link above and a zoning text at the beginning:

A multiplicity of people, spaces, and infrastructures lay the ground where powerful, autonomous territories take shape. Everything for everyone. Land is given over to common use. Technology is cracked open—everything a tool, anything a weapon. Autonomous supply lines break the economic stranglehold. Mesh networks provide real-time communication connecting those who sense that a different life must be built.

vs

The purposes of this code are hereby declared to be: to promote the health, safety, convenience, morals and welfare of the inhabitants of the City; to encourage the most appropriate use of land throughout the City; to prevent overcrowding of land; to conserve the value of land and buildings; to lessen congestion in the streets; to avoid undue concentration of population; to provide adequate light and air; to secure safety from fire, panic and other dangers; to facilitate adequate provision for transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements; and to preserve and increase the amenities of the City. 

vs 

A Resolution regulating the height and bulk of buildings and other
structures, regulating and determining the area of yards, courts and
other open spaces, and the density of population, and regulating and
restricting the location of trades and industries and the location of
buildings designed for specific uses within the City of New York, and
for such purposes dividing the City into districts.

Sep 19, 20 10:24 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the middle one is Boston. NYC is more pragmatic. FYI

Sep 19, 20 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Cellular Zoning: Instanced Flattened Generative Rules – NO LAND Zoning Language [77697463686372616674da]

Article- #1 [1] – General Provisions

Chapter #1011 [B] – Title, Establishment of Controls and Interpretation of Regulations within this Resolution

#10001001101 [44D] - Long Title

A resolution regulating the volume of space use and all that is related.

#10001001110 [44E] - Short Title

The resolution is known as a moment in time, a finite moment in history, a moment defined by values while formulating the values of the future in constant flux.

#10001001111 [44F] Establishment of Space and Time

This resolution applies to all future uses of space in NO LAND.

#10001010000 [450] Interpretation of Provisions

In interpreting and applying the provisions of this Resolution, such provisions shall be considered as the minimum requirements:

#10101100100001 [2B21] To promote and protect instances in history, in which the future is predicated unknowingly and knowingly to those indirectly involved, those with a will to power, those who plan directly, those who unknowingly remain common without input, and those who live autonomously.  Each moment in time shall occur and this NO LAND Zoning Language shall adapt accordingly.

#10101100100010 [2B22] Accordingly this resolution shall adapt in language and contract.

#10001010001 [451] Building Permits Issued based on Time Stamp

Space in time shall proceed as proposed and shall not borrow rules and regulations from the past nor the future at time of issuance of permits.  Development of space shall proceed based on issuance of permits and all rules, regulations, as resolved in this resolution and NO LAND Zoning Language at Time Stamp as associated with that specific instance in time and space.

#10001010010 [452] Violations

Violations shall not exist, this includes presumed violations and inconsistencies. They shall be assumed as existing conditions and addressed accordingly within the constraints and formulations of the acting resolution at that Time Stamp.  No fines shall be issued.  There are no violations and there will be no violations with regard to results dictated by this NO LAND Zoning Language.

Sep 19, 20 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Noticing some property tax languages use the phrase "Land Improvement" for anything built on the land.  It's not a house, a pool, etc... it's an "improvement".  

Sep 21, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and insurance companies call it "the risk"...language one can work with.

Sep 21, 20 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Zoning really has only one purpose: to protect and increase property values. It has been used in lots of different ways (e.g. excluding black people, excluding "nuisance" land uses, restricting housing supply, etc., etc., etc.), but it always boils down to that one thing: $$$.

The fundamental issue people are trying to control with that (and pretty much all other environmental laws) is negative externalities (otherwise known as third-party costs). If somebody builds an aluminum smelter in their backyard in a predominantly residential area, it's going to impose lots of costs on the neighbors (noise, smells, waste, power consumption) which they can't directly do anything about. The owner of the land with the smelter gets the benefit of the smelter and its output, while making his neighbors suffer the costs without compensation.

Regulatory laws are how the neighbors collectively deal with this problem: they either ban the imposition of those costs, or force the creator of the negative externalities to bear their costs directly. The big argument comes where we start talking about what constitutes an externality and what doesn't.

People of a libertarian political persuasion tend to believe that negative externalities do not exist at all, though they love to rhapsodize about positive externalities (MUH FREE MARKETS!). They can be safely ignored as fools.

In the USA, our dominant political parties are also highly skewed in how they look at externalities, and what they consider valid ones or not, mostly driven by particular class interests. They are also fools, but not so easily ignored, since they tend to also control the legal mechanisms by which our society attempts to deal with these problems.

Sep 22, 20 11:40 am  · 
3  · 
awaiting_deletion

I can run with this as well "negative externalities".. many thanks

Sep 22, 20 10:16 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

It's a familiar theme in American history and politics. You hear it discussed sometimes as "Socialization of Costs, Privatization of Profits." Nobody has yet come up with a good way of dealing with it, since power is decentralized in our system of government and money talks. Instead, we wind up with a crazy quilt of ad-hoc solutions to specific past problems: lots of bolting stable doors after the horses are long escaped.

Sep 23, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

and the doors are bolted to the roof

Sep 23, 20 11:52 am  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

more research to do. many thanks.

Sep 23, 20 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Some research, precedents and what-not.  Let's get a feel for it, shall we:

Sir George Peckham in A true reporte of the late discoveries pointed out as early as 1583, relating to the discoveries of Sir Humphrey Gilbert, that it was “lawfull and necessary to trade and traficke with the savages.”  In a series of subsequent arguments, he then expounded the right of settlement among the natives and the mutual benefit to them and to England.  This theme was later extended by the author of Nova Britannia, who maintained that the object of the English was to settle in the Indian’s country, “yet not to supplant and roote them out, but to bring them from their base condition to a farre better” by teaching them the “arts of civility”.  The author of Good Speed to Virginia added that the “Savages have no particular prpopertie in any part or parcel of that country, but only a generall residencie there, as wild beasts have in the forests.”  This last opinion, according to Philip A. Bruce, prevailed to a great extent and was held by a majority of the members of the London Company in regard to the appropriations of lands.

p.3 Mother Earth, Land Grants in Virginia, 1607-1699

At the same time the provision making it a felony for the English to go north of the York was repealed. This turn in policy, based upon the assumption that some intermingling of the white and red men was inevitable, led to the effort to provide for an “equitable division” of land supplemented by attempts to modify the Indian Economy which had previously  demanded vast areas of the country.

p.5 Mother Earth, Land Grants in Virginia, 1607-1699

Land owners dispute - /\ he had a Donald buddy, like literally called the Donald Trump of Arizona and was at hearing when below was said.

1989 - American Indian Activist Russell Means testifies at Senate Hearing

After the American Indian hostiles were subdued, and forcibly confined to Indian Reservations, it took approximately 30 years, one generation for us to adjust and become economically viable.  Contrary to what the anthropologists say and what we even ourselves are taught as Indian people.  However, allotments were made smaller, our remaining lands were open to own home steading, and we were forced into reducing our own livestock.  Never the less, we made the adjustment again in less than  half the aforementioned time  - 15 years to become economically self-sufficient again…again we recovered in a timespan of approximately of 15 years…we were so successful in our third recovery that the American Indian enjoyed the finest of economic times while the rest of the industrial world was wallowing in the Great Depression.  It was then that President Roosevelt introduced the Howard Wheeler Act, better known as the Indian Reorganization Act…which are not one of our institutions and is still foreign to us this very day. We have yet to recover.

Back to some sensibility, the English manner - 

By 1658 the Assembly had received from several Indian tribes so many complaints of being deprived of their land, either by force or fraud, that measures again adopted to protect the natives in their rights.

Efforts to protect the Indians in the possession of their lands were subject to modification from time to time.

p. 6 Mother Earth, Land Grants in Virginia, 1607-1699

The Assembly had realized that the chief cause of trouble was the encroachment by the whites upon Indian territory.  Efforts, therefore, had been made to remove this cause of friction by permitting purchases from the natives provided each sale was publicly announced before a quarter courts or the Assembly.  But the plan had not been in complete success.  Various members of the colony had employed all kinds of ingenious devices to persuade the natives to announce in public their willingness to part with their land.  Dishonest interpreters had rendered “them willing to surrender when indeed they intended to have received a confirmation of their owne rights.”  In view of these evil practices the Assembly declared all future sales to be null and void.

p. 7 Mother Earth, Land Grants in Virginia, 1607-1699

THAT'S THE VIBE OF LAND OWNERSHIP IN USA.  NOW COMPARE ABOVE TO BOSTON'S ZONING INTRO.

Sep 25, 20 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

in case reading and comprehension is hard for you, I copied pasted and note, the aggressive land ownership vibe then supplants this as a method of control (Boston):

The purposes of this code are hereby declared to be: to promote the health, safety, convenience, morals and welfare of the inhabitants of the City; to encourage the most appropriate use of land throughout the City; to prevent overcrowding of land; to conserve the value of land and buildings; to lessen congestion in the streets; to avoid undue concentration of population; to provide adequate light and air; to secure safety from fire, panic and other dangers; to facilitate adequate provision for transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements; and to preserve and increase the amenities of the City.

Sep 25, 20 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

on the aggressive land protocol for colonialist and settlers, I think to frame it in a manner many would understand under modern day "cool cultural" language....research for actual blog led me to this from a very good book by Eric Rutkow - American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of a Nation

"These first colonists - Pilgrims, Puritans, and independent settlers - thus started to find refuge among the New England forests, but they were failing to live up to their commercial obligations. Their sponsors, joint-stock companies such as Hakluyt's London Company, were for-profit ventures that expected the colonies to deliver commodities and justify the investment." p. 23 (year a.d. 1630's)

In short, the attitude with regards to Land and zoning comes from a corporate board of directors and shareholders mode of thought and production (not exactly colonialists). 

when someone says "corporations are people", no, no they are not.  Corporations are people committed to a systemic set of values, usually very detached from reality on a timeline of financial quarters.   So committed are these people or so held in bondage (colonialist settlers) they will do unhuman things.

I just came up with one more item I can run with. ;)

Sep 26, 20 6:11 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

looks like research has to delve deeper into the English condition in history.  The CORPORATION.  

This scene makes sense now if you replace Human with Corporation.

Sep 26, 20 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

architectural land use music

Sep 26, 20 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

for the record I lived in a building torn down, but they paid my parents to leave (not US).

Sep 26, 20 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

https://archinect.com/features...

Oct 3, 20 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

possible notation system -

Howard T. Odum

Environment, power, and society for the twenty-first century : the hierarchy of energy - link

Oct 3, 20 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion
awaiting_deletion

basically - programmed like cellular automata with an energy source to connect and cause action

Oct 3, 20 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: