Archinect
anchor

What's in your serial cue?

I've been laughing my ass off at How To With John Wilson.

Jan 10, 21 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Has anyone seen Killing Eve? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7... It's pretty well done, and one of the lead actors is amazing at accents. Basically two psychopaths, one's a cop and one's a killer, have a weird relationship with lots of hijinx. Reading tduds and xjla going at it in Politics Central made me think of it...

Jan 28, 21 9:42 am  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

LOL!

Jan 28, 21 9:51 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Fine but I call dibs on Sandra Oh.

Jan 28, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

No offense intended, of course. Sandra Oh is great but I'm really impressed with Jodie Comer's acting, including but not only her skill with accents. On the last episode I watched she did a decent Long Island accent but with Russian accent undertones, though her real accent is British.

Jan 28, 21 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

They're both so good in that show. We've only seen the first season. Thanks for the reminder to catch up!

Jan 28, 21 11:40 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

We're on season 3 now--it just gets better, and more fun as they develop the characters and add some new ones.

Jan 31, 21 10:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol. I’ve heard it’s a great show. Gotta check it out.

Jan 31, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Great acting but got tired of Sandra Oh!

Aug 18, 21 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Okay, this is for an audience of one (me), and it's not even a streaming show; I watch it on YouTube.  It's called 8 Out of Cats Does Countdown.  A British mashup of multiple formats (hence the weird title), it's like finding yourself at a party in London full of funny and competitive strangers.

Half comedy roast, half game show, and half talk show, it features a resident lexicographer, an Oxford-educated mathematician who looks like a supermodel, and the "eye candy" stage assistants are male.  There are usually at least 9 people (comedians, musicians, writers) on stage.  Unlike US shows, the humor is raucous and adult, and its hour length allows for diversions (songs or poems or stunts) minus the American scripted race for time.

I stumbled across it by accident, and am happily hooked.  

Jan 30, 21 8:35 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ 8 Out of 10 Cats... Where's my editor?!

Jan 30, 21 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I loved Cobra Kai.  It’s a fun show.  

Jan 31, 21 10:57 am  · 
 · 

OMG Dee Snider just did a cameo on Cobra Kai I’m  screaming laughing!!

Feb 3, 21 8:19 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

Haven't been following this thread to closely, but "The Imposters" on Netflix is one of the best shows I've watched in a long time.  Not to serious, funny, enjoyable tv!

Feb 5, 21 10:19 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but I just started the second season of Fargo and found the first season to be very well done. Perfect roles for Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks and Keith Carradine. The second season has a different feel (and story) but so far so good. Seeing Nick Offerman with a chin beard playing a conspiracy theorist was hilarious.

Feb 12, 21 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Just started "The Day" on Topic TV. 12 episodes. An easy manageable binge.

Also following Wandavision.

Feb 15, 21 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Loving Wandavision. So smart.

Feb 22, 21 3:41 pm  · 
1  · 
James Bragg

Just started watching tonight. Finally something original.

Apr 30, 21 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The Lady and the Dale....HBO.  Really good doc mini series

Feb 22, 21 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Watching The Victim, with the woman from Trainspotting, that also played in Boardwalk Empire...it’s okay. Just finished Deadwater Fell with the Dr. Who from Broadchurch...was better than expected and trying to watch Crashing by and with Phoebe Waller-Bridge from the brilliant Fleabag and Killing Eve...And occasionally an episode of The Great British Bake Off with the guy from Little Britain and the one from the Mighty Boosh, can’t go wrong there...

Feb 22, 21 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Currently on season 8 of Homeland. Borgen is next. Just finished Borderliner and The Rain, both in original audio and no CC's. I have a habit of watching things in the original language!

Feb 23, 21 5:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"I have a habit of watching things in the original language!" 

Me too when that original language is either Dutch or English.

Feb 23, 21 6:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Small Axe 

Feb 23, 21 6:12 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

zerozerozero on Amazon is great 

Mar 25, 21 12:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Unforgotten with Nicola Walker and Roadkill with Hugh Laurie

Mar 25, 21 3:43 am  · 
 · 

Mozart in the Jungle

Gael Gabriel Bernal, Malcolm McDowell

Mar 25, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ZeroZeroZero kicks ass

Mar 26, 21 9:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Has someone already mentioned Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet? It's very funny, and the Dark Quiet Death episode weirdly loving and sad.

Apr 7, 21 6:27 am  · 
2  · 
x-jla

Concrete Cowboy was a really good movie 

Apr 7, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

The special Quarantine episode of Mythic Quest was fantastic! 

Apr 9, 21 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 

the movie Cherry is *beautifully* made. Tom Holland and Ciara Bravo are excellent. Granted the we music helps the emotional punch a lot! But nonetheless I wept. To quote Charles Bradley, why is it so hard to make it in America?!

Apr 10, 21 12:03 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

To entertain my 4yr old:

A Perfect Planet with Sir David Attenborough, trailer here:

Apr 11, 21 6:08 am  · 
1  · 

The Apple show Trying is wonderful. Funny and sad and touching.  They remind me of my husband and myself, deeply in love, struggling with a screwed up world of expectations, but trying.

Apr 11, 21 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Mythic Quest is absolutely delightful. Funny and dorky and biting. And so sweet.

Apr 16, 21 9:59 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

synchronic pretty good movie...

Apr 17, 21 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Nobody is even better than everyone says. So good it makes me feel kiiiiinda the same way about Bob Odenkirk as I do about Brad Pitt......

Apr 18, 21 9:21 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Loudermilk on Amazon 

Shadow and Bone on Netflix 

Apr 28, 21 9:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If you're not watching Special, on Netflix, you're missing a really good series.

Jun 3, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm sure Peaky Blinders has been mentioned but that's our current show. For some reason I didn't know anything about it and the name made me think "Faulty Towers." Boy was I wrong. Pretty dark but well done. Some very attractive, and talented, actors. I only know Sam Neill from Jurassic Park so it's quite a different role for him.  

Apr 28, 21 9:22 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Anybody watch Shrill? We're almost done. Great show. Ostensibly about an overweight woman and her daily life, but there is much more to it, and probably relatable for anyone who isn't perfect. 

Jun 3, 21 5:56 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

That is great show. It was cut way too short.

Jun 4, 21 5:22 pm  · 
1  · 

I loved it. I read the book on which it's loosely based and loved it, too.

Jun 6, 21 1:34 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

We watched the first season and loved it. I'm kind of a sucker for anything filmed in a location I know, which is what pulled me in, but by the end I was totally invested in the characters & story.

Jun 7, 21 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

& speaking of locations I know, there's a wedding episode I haven't seen (in season 2 i think?) that takes place at the hotel where my wife and I had our wedding weekend. Definitely need to watch that!

Jun 7, 21 12:51 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Tduds, definitely!

Jun 7, 21 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

The set design in Loki is fantastic!

Jun 9, 21 9:02 pm  · 
1  · 

Too much brutalism meets 5th Element, and Eames and Rams, w/o the warmth of Guastavino... 

Jun 17, 21 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I got a very 'Brazil' vibe from the TVA set design.

Jun 18, 21 1:26 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I'm a bit tired of netflix and hbomax, is disney + worth it? more titles? newer stuff?

Jun 18, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Meh, something for everyone (every age really) in a very niche manner. They use a weekly release format to string you long. So while Loki is good, you might want to wait a while to binge that along with Wandavision.

Jun 18, 21 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Katla

Jun 22, 21 11:45 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I recently finished season two of For All Mankind and enjoyed it. The timeline starts at the beginning of the space race (1950s), but with a slightly alternative future - a race that never ends. Some of the dialogue and archetypes are a little corny/simple, but all enjoyable to watch nonetheless.  Plus, I've always enjoyed Joel Kinnaman's performance.

Jun 22, 21 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

We started watching Tuca & Bertie recently, and not only is it pretty hilarious and visually incredible (my wife describes it as "like watching Broad City on acid") one of the main characters is an architect. The definitely deliberate misinterpretation of what architects do never fails to crack me up.

Jul 8, 21 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Mrs. America was fantastic. Excellent performances all around, especially Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne of course. But also Sarah Paulson was chillingly excellent in the almost-last episode, she made me cry hard. Then I kept it together as Reagan got elected, but as the end credits rolled and they showed historical footage along with contemporary footage of women’s protests and I saw the sign that said “I can’t believe we’re still protesting this sh*t 40 years later” I lost it again. I distinctly remember, in 1977 at age 10, asking my mom “why would any American *not* support the ERA?!” and she had no answer and I definitely became a feminist.

Jul 25, 21 9:39 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Have Planet Dinosaur, Walking With Dinosaurs,  Walking With Monsters and Walking With Beasts and their spin offs with Nigel Marven on repeat these days for the 4yr old...the CGI and Muppets really look dated at times (some of it 20+yrs old) but very edutaining nonetheless.

Jul 26, 21 2:06 am  · 
 · 

interiors- Loki vs. Mysterious Benedict society. Discuss...

Aug 1, 21 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting. Need to think about it for a while. First read the bottom image has a house of cards symbolism and conveys fragile instability. Top image reads as authoritarian.

Aug 1, 21 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Top image symbolism of a bowl. I have to say these are disturbing images.

Aug 2, 21 12:18 am  · 
 · 

Watching TV from my childhood. 

Outer Limits, Combat, Wanted Dead or Alive, M Squad, first 4 seasons of Gunsmoke, etc. I am 70, semi retired, and in a reflective state. I also enjoy these shows because they have a plot that helps create a believable alternate reality, characters that have defined motivations, and some are in B&W which makes for some great uses of lighting and shot composition. I also enjoy seeing first rate actors before they became famous.

Aug 2, 21 1:32 am  · 
2  · 

My uncle was an actor with a long list of tv credits including Outer Limits and Gunsmoke. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0415428/

Aug 12, 21 9:31 pm  · 
3  · 

Thank you Miles. I remember your uncle. He was in almost every TV show ever made at the time. The Outer Limits episode was written by Harlan Ellison.

Aug 12, 21 10:19 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone watching Dave, or Pen15 on Hulu?

Aug 12, 21 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

I loved Pen15!

Aug 12, 21 9:30 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Not proud of it, but I've been drawn into White Lotus.  Glad it's only six episodes.

Aug 12, 21 9:58 pm  · 
2  · 

citizen I feel exactly the same. I enjoyed the first couple episodes but then it didn’t go in the direction I thought it would, and about episode four I started thinking “This is actually not very good” LOL but I’m still going to finish it this weekend.

Aug 13, 21 8:07 am  · 
1  · 

OK we finished white lotus tonight. I’m disappointed and wish I had watched something else instead. Granted, the acting was wonderful and the set design and costumes excellent. Armond was *perfect*! But overall it was rich while people being rich white people and it just made me angry.

Aug 15, 21 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'll finish it tomorrow and, again, am glad it's short.

Aug 16, 21 12:31 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

only on episode 3 but I like the realistic portrayal of absurd lives, I happen to work with that type of people and the series sometimes falls short of how bizarrely they actually live.

Aug 17, 21 10:55 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Finished it last night. Lots of frustration and heartbreak, as expected and promised. And beyond plot and performances, the music/score was quite compelling throughout, I thought.

Aug 17, 21 12:56 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I'm watching a great french soap in netflix, call my agent.

Aug 13, 21 12:36 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Reservation Dogs

Aug 16, 21 12:16 pm  · 
3  · 

Family Business (French, Netflix)

Aug 16, 21 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

'Atypical' on Netflix is pretty solid.  It's about a highschooler who is on the autism spectrum.  Character development is really well done--as the storytelling extends to his friends and family--and how they are all directly affected by the protagonist's mental illness.  A good light-hearted mix of comedy and drama--without any preachy overtones.  

Aug 17, 21 11:07 am  · 
6  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

100 Foot Wave! With a Phillip Glass soundtrack.

Aug 17, 21 1:02 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

I have been watching that series too. I was in Nazare in May 2019 and couldn't figure out all the fuss until it was explained to me that you have to go Nov - Feb to see any surf. When we were there the place was empty and the surf was maybe 2', they were just starting to set up for beach for the summer but you could see how the place would go off under those surf conditions. We visited a great couple restaurants where the owners brought us into the kitchen and drank port with us. Good times.

Aug 18, 21 7:22 pm  · 
2  · 

But why is Ted Lasso so good?” I ask through my tears of human connection.

Aug 31, 21 10:43 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

We just got caught up. Great show. I'm not a crier but might have had a tear or two during some episodes.

Sep 15, 21 12:31 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This show, man, has been quite cathartic this past year and half.

Sep 15, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Really into this British sitcom, great music too:

We Are Ladyparts

Trailer: https://youtu.be/MPqzoAjxvl4

Sep 14, 21 5:52 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

With soundtrack:

Sep 15, 21 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Last Man. Very cool dystopia fiction.

Sep 14, 21 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Ever notice how there isn't any utopian fiction? Probably because nobody would belive it.

Sep 14, 21 8:34 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Except, you know Star Trek.

Sep 15, 21 12:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Bible?

Sep 15, 21 3:12 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Miles we just finished The Good Place. While pretty saccharin, it gets better with each season and actually presents some interesting philosophical questions. I'd call it utopian fiction. But yeah, dystopian fiction is much more common. Maybe because it's so much easier to believe.

Sep 15, 21 7:27 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

I see dystopian fiction - at least the best dystopian fiction - as a warning. "Hey, this is where the thread leads if we don't change some shit up."

Sep 15, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

And some dystopic fiction, like The Last Man, use the narrative to discuss where we are in this moment.

Sep 15, 21 10:55 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

tduds, a lesson I learned when I used to do a lot of mountain biking is that you tend to go where you're looking. So when we are constantly bombarded with dystopian visions, it's hard to not head in that direction.

Sep 15, 21 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 

It's because we always think of utopia as a much nicer place than it really was.

Sep 15, 21 2:27 pm  · 
1  · 

@b3ta I think it begins with Cain and Abel and goes downhill from there.

Sep 15, 21 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 

You can't have one without the other: utopia (Elyesium, Lang's Metropolis, etc.) exists on top of dystopia. Pretty much a reflection of reality.

Sep 15, 21 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Just watching the news and current events is all the dystopia I can stomach these days...

Sep 15, 21 3:41 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Miles, it depends on whether or not you buy the New Testament, does it not?

Sep 15, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Well, we always forget that Utopia was still heavily committed to class and punishment as a part of an ideal society... So in all that good, there's bad. And if that's the case, in all that bad...

Sep 15, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

We live in Utopia!

Sep 17, 21 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Speaking of dystopian fiction, we just finished season 1 of The Expanse and - wow is it bleak. Beautiful and smart and well-written and fantastically acted, but bleak nonetheless. I look forward to seeing where the next seasons go. Seems like the writing team knows what they're doing.

Sep 15, 21 12:20 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

IT IS SO GODDAMNED GOOD

Sep 15, 21 1:35 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Tduds, I had watched the first few episodes and gave up on it, but tried again thanks to your and Pete's comments and though bleak it is very well done. I'm now on season 4--have you kept watching? Season 3 was pretty mind-blowing--architectural elements even play a key role.

Nov 28, 21 9:17 am  · 
 · 

We just finished Physical, with the incredible Rose Byrne, last night. It was GREAT and so funny but also difficult, in many ways, for me, a 54 year old woman. It’s about the death of 60s idealism at the hands of Reaganism, but told thru aerobics….so yeah, if you’re a child of the 80s it will feel extremely true. The main character’s inner monologue regarding food and self-esteem is painfully familiar. And the role of malls and development…ugh. Just really good.

Sep 18, 21 8:43 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Honestly, one of the best series out there.

Sep 18, 21 12:28 pm  · 
1  · 

Currently enjoying Reservation Dogs and it came to mind that it is very similar to Atlanta, also HULU/FX.

Sep 20, 21 7:09 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Was thinking the same thing.

Sep 20, 21 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I just came here to see if anyone else was watching Reservation Dogs. What a great show!

Sep 30, 21 9:35 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: