Archinect
anchor

NYS Licensure

Continuum

Hey folks. I heard from a colleague that you need three years of work experience in NYS to be licensed. But I can't find this requirement anywhere online. For example, in NJ I can clearly find information that says "three years of work experience."

If I have an NAAB accredited degree, completed lawful AXP hours from various places, and finished ARE exams, am I set for New York State license? Or does my work experience really have to be from NY?

Thank you for the clarification.

May 2, 20 3:01 pm
Bench

contact NCARB. If you have an active account it will have an automatic tracker for you.

May 2, 20 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

No, the experience does not need to be from New York.  Yes, NY does require 3 full years of experience.  You find this information on New York's Office of the Professions website.

May 2, 20 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Continuum

Hey, I don't find this information anywhere on their website.. or, if I understood those "units" information correctly -

I need 12 points total.

NAAB accredited school = 9 units
1 year of experience = 1 unit
3 years of experience = 3 units

But it also says a Masters is equal to 1 unit, which means I only need 2 years of experience!? Does M. Arch II count?

May 2, 20 8:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Gloominati

Since you have an NAAB-accredited degree, you're in Category A.  

Per the site:  "For applicants in Category A, a total of at least eight years of education and experience is required in order to obtain 12 units of credit." 

Usually an M.Arch II (a post-professional M.Arch) is not considered a professional degree, because most post-professional degrees are not accredited, so typically you cannot get an extra 1 unit for that degree.  Usually you can only get that extra 1 unit if you actually have 2 NAAB-accredited degrees (for instance an accredited M.Arch on top of an accredited B.Arch) which is fairly unusual.

Beyond that, if you have questions about your specific situation, you should take it up with NYS.

May 3, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

It actually depends on how NYS classifies the M.Arch II program. NYS treated my M.Arch II as a professional degree atop my B.Arch. Unsure why... But I can also confirm that not all 3 years need to be in NYS.

May 4, 20 9:33 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

They do actually review the M.Arch II on a case-by-case basis. They classify depending on what the program was and what the curriculum covers. So it is impossible for us to give a good response to this question. The OP really has to contact NYS and just send in your information. When I've called them, they were pretty specific that they couldn't give specific information about how they classify programs over the phone.

May 4, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Lot17

Hello, I graduated with a pre-professional degree from a non-accredited program, and I am working as a junior designer at an architecture firm. If I were to get a MArch I degree that is accredited, can my MArch degree count as Category A for units? or does Category A only account for BArch degrees?

Sep 15, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

As said so many times now - you should call the NYS licensing board. I can confirm from personal experience that it is rarely straightforward.

Sep 15, 20 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Continuum

^

May 2, 20 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archlic.htm#
Sep 15, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

Any update on this?

Here is my situation:

- 3 years undergrad in Architecture technology (non-NAAB) in Canada

- 2.5 years of master degree in architecture (NAAB) in US

- 2 years of professional experience between my undergrad and grad in Canada

- 2.5 years of professional experience during my grad (I know NY doesn’t count this) in Canada

All my experiences has been in Canada, but I got M.Arch (NAAB) in US. I been filling up my NCARB hours working in Canada. Thoughts on my situation? Does NYS require a separate breakdown of my experience or do they just use what I submitted in NCARB?

Jan 2, 21 6:15 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Should just be your NCARB online reporting. Make sure you have NY state listed as your state of first licensure.

Jan 2, 21 7:54 am  · 
 · 
ArchKid

I'm currently undecided until I figure out where I will end up. New York is option #1, Cali option #2

Jan 2, 21 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

All years of experience - all 3 - need to be at a firm registered as either: a sole proprietorship, PLLC, LLP, , PC, or DPC. Regular corporations and LLC’s are not acceptable and if you submit experience under those firms, they will reject those experiences. They want to make sure you have worked at a company where at least 75% of the ownership are licensed professionals.

Jan 2, 21 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Dory24

Hi, just happened to see this post - do you know if this firm types requirement is specific for the firms practiced in NY? Do they require any firms types outside of NY as well?

Mar 13, 24 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Only a requirement if you want to get licensed in BYS. So if you work for a regular corporation (ex. Acme Architects, Inc) based in california, your experience will count toward licensure in California, but not NYS. Even if you get licensed in California first, when you go for your NYS license, this will become an issue.

Mar 13, 24 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

NYS*

Mar 13, 24 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

This is one thing that NYS will definitely verify. I submitted hours earned under my firm and the firm name I used did not exactly match the name of the NY registered entity and the board reviewer flagged it.

Mar 14, 24 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Dory24

I do wish to get licensed in NYS to get away from the demanding EESA... I've asked them if my firms outside of NY as LLC is okay but they said they cannot answer this until the review is done. I'm wondering even if they flagged any of the experiences, if NCARB accept them, should there still be any problems?

Mar 15, 24 9:51 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

LLC’s don’t count

Mar 15, 24 10:15 am  · 
 · 
ArchKid

Jan 2, 21 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Probably be easier to finish up your licensing in Canada then apply for reciprocity. The link I posted previously has numerous combinations of ways to qualify with NY as your first state. There’s also a contact link on there. Email them and ask. Don’t assume people on this forum know the answer. Your situation is not common in NY for first registration.
Jan 4, 21 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: