Archinect
anchor

NYS Licensure

Continuum

Hey folks. I heard from a colleague that you need three years of work experience in NYS to be licensed. But I can't find this requirement anywhere online. For example, in NJ I can clearly find information that says "three years of work experience."

If I have an NAAB accredited degree, completed lawful AXP hours from various places, and finished ARE exams, am I set for New York State license? Or does my work experience really have to be from NY?

Thank you for the clarification.

May 2, 20 3:01 pm
Bench

contact NCARB. If you have an active account it will have an automatic tracker for you.

May 2, 20 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Formerlyunknown

No, the experience does not need to be from New York.  Yes, NY does require 3 full years of experience.  You find this information on New York's Office of the Professions website.

May 2, 20 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Continuum

Hey, I don't find this information anywhere on their website.. or, if I understood those "units" information correctly -

I need 12 points total.

NAAB accredited school = 9 units
1 year of experience = 1 unit
3 years of experience = 3 units

But it also says a Masters is equal to 1 unit, which means I only need 2 years of experience!? Does M. Arch II count?

1  · 
Formerlyunknown

Since you have an NAAB-accredited degree, you're in Category A.  

Per the site:  "For applicants in Category A, a total of at least eight years of education and experience is required in order to obtain 12 units of credit." 

Usually an M.Arch II (a post-professional M.Arch) is not considered a professional degree, because most post-professional degrees are not accredited, so typically you cannot get an extra 1 unit for that degree.  Usually you can only get that extra 1 unit if you actually have 2 NAAB-accredited degrees (for instance an accredited M.Arch on top of an accredited B.Arch) which is fairly unusual.

Beyond that, if you have questions about your specific situation, you should take it up with NYS.

· 

It actually depends on how NYS classifies the M.Arch II program. NYS treated my M.Arch II as a professional degree atop my B.Arch. Unsure why... But I can also confirm that not all 3 years need to be in NYS.

· 
thatsthat

They do actually review the M.Arch II on a case-by-case basis. They classify depending on what the program was and what the curriculum covers. So it is impossible for us to give a good response to this question. The OP really has to contact NYS and just send in your information. When I've called them, they were pretty specific that they couldn't give specific information about how they classify programs over the phone.

· 
Lot17

Hello, I graduated with a pre-professional degree from a non-accredited program, and I am working as a junior designer at an architecture firm. If I were to get a MArch I degree that is accredited, can my MArch degree count as Category A for units? or does Category A only account for BArch degrees?

· 
Bench

As said so many times now - you should call the NYS licensing board. I can confirm from personal experience that it is rarely straightforward.

1  · 
Continuum

^

May 2, 20 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archlic.htm#
Sep 15, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: