Archinect
anchor

References: Buildings With Conjoined Forms

JCArchi

To the Archinect forum regulars and lurkers alike,

I'm currently searching for some successful and/or interesting examples of buildings that have conjoined forms that compliment or contrast with each other to create a dialogue. For example: eccentricity vs restraint, opaque vs transparent, horizontal vs vertical, transitions in materiality, etc.

One work I have looked at is SOM's Lever House, where its strong vertical volume is grounded by it's horizontal block that's penetrated by an open court. I haven't found the correct verbiage to find useful results via searches and don't know many examples off the top of my head. Any examples you all could toss out there would be a big help.

I'm hoping that the fact I'm not asking for a thesis topic or free architectural advice will keep me in the good graces of the usual suspects and garner some good recommendations.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 18 11:54 pm
randomised

Could you maybe sketch what it is you're after?

Oct 23, 18 3:49 am  · 
 · 
JCArchi

That is probably what I should have started with. The image below is a massing placeholder from a project I'm working on. I want to retain the scales of each component (slim vertical core excluded), but figure out how to create a dialogue between the two to prevent them from reading as mass with a uniform sameness. I am wary of just pushing and pulling to create an interesting form and want to study some examples that take a more considered approach in the way the different parts compliment each other.

I hope this makes it a little clearer, I think my way of wording it is what has prevented me from finding relevant examples.

Oct 23, 18 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had Steven Holl's Simmons Hall (MIT) in mind based on your original question. It has amorphous blobs contained within a larger rectilinear shape. This massing example above is more like "glued together ikea furniture".

Oct 23, 18 8:44 am  · 
 · 
JCArchi

I'm a fan of that building, I'll look into it a bit more. I do enjoy the idea of something contained within something that directly opposes that form or void. The Ikea furniture is exactly what I want to avoid, but it was just to illustrate the adjacency and intersection of forms and difference in scale.

Oct 23, 18 8:58 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Would the Wexner Center fit what you're after?  I personally dislike most of that building. 

Oct 23, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
JCArchi

Yes, great example. Thank you!

Oct 23, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If you have a boner for cylinders and triangles penetrating rectangles then image google Michael Graves' entire career. 

Oct 23, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

The Porter House by SHoP ... although, I'm seeing from your comment that maybe this is an example of what you're trying to avoid.

Oct 23, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
JCArchi

It is a little direct in the way it sits on the existing building, but I like the studies they show on their site about the way its light helps highlight the facade pattern/rhythm. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Oct 23, 18 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
JCArchi

Another building I found is the Marlow Theatre by Keith Williams Architects. 

Oct 23, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

John Hejduk - Wall House

Hell, even Corbu's Villa Savoye would be worth a look. 

Do they not beat you over the head with these buildings in school?

Oct 23, 18 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
JCArchi

Villa Savoye was certainly an instrument used for beatings of the head during undergrad, but I am not familiar with Hejduk's Wall House. Sometimes the brain just needs a spark and it all comes back to me. Thanks for the recommendation!

Oct 23, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Villa Savoye was certainly an instrument used for beatings of the head during undergrad" 

Now there's a bumper sticker for ya!

Oct 23, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Sorry for my puerile humor - the word "conjoined" always reminds me of"

Oct 23, 18 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If this is something you're really interested in, you need to add some focus on how the different elements join.  This, in real life, can be a less-than-elegant condition if not properly executed.  In school, you don't need to worry as much, but should at least acknowledge the limitations of materials and try to design to accommodate those limitations. 

Oct 24, 18 8:07 am  · 
 · 
JCArchi

Sorry for the delayed reply, midterm madness is in full swing here. You are correct, though, it will be something that I'm focusing on during the development of this project. We have the opportunity to focus on 1-2 moments in our design that we progress as much as possible to a CD level. I'm hoping that I can focus on the connections of materials being used in mine, more specifically corner connections. Thanks for the input!

Oct 25, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: