Archinect
anchor

A poll - drafting

Wilma Buttfit

How many years experience did you have before you didn't have to draft anymore? thanks.

Aug 20, 18 1:41 pm
Non Sequitur

I'm scratching the 10y mark now and still do 100% of my drafting as well as most (if not all) of the CA duties.  4 out 6 of our office's equity partners draft regularly.

I do have some colleagues at the same exp rate who do 0% drafting.  I can't imagine handing over total quality control of a project like that.

Aug 20, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

27 years working on this shit, and I still can't communicate a design idea without drafting, my bad.

Aug 20, 18 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

It's a tricky question, because it depended on the type of firm I worked in.  Early on there was one large firm where I wasn't expected to draft once i made it to a "senior concept designer" role - at which point I had about 3 years of experience - but that was a large firm with several branch offices, each of which had about a 15 to 1 ratio of production people to dedicated designers - so most people are expected to draft for much longer, or forever.  Later I made a switch to a very small firm, where, because of the size and our own philosophies, I did the majority of the drafting on my own projects, even when I moved into an ownership role.  By the time I left that firm I had about 12 years of experience and my following jobs were in senior project manager roles, where in most cases I wasn't expected to draft much, though sometimes I did, and sometimes still do (with 20+ years' experience).

Aug 20, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

At 8 years right now. I draft alot but not 100% - I do plenty of redlines and guiding of Jr. staff in drafting, but that's only because I don't have time to draw it all myself. 

When there is something really special or complicated, I almost always end up drawing it - partially trust issues, partially an experience/ knowledge thing.

Aug 20, 18 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

In the 8-10 year bucket currently and I draft maybe 10% and only in the following situations: too complicated for jr staff to draw; thinking through something; there wasn't anyone else around to do it. 

In the 4-5 year range I was nearly 100% drafting. At 5-7 it was closer to 50%. 

Aug 20, 18 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Trick question.  I didn't 'have to' draft the second I had production staff under me.  But; the second I didn't have enough production staff under me, I had to draft.  Still do from time to time.

If you were to say drafting as a primary job function, I'd say around the 5 years licensed for me... but I was in a unique position taking over the family firm and doing more of the management/marketing roles.

Aug 20, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

I'm far from your normal or typical case, so I wouldn't take this as much of a common benchmark or even something to strive for, but ...

I had less than 2 years of intern/unlicensed experience before I took a position at a firm that didn't require me to draft. I still work with drawings, many times 'sketch drafting' a detail to illustrate something to someone, but I haven't opened up CAD or Revit to produce drawings since I started this position. I can't say I miss it that much. 

Aug 20, 18 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

with a little over 10 years exp I don't draw nearly as much anymore, maybe 50%,  Lots of meetings to attend, but also because I'm not very good with revit, and don't have much motivation to learn it.  its better for the younger staff to draw while I redline.  If I can keep 3-4 people drawing than we all come out ahead.

Aug 20, 18 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It doesn't matter how many years of experience I have, someone with more years of experience will inevitably "draft" something that I then have to "draft" to revise.

The younger hires know how to BIM well-enough that they never have to draft. It's always the old timers muckin' up the works.

Aug 20, 18 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What's considered drafting?

Aug 21, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 

When you slip in really close behind someone and get drawn along in their wake.

Aug 21, 18 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
spacefragments

I'm on my 14th year now.  I love drafting and I do it everyday.

Aug 21, 18 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I always kind of preferred to do most if not all of my drafting work myself because a) I didn't enjoy pure design that much, b) most of the junior people were so incredibly bad that I ended up redoing half their work anyway in order to make the intent clear and keep us out of liability, 3) I don't think you can really understand how your building really goes together unless you draft it yourself, and 4) I truly hated the administrative end of practice.

It always seems to me like architects who think they are too good to do drafting are like a dentist who can't stand the thought of sticking his hand in somebody mouth.  What the fuck did they think the work product was if not documents for construction.

Aug 22, 18 8:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

The work product can be an idea, a concept, a coalition of stakeholders, a spreadsheet, a happy client, etc.

Aug 22, 18 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Comment of the week right here. Gold star sticker for you.

Aug 22, 18 8:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Oh! Thank you, [Archinect] members! Mom and Dad, "yeah, look! Whoo! Thank you, Mom and Dad, for turning me on to such a groovy profession. Oh, my dad, my mom, they loved [architecture] so much. I remember my mom getting all of us kids to [draft] at her parties, you know, my dad sitting me on his bed and teaching me all of the basics of [Revit] for a role [as BIM manager]. They loved [architecture] so much and I feel an extension of them, you know, this is honoring them as much as it is me." ; )

Aug 22, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
citizen

"Once you've produced the idea, please send it over with an invoice and we'll cut you a check."

Aug 26, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I threw out my back twice in one week. I just can't do it for hours and hours a day anymore. 

Aug 22, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I actually like drawing though.

Aug 26, 18 7:00 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Drawing is awesome fun, or can be.

Aug 26, 18 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Been drafting for 61 years if you count two years' student summer work.  I can't really finalize a detail if I don't actually draw it myself.   I hate CAD but have occasional clients who demand it. 

Nov 14, 18 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: