Archinect
anchor

How Long Must Professionals Endure?

Shaw

With so many inconsistencies, hardships, unfair practices, and hypocritical positions in the profession of Architecture, and with so much stonewalling, so many deaf ears turned against previous voices for real change for the better, - all of this begs an important and even urgent question: how long must those people in the profession, who suffer under these types of oppressions, endure? The reference has been made to the profession being a 'club' - and though this is not true of everyone in the profession, it is true of everyone who can make or break policies who is satisfied with the status quo because it serves them well, but could not care in the least about the plight of others. Clearly, this is the way things are. There is also a second question, which goes hand-in-hand with the first question - what should be done? And there are other questions as well, no doubt, but first things first:                                                                                                                                                 (A) There are very real longstanding problems                                           (B) These have been longstanding problems without happy resolution     (C) How long should this be allowed to continue?                                     (D) What should be done?                                                                                                                                                                                            It goes without saying that this is all very complex to resolve, but it is possible. Based on what has transpired on these various Threads, I believe I have seen many plausible solutions already - they just aren't being accepted by the ones who could make a difference, those who have the power and authority to reform bad policies and practices in favor of the best policies and practices. In short, it's almost as like the analogy of a kingdom with a bad or indifferent king and/or queen, who enjoy the best of the bounty, while their subjects suffer and starve - and they consistently turn a deaf ear to their cries and pleas for help.                                                                                                                                                                      

Jun 29, 18 7:16 pm
Shaw

The A-B-C-D lines of thought lined up before publishing - oh well! Webmaster, help?                                                                                    Peter O' Toole did Hamlet onstage with his sunglasses on, so there is hope for me yet.......

Jun 29, 18 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

With so many inconsistencies, hardships, unfair practices, and hypocritical positions in the profession of Architecture, and with so much stonewalling, so many deaf ears turned against previous voices for real change for the better, - all of this begs an important and even urgent question: how long must those people in the profession, who suffer under these types of oppressions, endure? The reference has been made to the profession being a 'club' - and though this is not true of everyone in the profession, it is true of everyone who can make or break policies who is satisfied with the status quo because it serves them well, but could not care in the least about the plight of others. Clearly, this is the way things are. There is also a second question, which goes hand-in-hand with the first question - what should be done? And there are other questions as well, no doubt, but first things first:                                                                                                                                                 (A) There are very real longstanding problems                                           (B) These have been longstanding problems without happy resolution     (C) How long should this be allowed to continue?                                     (D) What should be done?                                                                                                                                                                                            It goes without saying that this is all very complex to resolve, but it is possible. Based on what has transpired on these various Threads, I believe I have seen many plausible solutions already - they just aren't being accepted by the ones who could make a difference, those who have the power and authority to reform bad policies and practices in favor of the best policies and practices. In short, it's almost as like the analogy of a kingdom with a bad or indifferent king and/or queen, who enjoy the best of the bounty, while their subjects suffer and starve - and they consistently turn a deaf ear to their cries and pleas for help.                                                                                                                                                                      

Jun 29, 18 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Ah well.....I tried!   Before you blindfoldme, may I have a cigarette?

Jun 29, 18 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Thank you RickB-Astoria! So appreciate your kind help. 

I'm just someone who is trying to learn, sharing experiences, and trying to see if my hunches have been right about problems in the profession. 

Jun 29, 18 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

can you be more specific about what you want to change?  is this one of those 'i don't want to take a test' threads?

Jun 29, 18 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Amazing response--"i don't want to take a test". I wish I could be so stupid to dismiss challenges to the status quo that easily.

Jun 29, 18 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what are you challenging? what status quo?

Jun 29, 18 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

For me, I realized that I was not cut-out for licensure, and I had taken the test in part and whole a couple of times several years ago. The more investigation I have done on what's involved with having a license and what I wanted to do in art, design, preservation, and architectural illustration, assisting other architects was very fulfilling. All I want is for NCARB and the State Board to allow people like myself to be titled architects because that's what the public, media, the neighborhood, friends in the AIA (see?) and allied disciplines call me all the time. And work within the boundaries of the law, and honor my registered colleagues by not competing with them, but at the same time, being freer to do work that the law allows also (houses, barns, storefronts, Pre-Design requests, etc.). That's all I want - and so many others want it too, and it's not unreasonable. 

Registered architects can 'go with Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay to the peak of Everest' - I'm happy at Camp 7 (lower on the Mountain) and even in the Valley. Let's not kid ourselves - the aspects of professional jealosy and pride aren't worth mentioning, not even to speak of competition - but it is an element at the root of the problem. 

It's a matter of Logic: What do you call someone who has graduated-earned a terminal degree from a school of architecture? ....................?    Let those who have earned something be allowed to enjoy it. Let those who have earned more be allowed much more to enjoy, but not penalize and try to keep down those who may not want, or may not be able to earn more. Everyone's station in life is different.      

Jun 29, 18 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

What do you call someone who has graduated-earned a terminal degree from a school of architecture?

Unprepared.

Jun 29, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: