Archinect
anchor

Architect Fee Regulation

joelméndez

Hi, from Dom. Rep.

in my country we have an organization named "CODIA" and they take care of regulate and publish the document, about the minimum fee of the profesion, either per hour, per porcentage of the cost for construction, etc...
i need something like that, in different countries focused in BIM methodology

Jan 31, 18 12:20 am
b3tadine[sutures]

Look to our friends in Canada, they have great documents on the internet about how to think about fees.

Jan 31, 18 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yes, yes we do.
Jan 31, 18 7:48 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I use it, as a "guide" and it helps me consider basic services, so I don't miss anything. It really demonstrates a clearer sense of our value.

Jan 31, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You can cut those fees by 1/3 at least to get a real sense of what it takes to be competitive.

Jan 31, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've checked out those Canadian resources too. Yup, illegal in the states. Can I suggest we stop using the word fees? Fees implies there is no work done, just a price to get past the gate. Let's start calling it compensation. 

Jan 31, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 

com·pen·sa·tion noun 

something, typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering. "seeking compensation for injuries suffered at work"

Yes, that is much more accurate.

Jan 31, 18 11:54 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I like fee better because it's directly associated with money. Compensation is any benefit. "Isn't the thrill of design compensation enough?", says the incredulous client.

Jan 31, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'd say, sure the design is free which means the compensation is for the drawing and coordinating of the plans, obtaining a building permit, creating a scope of work for a bidder, etc.

Jan 31, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

To be very clear, the Canadian guidelines are just that - guidelines. Just like in the US, price fixing is illegal here too. The only time we really refer to the guidelines is to show clients that they're getting good value for their fees - because we always, always charge much less than the guideline fees

Jan 31, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

http://entrearchitect.com/2017...

The AIA has been part of the history of the problem.

Jan 31, 18 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Money shouldn't be a 4-letter word.... but for some reason in our education it is. This is a fantastic journal that every architecture student should read before entering the real profession: Amazon: Perspecta 47: Money

Jan 31, 18 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Architects have always been in love with the romance of the suffering and starving artist. Either that, or the rich scion who is doing it as a hobby. Neither vision is very suitable for a middle class schlub living in the real world.

Feb 1, 18 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If money is a dirty word, call it currency. (looks like a good book).

Feb 1, 18 10:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: