Archinect
anchor

What are you reading?

Tinbeary There there

Image result for pro practice paul segal

It's a fast read, good for review and building confidence moreso than learning revolutionary stuff. 

What are you reading? (Need not be directly related to architecture because everything is indirectly related to architecture therefore relevant.)

Sep 22, 17 11:19 am
Tinbeary There there

and this quote that isn't mine but that I heard once... not all smart people read but all people who read are smart.

Sep 22, 17 11:31 am
randomised

In my opinion it should be: "Not all people who read are smart but all smart people read."

3 books from the library, but they all sucked, so I won't publicly name them. The SF Chronicle is next (which likely also sucks). Then I am going to clean out the garage and install some pegboard.

I decided to take Fridays off in addition to Mondays because I made the horrible decision to do some drawings for a "contractor". Won't do that again. Before that, it was just Mondays, to avoid all the angry robots going through their various Monday idiot rituals.

Sep 22, 17 11:43 am
Tinbeary There there

libraries have audio books on an app called Overdrive, you might like it cause you can listen while you work. Use your library card. Free audio books! Also LIbrivox.org.

I play vinyl while I work, the turntable is 3' away. Marnie listens to books in the car but she drives more than me. I refuse to schedule meetings, in general. Being old and cranky has some benefits.

I have been playing a lot of Bastard Fairies because I am doing a video for one of their songs.

shji

'Trading for a Living' by Alexander Elder.

Sep 22, 17 11:43 am
JLC-1

I just found this book, it's refreshing

Sep 22, 17 11:45 am

Big fan of Michael Pollan, I'll have to add this to my list

I was about halfway through Tom Vanderbilt's Survival City before I took back up studying for the ARE. Now that I'm done, I'll have to figure out what box this ended up in when we packed up the office (with all our books) and turned it into the nursery. 

Sep 22, 17 11:55 am

If I lose interest in one halfway, I don't bother to find it again

It wasn't really a loss of interest, but the need to focus on other things in my spare time.

the funny thing is it is all spare time

quondam...

on the table this week:

Danto, After the End of Art

Derrida, Dissemination

Empson, 7 Types of Ambiguity

Owens, The Allegorical Impulse: Toward a Theory of Postmodernism

Sep 22, 17 12:34 pm
deepshah1991

would love to read derrida : dissemination

Bench

Currently:

Nate Silver, The Signal and the Noise
Ben Coates, Why the Dutch are Different
Greg Mortensen, Three Cups of Tea
Jon Krakauer, Three Cups of Deceit
Jon Krakauer, Into Thin Air
J. D. Vance, Hillbilly Elegy

I literally never read fiction.

Sep 22, 17 1:37 pm

same here, I'll watch a fiction movie once in a great while

cool, thanks, will check out the Vance and Coates

randomised

Would like to know why I'm different.

The Library would also like to know. The Dutch "helped" get slavery going in the "New World" for one.

randomised

That was "just" business I suppose. If grandmothers were of value for more than knitting they'd ship them half across the globe back in the day and sell them to the highest bidder.

thatsthat

I don't really read much fiction past the rogue sci-fi/fantasy novel, but I am into food history and cookbooks.  Also I'm a sucker for biographies even if they're not very well written. :-\

Just finally finished:

• Carrie Fisher, The Princess Diarist
  • Dana Goodyear, Anything that Moves

Just now starting:

• Bee Wilson, Consider the Fork
Sep 22, 17 1:44 pm
curtkram

robert jordan, wheel of time.  pretty close to branden sanderson's wheel of time.

Sep 22, 17 1:50 pm

This is what I've actually been reading today, rather than simply aspiring to read: ASCE/SEI 7-10: Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. Chapter 13 more specifically ... gotta make sure stuff doesn't fall off the building and injure or kill people in an earthquake.

Sep 22, 17 2:32 pm
Schoon

A staple! I've been through chapter 26 more times than I'd like to admit.

Chapter 26 and 30 were earlier this week.

Tom Waits on Tom Waits, edited by Paul Maher Jr.

And So It Goes, Kurt Vonnegut: A Life, by Charles J Shields

Sep 22, 17 4:52 pm

wow, the Maher intro sucks

Schoon

Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormack McCarthy

Almost finished with it too.  I'm thinking I'll either start the next of Le Carre's Smiley's People series or get into some sci-fi for my next read.  Suggestions? 

Sep 22, 17 5:06 pm

Consider Phlebus.

Stanislaw Lem. For starters either The Star Diaries or The Futurological Congress.

Also Oldenburg's Notes In Hand

Sep 22, 17 7:21 pm
ilovearchitecture

omg thanks for introducing this book.

randomised

Annie M.G. Schmidt short stories and poems at the moment.

Last novel I finished was Michel Houellebecq's Atomised and after that I picked up the same book with a different title, Elementary Particles, thinking it was a different novel. Turned out it was the US translation of the same French original, noticed only after a couple of chapters it all seemed too predictably familiair, haven't read any fiction since.

Still have a stack of Murakami's to go through at some point, but since I don't commute any more I never have or make time for reading. Should probably quit archinect for a bit :-/

Sep 23, 17 12:54 am
ilovearchitecture

Murakami is great.

c

The Unwomanly Face of War / Alexievich
Infrastructure as an Asset Class / Alfen, Weber
Les Trois Veuves de Hong Kong / De Villiers (SAS#12 yeeeya !)
( next up : 7th function of Language / Binet  )

@chicaletta, segal tought my pro pract. class, he was a good guy

@randomised, check out  7th Function / Binet

Sep 23, 17 10:02 pm
randomised

Okay

Tinbeary There there

c, it took me many, many years to gather all the information given in that book. It's bittersweet that I found it in an easy to read format. I want to highlight it and send copies of it to people. 7th function sounds like a good read, I put the audiobook on my list. (chicka, with a different name).

deepshah1991

Rethinking Modernity by jaimini mehta.

Open source Architecture by Carlo Ratti

Sep 24, 17 6:42 am
fictional\_/Christopher

open source looks interesting, will check out

ilovearchitecture

Travel Arrangements by M.John Harrison.

The Book of Flights by J.M.G Le Clezio. This book is weirdly architectural for me. 

Sep 24, 17 6:51 am

I recently finished The City and The City by one of my favorite writers, China Mieville. Everything of his I've read has been wonderful and both City and Perdido Street Station are must-reads for urbanists. The latter is dense and requires commitment, but so worth it.

I'm slogging through the end of a book called How Thin The Veil, which is a memoir of a man's late-60s incarceration in the Traverse City State Hospital, the Kirkbride-plan asylum that has since been closed and turned into a lifestyle center. Too much smoking, not enough architecture, IMO. But I'll finish it anyway.

And I'll put here my eternal plug for comic novel Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple which is being made into a movie by Richard Linklater!  With Cate Blanchett as the manic architect protagonist!

Sep 24, 17 11:13 am
geezertect

the Traverse City State Hospital, the Kirkbride-plan asylum that has since been closed and turned into a lifestyle center

Unintended humor?

Sep 24, 17 4:51 pm

I didn't intend it specifically as humor, but I did intend it as pointed commentary. Yes, we are a crazy country.

I get the SF Chronicle 3 times a week, I use it to line the dragon habitat.

Sep 24, 17 5:06 pm
LightMyFire66

Henry Miller, Plexus

Dostoyevsky, The Possessed 

Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward Angel

and..... the MEEB

Sep 24, 17 5:49 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

just started

rumbling through at a slower pace

reading like the biblical truth (Heidegger's essays on dwelling, poetry, technology, etc...)

on and off, thumbing through it

and a whole bunch legal stuff on Condo's, Attorney General submittal crap...

Sep 25, 17 9:05 pm
Tinbeary There there

My husband's grandma gave us a collection of Ovid's poems in Latin. I've been reading two lines a day. I should be done in about 1000 years. 

Oct 3, 17 10:08 am

F. Zeri - Behind the image

M. Eliade - Borobudur symbolic temple

Oct 7, 17 2:23 am

Drama and Intrigue!

The Economy of Renaissance Florence, Richard A. Goldthwaite

Oct 10, 17 2:50 pm
Schoon

The Russia House by John Le Carre (for fun)

Structural Stability: Theory and Implementation by Chen and Lui (because I have to)

Oct 10, 17 9:24 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: