Archinect
anchor

What kind of cars does everyone drive?

People on Archinect seem to like this type of question (after all, how old is the male clothing thread?).

I drive a 1985 VW Rabbit Cabriolet with a 16v GTI engine swapped in, and a 1997 VW GTI, and a 1984 Volvo DL, and a moped.

I have an idea that architects have an affinity for german cars. True?

Feb 17, 05 10:40 am
citizen

Best follow-up question:

How many architects' cars are black, dark grey or silver?

Feb 17, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

'92 ford explorer,"exploder"

Feb 17, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

car1: 2001 audi A4 1.8T avant, silver (my favorite)

car2: 2002 jeep granc cherokee, black (wife mostly drives)

five, i am a VW junky at heart... i can't wait to trade the jeep for a mkV GTI. and yes, I have a real affinity for German cars.

Feb 17, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
tect75

99 infiniti g20t black (wife's old car)
occasionally pull out the 2001 mustang gt (driven b4 the wife got the new car) dark grey

Feb 17, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 

booo mustang. I hope you don't pick contractors like you pick car manufacturers.

Feb 17, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Hey 3ifs, an audi is a vw. Love it that you got the avant.

Feb 17, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
mm

2000 VW Jetta VR6 (black, of course) that I rarely drive. I live in Manhattan so I rarely have a need (or desire) to drive...

This weekend I'm going up to Vermont and it'll be the first time I've driven it in weeks.

Feb 17, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

1987 BMW 325is...i love it. though i just got some sumitomo tires and they're shit...i shoulda insisted on dunlops but the salesman argued (successfully) against them.

Feb 17, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

mm...
live in brooklyn..and i only drive to move my car for street
cleaning...but i need it to drive back to boston every now and
then..

1990...honda accord 5 speed...254k miles...goldish...
with some lovely rust
but the thing just runs..i beat it up and it still runs.

follow up, follow up...do architects prefer manual or automatic...
personally i'll never buy an automatic ever again.

Feb 17, 05 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Always a manual--need to have control. Good tangent.

I would consider getting something with a CVT as a family car, though.

Feb 17, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - silver.
Just picked it up this week, before that I was driving a '89 Honda Civic CRX (silver also).

Feb 17, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
4arch

i don't like the way german cars smell...seriously. the german "new car smell" for some reason is like rotting raisins.

Feb 17, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
lking

i live in Manhattan. but i used to drive a 2002 VW Golf. I love VW's.

Feb 17, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

1987 bmw 535i, 6 cylinder, white. stereo was stolen 2 years ago and never replaced for the fear of another smashed window. 267k miles. cronic clutch problems. takes off like a puma. it had weird wheel size and i couldn't get/replace the tires for a long time finally got standart size wheels when it was available in the bone yard. it was given to me by a friend who loved it and replaced it with toyota hybrid.
i want a white corolla. new and with auto transmission. like a hertz car.
i like the beamer but her days might be numbered.
before i had a 83 325i bought from the structural engineer joseph. i gave it to a friend when i was given the 535. he still drives it with almost 300k miles. i never had a car less than 10 years old.
i had 2 dodge darts 67 & 74 before and thats my real love for cars is.

Feb 17, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

04 saab 9-3 naoctern blue
holla

Feb 17, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

2002 mazda protege 5.

Feb 17, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i am a volkswagen lover at heart as well. my first car was a '65 beetle, but it needs some work. it lives at my parent's house.

now i drive a 2001 JEEP cherokee sport, black.

i wish i had something more economical, but i don't feel so guilty having a SUV because i feel i actually use it as such and i walk to work when i know i am not going to need to drive anywhere.

Feb 17, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

2003 Ford Ranger edge package.. Black.
Bought it becuase my last automobile was a F150 and i missed it, My job required alot of construction, and it was dirt cheep new. Bu now i want the Toaster looking Scion becasue it is so ugly. I love it. I can only dream.

Feb 17, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

'01 VW Jetta VR6-black on black of course. Would kill to have an '04 GTI VR6 or modified.

Feb 17, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

i also drive an 87 325is - delfin (dark) gray

5-spd w/ short shift kit, bilstein shocks, beefed up koni anti-sway bars, and a questionably legal catalytic converter. when i drop the hammer, it takes off. in spite of the aftermarket parts, the only stickers on the car say what schools i went to, which makes dusting kids in honda civics even more satisfying

el jeffe - i got 4 new kumho ecsta's this past summer, and they've been awesome - toyo and kumho are making some really nice tires for really good prices

Feb 17, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

I'm sure kids in honda civics really care about what schools you went to. But if it makes you feel like a big man, then go for it!

Feb 17, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

92 isuzu pick-up with standard transmission. no power steering, grey with 127,000 miles give or take a couple. gas light comes on if you go over 70, windows and locks are manual, tags are expired and i am in a different state. engine light stayed on for a very long time before it went out. the muffler looks like it was hit with a 12 guage from all the rust holes, and we have welded it back on in places twice. the left blinkers flash at an alarming rate while the right flash at a lethargic pace. it got me from virginia to jacksonville to san antonio to lubbock when i first picked it up from my mom at 98,000 miles, it got me from lubbock to san antonio and back many a time, and it got me from san antonio to atlanta towing a u-haul trailer it shouldn't have been towing. it has never broken down once (though you can hear the transmission when you are changing gears, and it vibrates until i think it will fall apart)

its name is bender (futurama inspired)

Feb 17, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
CJarch

97' mitsu eclipse gsx (rice rocket)
more of a toy than a respectable means of transport.

despite what i've heard about mechanical problems, my dream car since highschool has been a vw corrado vr6.

Feb 17, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
BigGoron

I love German cars.

I have a 2003 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor. I have the 4DR sedan, the 2DR is hideous. EWW!!!!!

Feb 17, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
BigGoron

My car is white BTW. Not black...

Feb 17, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

really the comment meant that i don't have performance parts stickers or wings or body kits, but only regular old school stickers, which makes me feel tough when i beat honda civics... not so much the implication that they would care where i went to school

Feb 17, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
eu80

The most basic Honda Accord - that tan color "champagne" that every car is nowadays. The claim to fame is the 170,000 miles on a 1997 vehicle. We've put 40,000 on it in the two years we've owned it. The other claim to fame is that we can haul almost anything in it. Furniture from the side of the road on trash day is a favorite. We moved across the country with it - we even fit two large dressers and an entertainment center in it - IKEA packages their stuff extremely well. We got cocky trying to fit 4x4 peices of plywood in the back seat - impossible.

Feb 17, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
eu80

But the car sitting at my parents house (my inheritance basically) is a 1978 AMX by AMC. Yellow. I love this car so much I have actually cried at the thought of getting rid of it. No carborator at the moment but love is blind.

Feb 17, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

CJarch,

That car is as rice as they get (turbo, awd). I live in cincy, oh and this is a corrado mecca--everyone and his brother has one--my gf's little bro has one, and so do all his friends. What you heard is true, but no more true than anything about fords, chevys, american, american, american, yugos, american...........

Feb 17, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

98 regal GS with a super charger. red and silver exterior. grey leather interior.

Feb 17, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

except the GTI i hate all VWs. But give me a sl55 amg, or a bmw m3 and i will take it (who would not). so much for german cars

currently drive a 92 red toyota celica, with 100 k miles. I am astonished at how powerful the engine still is even after all these years. I routinely touch 100 mph on this baby. But still it looks kinda mediocre. Should buy a subaru wrx next.

Feb 17, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

99 Izuzu Rodeo-Black. It has survived 2 collisions. I was not driving either times. It was my bro who had it. Before this I had a Pimpin 88 Lincon Town car, 5.0 engine, smoothest ride and the coldest ac ever. Yes it was a boat, but a very confortable one.

Feb 17, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
CrimsonARC

2003 VW Jetta TDi - Black on tan. Can't beat the 50 mpg and oil changes every 15,000 miles.

Feb 17, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

its funny when you compare the architects clothing thread and the cars thread
seems like we want to wear classy fashionable clothes, while most of us cannot afford to drive sexy cars

Feb 17, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
crush

2004 black saab 9-3 arc.
holla.

Feb 17, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

'67 Volvo 122S Wagon, white, 2.0L, dual carbs. It gets driven a couple miles once a week, whether it needs it or not.

My daily rides are all bikes:

'99 Rocky Mountain Element Race
'03 Norco Sasquatch
'05 Norco A-Line (coming soon)
and a early 90's Specialized RockHopper that gets me to work and back every day.

Feb 17, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
A

2002 Acura TL type-s

Absolutely love it but want to upgrade to the new 2005 style w/std transmission.

German cars suck and are overrated.

Feb 17, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

A, not BMWs and Mercedes'

Feb 17, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
sam sung

I drive a 2004 Lexus IS300, manual, black on the outside, black leather on the inside, black wheels and badging, and I like it a lot.

Feb 17, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

1989 Jeep Cherokee. Lifted and locked.

Feb 17, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

2004 Saturn Ion2 (Storm Grey) 6214 miles.

Feb 17, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
c

1987 ford country squire - woody panelling & all. the spedometer goes limp after 80- (which i can only hit when going downhill...) One day things will be different.

Feb 17, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
TED

just signed up to trade in my prius for one of those big fancy h3 come spring!

if you cant beat them -- join them i say! its an oil economy and i might as well wake up and smell the roses!

i feel so much better now!

Feb 17, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro
Feb 17, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
UrbanDesign

1998 Lincoln Continental, love it, my friends think it's a grandpa car, then I smoke them off the line, also got a 1969 Ford Bronco, but that's just for fun. Oh, the Lincolns tan (unfortunatly) and the Bronco is a badass blue.

Feb 17, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would not advise those heels for driving a manual transmission
03 honda si wid 17"mille miglias on sumitomo's black of course only comes in a shtick

Feb 17, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Summer:
'96 Camaro RS Convertible
Red, black roof & interior
Here's an old bad pic, not showing the new vette rims or new paint:
link

Winter & Summer:
'92 BMW 325is
Black on Black coupe, inline 6
link

'88 Sunbird GT Convertible
in storage, was my first car, and I only actually drove it under a year before crashing it. It's now restored, but kind of kiddish.

Last summer I found that I really like driving the BMW, and actually drove it more than what was supposed to be the summer car.

I may be selling the first two, depending on where I end up going to school.

Feb 17, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
anonymouse

silver box

Feb 17, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hope none of us has a "rqtek" vanity plate.

Feb 17, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

tim de coster...will you give an archinect discount if i buy your bmw???

i am so bored today

Feb 17, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: