Archinect
anchor

What kind of cars does everyone drive?

ochona

my first car (cept mine was carolina blue)

i loved that car...had the V4-6-8 engine with the world's first automotive computer. had less K than a calculator watch. mine was permanently stuck in V4 mode.

0-60 in maybe

Mar 16, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

silverlake,
a friend of mine in my studio is driving his down from his hometown in alaska next week--except his has a chevy 350 in it.

Mar 16, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

silverlake- nice ride

sameolddoc- let it go, I don't see anyone judging you for 'guzzling gas' by pushing your Celica to 100mph repeatedly. Maybe everyone's vehicular needs and habits are different. I drive a truck because I sometimes haul things bigger than papers and pencils, and i GUARANTEE my vehicle use has less impact on the environment than yours does.

sorry for the rant, but the sniping judgemental comments were starting to get to me.

Mar 16, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I drive an '03 silver VW GTI 1.8T....his name is Petey....he has seat warmers.....and a manual transmission....it's my first clutch, and only thus far. I bought the car without knowing how to drive it! (Mom drove it home....)

I will say this about it. I am on a lease, and I am glad. Because when I am done with it next year I can give it back, stick out my tongue to the crappy VW service people, and go buy my Japanese Hybrid. As much as I love the Germans and their tight engineering, no one told me I'd have to go in at 7700 miles after my engine died because my coil packs were recalled.....and no one told me that the stock clutches were crap and that me learning how to drive my own car would mean I'd have to replace my $1200 clutch at 31,000 miles.....that really hacked me off, as you can imagine.

My car still has a lot of pick me up, I mean it's a turbo, and I only live a mile from work so I fill it up less than twice a month......but I just can't justify owning it anymore. Not with the dread that I feel about the environment, oil prices, etc. Plus I'm really paranoid about something else going wrong with the engine/transmission. I love VWs but I wish they would get their sh*t in order.

Mar 16, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

fro9k, wtf??? i dont see any of the SUVs posted here having a better env. impact than me pushing the celica to a 100.

Mar 16, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I'm just saying that use patterns far outweigh size and fuel efficiency. Don't get me wrong, as a cyclist nothing scares me more that a soccer mom in an Expedition on a cell phone, and I believe far more people have SUV's than need them. But you can't make blanket generalizations about wha someone is doing to the environment based on a picture of their car alone. I drive an 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup because where I am 4wd and ground clearance are constant issues. In a photo you see a 4wd truck and say 'that man is destroying our planet!' but the fact is I built it out of 2 trucks that would otherwise be polluting a junkyard somewhere, tweaked the AFM to run more efficiently at altitude, and in the 9 months that I have owned it I have literally filled the tank 4 times because I walk, bike and carpool whenever possible. So no matter what kind of mileage you are getting, if you are driving every day you are having a greater environmental impact.

Really, Im overtired and overreacting to your response to 'batiment' back on page 2. Apologies again for the rant, but maybe you see my point....

Mar 16, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

'02 Saab 9-5 Arc wagon parchment grey.
Holla

Mar 16, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

silverlake, I like it!

Looks to be in pretty nice shape - my Bro-InLaw just put one baclk together w/ a 2.4L diesel from a '90 Canadian rust-baucket 4-door L/C.

Here, in Luanda, you see a few of these, plus the later models (FJ-60's?), the real boxy things that we never got in the states.

Next time I go to Brazil, I'll bring back some 'Bandurante' parts...

Mar 17, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
A

fro9k - What really gets me is all the new parents out there that drive SUV's because they've been sold of bill of goods about them being the safest things on the road. How is that Toyota Highlander or Nissan Xterra any safer than a standard sedan? They aren't. I hate those things.

I'm mostly surprised at how many Architnecters are driving relatively new cars. Aren't we all poor? Since I originally posted my lease was up (never doing that again) and bought a 1999 Accord with cash. No car payment is great, and hybrid or not, you cannot complain about the economy and durability of Honda cars.

Seriously though, if we all make such little money why is everyone driving old beaters or new VW's? Both cost a fortune to maintain and neither are reliable.

Mar 17, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Not my car exactly, but looks pretty damn close. If you know what it is, you can call yourself a VW fan. And yes, it costs A FORTUNE to maintain. Not because it's a piece of crap, but because it's 17 years old, there's only 3 that I know of in my city, and I don't think there's a piece on it that costs less than $300. To replace the muffler, for example, parts are $1000. Egad.

Mar 17, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i was thinking of a vw. now i don't. boo hoo...
chrysler?

Mar 17, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

The reason why we all drive old beaters or new vw's (not as much new vw's - maybe old vw's) is that everyone and their stepmom is driving civics, accords, or corrollas and architects like to be a little bit different. We don't like buying target furniture or driving what everyone else is driving. Tell me that's not a beautiful car. Once a guy pulled up next to me and offered me his porsche straight up for it. It was a 944 and purple but a porsche nontheless.

Mar 17, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
nosnarb

'03 Land Rover Freelander SE3...bright yellow to match my lack of personality

oh yeah and a Yeti FRO

http://members.cox.net/jnbyoung/images/IMG_0319.JPG

Mar 17, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Lord I ain't goin down to no race track,
to see no sports car run
I don't have no sports car,
and I don't even care to have one
I can walk
any time
around the block

Mar 17, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

I mostly get around in my vespa, but my most priceless possession is my 1968 Volvo 123GT, (B18bEngine & M41 transmission). It was my father’s. He bought it from a Canadian friend while in grad school, we took it all apart, it took us three year to put it back to its original condition plus we added a few modern comforts. I don’t drive it often, but it’s so fun, the wife got the Volvos 60.

Mar 17, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Here it is--

Mar 17, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
A

pollen - I don't disagree with your "architects like to be unique" analogy but I think it's unfortunate that in our modern society we've connected the cars we drive with our personality. I'll even go so far as to say that driving a VW doesn't even make one unique since it has become synonmous with trendy. If you really want to be different why aren't you driving a brand new Buick? That will seperate you far more than a new Jetta.

Besides, my confusion was about the cost of ownership. Everyone complains about our wages, but then they seem to freely dump money into cars, which are very very expensive. Granted, I've always thought German cars had some nice lines, but the purchase price combined with maintenance costs kept them out of my league. Sure, today I could afford a new Passat, but for the money the Honda is cheaper for just as good of ride. I'm still not in the income bracket where I can afford to dump money into a car that freely. Even if I was I still think there are better things to identify myself with than a car. Guess it all comes down to your perrogative.

Mar 17, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Apurimac, my dad used to have a Focus sedan as a company car and I loved it. my brother who's all into trucks always gave it shit, but it was a damn good little car. I love small cars.

as for me, I've got a hand-me-down 1995 Chevrolet Lumina sedan, green. and best of all it came pre-dented from my grandparents' driving! It drives like a dream though (so smooth compared to the other cars I've driven, it being my first sedan). it's not so great on gas and on the larger size, but it's free and has the sentimental connection. I call it The Lu or sometimes just Lou.

Mar 17, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

I cant aford one. In La no less.

Yes my job eats huge amounts of ass!

Mar 17, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Saturn

Black 2004 RX-8
Greddy Turbo With Intercooler
Greddy Cat-Back Exhaust
Greddy Cold Air Intake

Mar 17, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oooh silverlake I looove that Landcruiser! That car in blue was my high school car - I'd fold down the seats in the back and load in my friends. I told my husband I want one of those for him to hotrod for me - he was appalled.

So instead I have the '63 T-bird (Ruby) who is garaged until we have the time and money to make her as sweet and nasty as I know she will be. I need to just go ahead and buy the Maharam Presto-Chango metallic vinyl upholstery I know I want for her. In sapphire blue. I'm afraid it's gonna be discontinued.

My daily driver is a Subaru Impreza. I'm such a friggin' mom. But it really is a great little car.

Mar 18, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i drive a one eyed malibu without a muffler...how's that clutch holding up lb???

Mar 18, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
trip to fame

'86 Mercedes 420 SEL - Sky Blue

'03 Mazda Protoge5 - Silver

Wish List:
60's Porsche speedster

Mar 19, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

my baby blue 79 oldsmobile delta 88 was burned by a pyromaniac
then i had a 88 taurus with a skin disease
and now drive monte carlo ss 98 - who's heater core exploded thursday
forcing me to drive down lake shore drive with my head out the window
\as the cabin filled with glycol vapor

Mar 19, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
urbanisto

italian design
unreliable
unfunctional

never want to drive any other car again

Mar 20, 06 4:22 am  · 
 · 
urbanisto

forgot the type:

alfa romeo 156

Mar 20, 06 5:02 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

'05 xterra offroad
'02 jetta gli

... saving up for an Audi RS4 and '61 Jag. E-Type Coupe

Mar 20, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
snooker

SouthPole, I used to have one of those....all it Life and Arizona Car, from the time it got off the Boat. I drove it all the way thru school,
and sold it to a friend for a dollar, and her kid drove it to school until she forgot to top off the brake fluid. She had a bumper with it and inturn sold it to a friend for a dollar. I belive my old 4door volvo is still running around the desert, just because it can.

Mar 20, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

SouthPole, I used to have one of those....all of its Life an Arizona Car, from the time it got off the Boat. I drove it all the way thru school, and sold it to a friend for a dollar, and her kid drove it to school until she forgot to top off the brake fluid. She had a bumper with it and inturn sold it to a friend for a dollar. I belive my old 4door volvo is still running around the desert, just because it can.

Mar 20, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Pollen its a Corrado/a and it was my dream car in high school because once doing about 105mph I was overtaken by one and then it disappeared. I found out later that they were crap cars - good at going fast but you better pray...

ultimate is a MINI cooper SS (blk with a jamaican flag on the roof) or Peugot 206 GtII ala WRC Momo sport to just be a wank

abra - Murcutt drives one of those Citroens (actually he has two)

sad thing is i need an SUV for site visits but I'd love a wee car to zip around in

Mar 20, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
topflite9000

I drive a bus. A blue one.

Big blue bus.

Mar 21, 06 3:28 am  · 
 · 
standardsofa

one day w/ money

but for now

Mar 29, 06 3:19 am  · 
 · 
French

This is the first car I owned, back in 1991...

[imghttp://aebergon.club.fr/photos_Talbot/Samba_Bahia_profil.jpg[/img]

But my brother destroyed it while I was in the US:(

Mar 29, 06 4:51 am  · 
 · 
French

sorry

Mar 29, 06 5:07 am  · 
 · 
French
Mar 29, 06 5:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: