Archinect
anchor

What kind of cars does everyone drive?

jbirl

98 VW golf, manual, red.
I walk mostly.

My wife has a 88 VW cabriolet, manual, black. Hardly ever drives it.

We are thinking about buying a honda element-

Feb 17, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 411 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper Edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.

Feb 17, 05 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

1971 Go-Green Hemi Cuda Convertible with pistol grip shifter and 4:10 Dana rear.

Feb 17, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

sameolddoctor:

LOL, I"ll let you know if/when it happens. Maybe I'll end up ebaying both cars... that's how I got the red one. Kind of an impulse buy. Since it was in Florida and I'm in Wisconsin that made it interesting. I bought it from a guy named Ed Sullivan (no lie). There's way more to the story, but no room to tell it here. It turned out as good exprience though.

Feb 17, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

2003 VW GTI 1.8T, Silver, 17" Siata wheels (link), 5 speed manual of course. Something about small quick cars and architects. My IDP mentor (63 year old ex-hippie) drives a '78 RX7 with a modified engine - something like 280 HP.

Feb 17, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i got 350 heads on a 305 engine
i get ten miles to the gallon
i aint got no good intentions...

drive by truckers

Feb 17, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

99 Suzuki GS500... anyone else riding on 2 wheels?

Feb 17, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

right now, a 97 Acura 3.2TL. 120,000 miles. But I do miss the Cadillac I drove in school...1990 Sedan Deville. Ahh, the beast was sweet. I learned to parallel park with the best of them. And could pack in the people. But after 225,000 miles, I had to jump start it to drive across town to drop it off at the Goodwill store. sigh.

Feb 17, 05 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

oh, and yes, it had a padded vinyl top. that's right. all you with your bimmers & german cars haven't LIVED.

Feb 17, 05 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
a+127

98 VW Golf White

Feb 18, 05 12:58 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Yes to Inferno...an almost illegal '93 Yamaha FZR600 and a workhorse 2002 4x4 Dodge Durango. Occasionally a 1995 Gary Fisher T6061 Aluminum mountain bike, one of the top designs. No guts - no glory. I just can't dig German cars, although another (architect also) friend has an Audi and a VR-6. I can't stand getting stuck in the snow.

Feb 18, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
zepplin100

before architecture: '99 Jeep Wrangler with 35's

after architecture: '02 Audi S4 Avant in black with sliver mirrors & silver roof rack and blue suede seats.

Feb 18, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Reyes

I drive a 2005 Toyota Corolla, white. It looks like a giant egg.

Feb 18, 05 4:45 am  · 
 · 

after my volvo 242, my volvo 245, my alfa milano, my volvo 760 turbo, all of which i loved dearly, i began teaching an hour and a half away from home.

made the jump to a 2003 honda civic hybrid which already has 40K on it. a great car, but not nearly as much personality.

our other car is a saab 9-3 convertible. my wife only likes saabs.

Feb 18, 05 7:49 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

I drive a 1974 Porsche 911 targa. Black with golden stripes on the sides. In the summer half of the year anyhow. In the winter I have a much larger car. Fits about 50 people comfortable, but I dont get to drive it myself and the guy behind the wheel always insists on "exact change".

Feb 18, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

zepplin, you drive one of my top five dream cars...

Feb 18, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 

jbirl -
very similar taste, you and I (I also have an A1 cabby and an A3 golf), and I would very much like to get an element (so efficient!)

zepplin-
you get the award for best cars on archinect--the best of both worlds

steven ward-
242 turbo coupe? Love it.

Feb 18, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 

it seems archinect members are equally divided into two categories:
1. those with great cars
2. those with terrible american cars
MOPAR=Most Original Parts Already Replaced

Feb 18, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

zepplin- awesome. where did you get blue suede seats?

Feb 18, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 

zepplin - i'm hopelessly out of it. what are 35's?

Feb 18, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 

five - that 242 was the only car i ever had that demanded very particular kinds of music: wagner, marvin, or coltrane - always with the sunroof open, of course. even if i had to have the heat on...

finally had to get rid of it when the seats caved in and could find no workable replacements that would allow access to the back seat. after '81-'82, they quit producing two-doors and therefore quit making floppable seats.

Feb 18, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

2001 4x tundra v8 extra cab with canopy. for a sport truck this thing is fast. . . and powerful. love the canopy for camping and road tripping.

Feb 18, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 

aemkei
If you are playing fair, zepplin has some competition

Feb 18, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 

steven-
35s refer to huge 35 inch diameter offroad tires

Feb 18, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
jbirl

five,
i catch what you're throwin.
i have twin boys and the four of us and all the kid crap does not fit all that well in a golf. It fits, but we look like a clown car.

Feb 18, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
form64

Mt first car was a 1959 Beetle. I've had 5 VW's and one Audi over the last 20+ years. All German but all practical German value cars. I use my cash for developing real estate, not driving the stereotypical architects Porsche.

I now drive a HIGHLY modifed Passat wagon. Great for hauling bicycles and small building materials (as well as hauling ass)

MY RIDE

Feb 18, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

"the stereotypical architects Porsche"

I haven't met a single architect that drives the stereotypical porsche...

Feb 18, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hahah yes form64 that is funny

and zeppelin, good job!!!

Feb 18, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

nice, form64--looks like zepplin has some competition. but don't kid yourself--I'm sure you could have put yourself into a porsche for what it cost to build that pretty thing. notice how many VW modders are on the arch forum. coincidence?

Feb 18, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
norm

In order of preference...
'96 BMW K1100RS/SE - yup - it's a 2 wheeler.
'83 280ZX 2+2 w/ T-Tops
'01 Dodge Dakota Pick-up

Feb 18, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

if the stereotypical architect drove a porsche, i bet there would be a lot more people trying to get into architecture school.

nice passat though...

i modded my old POS 2001 GTI vr6, but eventually the problems pissed me off bad enough that i felt i had to get rid of it.

Feb 18, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
form64
five

, I built and installed everything on that car myself so it wasn't as much as you might expect. But yes, it still was about 12k of parts on top of the cost of the new car but not as much as a Porsche. :) And it's definitely more unique!

pixelwhore, I guess when I was younger, every sucessful principal I knew had or wanted a Porsche. Now they all want BMW's.

Feb 18, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
form64
five

, I built and installed everything on that car myself so it wasn't as much as you might expect. But yes, it still was about 13k of parts on top of the cost of the new car but not as much as a Porsche. :) And it's definitely more unique!

pixelwhore, I guess when I was younger, every sucessful principal I knew had or wanted a Porsche. Now they all want BMW's.

Feb 18, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Wes Jones drives a 'stereotypical' Porsche...

Feb 18, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

04 Audis S4 avant, nogaro blue

Feb 18, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

ouch, zepplin--ferplexion's nogaro blue is hot any day

form64--I'm thinking about getting my 85 cabby painted that great green-shale color your car is, but no one on my local vw discussion board knows the paint code

check my ride

Feb 18, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

oops--that didn't work so good--hope you all got widescreen powerbooks

admin--pull that last one

form64--what's the paint code for your car, and what all have you done to it

see my 16v cabby here

Feb 18, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

five, your link returns:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/uploads/photo-1201.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.swov.org Port 80

Feb 18, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

that's fine--just look at the picture in the previous post

Feb 18, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Black and Silver SMART Roadster

Feb 18, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

so far, we have:

1) volswagen with 7 people, mostly jetta model.
2) ford with 5 preferences
3) bmw with 4
4) audi, jeep, honda tie with 3
5) acura, saab, isuzu and toyota with 2
6) infiniti, mazda, mitsubishi, mercedes, volvo, lexus, saturn, lincoln, suzuki, porsche, dodge, smart with 1.
7) but there are 5 motorcycle.
8) 1 hybrid car
9) 1 pair of shoes
10) no nissan, chevrolet, cadillac, chrysler, renault, citroen, fiat, seat, hyundai, pontiac, hummer, mercury, oldsmobile, land rover, buick, mini, gmc, kia.
11) but mostly, what about aston martin, ferrari, lamborghini, bentley, jaguar, maybach, maserati, rolls royche? architect aren't supposed to be rich?

Feb 18, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
ampm

early 80s 10 speed schwinn. daydreaming about a surly cyclocross. or a honda motorcycle.

Feb 18, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

uh 5ive, my friend builds, and fixes cars for a living, and i have personally done work on many Mopars that i have owned, VW's - aside from the old squarebacks, things and beetles - suck major ass, big pieces of shit. hell i would rather own a yugo than pay that much $$ for a german car that didn't have Mercedes, BMW or Porsche label...

anyone that has ever seen the old mopar stylings can't help but think about architecture, especially a 1970 Plymouth Superbird.

Feb 18, 05 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i have an early 90's 10 speed schwinn! and it's pink!

Feb 18, 05 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

yes, the 35 is in reference to the diameter of my the tires. My tires were huge - about as tall as the hood on a average car. Unfortunately, in a effort to make the Jeep as cheap as possible, Chrysler decided to use some weenie axles under it. I went through 3 axles in 3 years because the tires proved too much for the Dana 35 rear. In retrospect I feel kinda silly having all that stuff on the Jeep, it was ridiculous. One thing for sure, my jeep was a monster. I spent some of my most memorable moments in that thing. (small picture of it)

As for S4, the blue suede seats are part of a factory package along with the aluminum mirrors and aluminum roof rack. As soon as I saw the suede I knew it was coming home with me. There isn't a day where I don't look forward driving the hell out of it ... well except for the days it likes to dump its coolant everywhere and the day the dealer "fixed" my breaks in a way that they went out while I was driving it. Except for those days, I'm thankful that I have that car.

Feb 18, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

five - nogaro blue is hot but as any respectable architect I am very partial to black. I have to be honest, the 04 S4's is very nice but I'm still the only one with twin a bi-turbo engine compartment ;-)

Feb 18, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

* - twin

Feb 18, 05 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

98 Isuzu Rodeo...utility is a must.

Feb 18, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i have seen many architects drive a isuzu rodeo

one more question:
what do the starchitects drive??
i think that :

neil denari >> audi a4(?)
wes jones >> porsche
and i think greg lynn >> bmw m3

what bout the others???

Feb 18, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
optimk

VWs are the most overated cars ever created. German engineering is a myth that needs to be killed. VW has a horrible reputation for designing crap motors. Honda and Toyota rule supreme in the engineering dept.

Feb 19, 05 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: