Archinect
anchor

California Supplemental Exam

BulgarBlogger

Has anyone taken this? I am a NY licensed architect and would like to know what the exam is like and what to expect and how to prepare for it. 

Thanks!

Aug 29, 15 9:47 am
chigurh

took it...brain dumped it...all I really remember was you review some super generic project docs - site plan - plans, sections, notes; then take a multiple choice exam pertaining to California specific agency approvals and compliance.  DSA, costal commission, environmental agencies, EPA, air quality management...California stuff not covered in the regular ARE exams.  I remember it being pretty easy, took the exam in some weird computer center in Rosemead or something..not your regular prometric center...good luck. 

Aug 29, 15 4:45 pm
jla-x

^glad the public is now safe...

Aug 29, 15 11:11 pm
chigurh

oh yea...because memorizing some obscure code sections make the public more safe...

Aug 30, 15 10:29 am
jla-x

sounds like a clever way to suck more fees...gotta love california big govt.  

Aug 30, 15 12:33 pm
citizen

I just dropped my renewal in the mailbox five minutes ago.

As hard as it is getting your license... never let it lapse.

Aug 30, 15 4:55 pm
Erik Evens (EKE)

I let mine lapse...which was a major blunder on my part.  To get it back, I had to re-take the California Supplemental exam, which was an oral exam at the time.  Really difficult, and intimidating, with a very low pass rate.  I passed, thank goodness.

Listen to citizen.  never let it lapse.

Aug 31, 15 7:23 pm
Studio_Blueprint

I passed all the ARE tests by 2008.  Which was 14 years after graduating with my BArch.  It took 4 more years to pass the CSE.  When I first took it in 2010 it was still the oral format which was extremely intimidating for me.  I only scored like 33 out of 300 with a pass rate needed to be at least 150 out of 300.  I learned that it was soon switched to a computer format so I bought the Doucette Material and went over it again, and again, and again making detailed notes of all the materials.  I printed out the flash cards from Doucette and again reviewed them dozens of times.  I gave myself 6 months of studying until test day.  It was a tough test and many of the questions made no real sense to me, so I just guessed.  I did pass it, though.  I studied for 500 hours using Doucette's material and pulled 24 all-nighters.  It was tough but I learned right after the exam that "Congratulations you have passed the CSE."  I was elated but also extremely worn out from all the studying.  My advice:  Order the Doucette material and go through it time and time and time again.  You should pass no problems but it will require a lot of work to get there.  Good luck and have a good journey!!!

Jul 13, 19 4:48 pm
BulgarBlogger

I passed this exam a while ago. 

Jul 14, 19 2:12 am
natematt
I feel like you’re joking @studio_blueprint.... but I can’t really tell for sure
Jul 15, 19 11:47 am
atelier nobody

It's spam. Person's history has exactly one post (this one); post claims to be a personal story, but actually plugs a product; in a reply to a 3-year-old thread.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: