Archinect
anchor

California Supplemental Exam

BulgarBlogger

Has anyone taken this? I am a NY licensed architect and would like to know what the exam is like and what to expect and how to prepare for it. 

Thanks!

Aug 29, 15 9:47 am
chigurh

took it...brain dumped it...all I really remember was you review some super generic project docs - site plan - plans, sections, notes; then take a multiple choice exam pertaining to California specific agency approvals and compliance.  DSA, costal commission, environmental agencies, EPA, air quality management...California stuff not covered in the regular ARE exams.  I remember it being pretty easy, took the exam in some weird computer center in Rosemead or something..not your regular prometric center...good luck. 

Aug 29, 15 4:45 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

^glad the public is now safe...

Aug 29, 15 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

oh yea...because memorizing some obscure code sections make the public more safe...

Aug 30, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

sounds like a clever way to suck more fees...gotta love california big govt.  

Aug 30, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I just dropped my renewal in the mailbox five minutes ago.

As hard as it is getting your license... never let it lapse.

Aug 30, 15 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I let mine lapse...which was a major blunder on my part.  To get it back, I had to re-take the California Supplemental exam, which was an oral exam at the time.  Really difficult, and intimidating, with a very low pass rate.  I passed, thank goodness.

Listen to citizen.  never let it lapse.

Aug 31, 15 7:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Studio_Blueprint

I passed all the ARE tests by 2008.  Which was 14 years after graduating with my BArch.  It took 4 more years to pass the CSE.  When I first took it in 2010 it was still the oral format which was extremely intimidating for me.  I only scored like 33 out of 300 with a pass rate needed to be at least 150 out of 300.  I learned that it was soon switched to a computer format so I bought the Doucette Material and went over it again, and again, and again making detailed notes of all the materials.  I printed out the flash cards from Doucette and again reviewed them dozens of times.  I gave myself 6 months of studying until test day.  It was a tough test and many of the questions made no real sense to me, so I just guessed.  I did pass it, though.  I studied for 500 hours using Doucette's material and pulled 24 all-nighters.  It was tough but I learned right after the exam that "Congratulations you have passed the CSE."  I was elated but also extremely worn out from all the studying.  My advice:  Order the Doucette material and go through it time and time and time again.  You should pass no problems but it will require a lot of work to get there.  Good luck and have a good journey!!!

Jul 13, 19 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I passed this exam a while ago. 

Jul 14, 19 2:12 am  · 
 · 
natematt
I feel like you’re joking @studio_blueprint.... but I can’t really tell for sure
Jul 15, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

It's spam. Person's history has exactly one post (this one); post claims to be a personal story, but actually plugs a product; in a reply to a 3-year-old thread.

Jul 15, 19 3:54 pm  · 
1  · 
dparbhoo

I made a YouTube video explaining all of the best resources to study for the CSE as well as my study schedule. Check it out here and be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any future videos!

Dec 6, 21 12:38 am  · 
1  · 
Koww

Dec 7, 21 1:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: