Archinect
anchor

indoor beaches and ski slopes.

abracadabra

any personal experiences in these places?

Jan 10, 05 4:23 pm
abracadabra
Jan 10, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Clancy Pearson

I visited SSAWS Tokyo about 8 years ago

http://www.goski.com/rjpn/1skidome.htm

Jan 10, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i wonder if any of you professionals out there can gestimate the price of one beach like this? i am trying to put 6 of them end to end.

Jan 10, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i don't understand...
why would you want to ski inside?
or be at the beach inside?

Jan 11, 05 12:03 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

ski project is in Libya,
beach is for Kazakhstan.
oil money.

Jan 11, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

are those places affordable to go to?

Jan 11, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i mean, the people going to these places, from lybia or kazakhstan, are they just everyday people, or are they more upper class? not a critique, just a question.

Jan 11, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

they are sun tan loving adventurers who will go to these places to keep their sanity and get sense of the community around them.

Jan 11, 05 12:41 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

okay, i buy that.

i will admit to being a snob about manufactured snow and hills though.

Jan 11, 05 12:43 am  · 
 · 
psychotropism

>>>stephanie said " don't understand...
why would you want to ski inside?
or be at the beach inside?"

I went to the indoor beach at the Edmonton Mall (waaaaay up north in Canada). ther are no beaches up there, so they built one indoors.
no idea how much it cost to build... but it helped put the mall on the map.

I think it was 20-30$ a person (US$) to get in for a day. Not that much more than a comparable one outdoors in the states. The key is that it is packed often, since there are no alternative places to be outside much of the year. The one up there has several slides plus a wave pool....

Jan 11, 05 2:33 am  · 
 · 
cracker

west edmonton mall waterpark
Jan 11, 05 3:24 am  · 
 · 
cracker

psychotropism - since when do real outdoor beaches charge people $20-30 for daily admission???

Jan 11, 05 3:27 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i went on those slides on my 12th birthday, i didn't ever think about how they were there because there aren't beaches around canada....
are there no amusement parks or ice skating rinks up north either?
that mall is on the map because it is the largest mall in the world and has as many fantastical features to make it so. not because people needed it's amenities.

Jan 11, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

wasn't miami supposed to get a ski dome like this at one point?

Jan 11, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

unbelievable, they are going to knock that huge ski dome building down? it's only been there 11 years!

Jan 11, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

ski dome has been closed for some time now.

i visited in 2001 and it had already at that point lost its popularity - i remember only a few people there skiing...

Jan 11, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

lower budgets could be satisfied with few alterations. could bring the ticket prices down a bit.top could be transparent material. 2 of them side by side would be a nice beach in kazakhstan.my coisin says he can get partial EU money for something like this. don't forget there is a lot of cheap natural gas to keep this place warm in almaty.and we are not talking about saving the planet here, just helping some kazakhs to gain some beach etiquette.

does anyone know by heart how much one of these loaded structures cost? (about the same size of football field)
thanks in advance.

Jan 11, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: