Archinect
anchor

Art Director

mauOne™

what is the academic or non-academic background of an ART DIRECTOR, who are art directors, how is that structure defined within a project ???

could someone please illustrate me ( or point me to reading ) please

thank you

Dec 17, 04 1:55 pm
pencrush

Art Director (in the US anyways,) is usually associated with Advertising agencies or graphic design firms. I've never heard of any architecture firms having art directors.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, can you give more details on what you want to know?

Dec 17, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

yes, i understand it is related to those fields mostly...but the question is some thing like "who gets to be an art director"

someone who studied graphic design and advertising ?
someone who is an artist ?

just a creative person ?

who decides who does the artistic direction of something, i am seeing alot on 3D animations for example, and in the credits they have sooo many people, and i wanted to know who does what, and how, and why :o)

thanks

Dec 17, 04 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

dear mau,
as pencrush has said it is mostly in advertising or graphic design that "art directors" are mentioned.. however the background of that person varies from a high school , creative person to a designer or even architect..
I have worked in a production house for almost a year or more....and to say the least it is the coolest job of all time.. first i have to mention that i'm an architect.. but as an art director u get to have a say in anything and everything without really working on it.. for example.. we did videos for artists (singers mainly) and i used to give hints and ideas on how the scenes shoud look and collaborate with set designers, and costune designers, and also the directors...
But i believe although architects dont have any art directors , they should.. its like being the senior architect like Rem at Oma's i don't think he works on any projects.. he only gives sketches, ideas etcc. maybe///
hope i helped lol

Dec 17, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
ether

is this what you are looking for?

Dec 17, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

great stuff, THANKS guys !!

:o)

Dec 17, 04 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

it also extend into industrial design too. with regards to the pecking order, an art director is between a senior designer and a creative director. their role is primarily as a manager just as a creative director's is. they need to be well versed in all aspects of the field that they are operating within.

Dec 17, 04 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

an art director is a slave to the creative director in an ad agency.
the creative director is brain and art director is the equivilant of
a cad monkey.

however, the two often collaborate. unfortunately the creative director takes all the credit.

-n

Dec 18, 04 4:02 am  · 
 · 
gringodms50

good one supermarket..... lolol

Dec 18, 04 4:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: