Archinect
anchor

tea kettle

i'm hunting for a tea kettle as a christmas gift. so far i've looked at about a 1000 online. other than appearance, they pretty much seem the same. does anyone have an opinion or allegiance towards a particular kettle or brand? thanks!

Dec 15, 04 2:16 pm
sahar

I have this one, which I like very much. It is coated in enamel, so it is easier to clean and doesn't get that funky water stained look a lot of metal teapots get, it whistles, and brews a good amount of water.

Dec 15, 04 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I have had this Le Creuset for years. It looks nice on the stove and is heavy duty.

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/products/guide.php?product_id=215

Dec 15, 04 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I have an electric water boiler that I love - many companies make them, they have a base that the pitcher sits on & it is detachable, the water heats up in about a minute and you can use it for tea, french press coffee, instant noodles, anything. I drink a lot of tea and could not live without it!

Dec 15, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
rydesign
www.fitzsu.com

i am always promoting this site b/c i love fitz and su !!

alessi makes some interesting kettles (electric and regular)
bodo sperlein has a gorgeous white tea pot and cups
mono has a glass pot thats nice and delicate
stelton sells an arne jacobsen kettle....

Dec 15, 04 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

whatever you do, don't buy the one designed by aldo rossi.

otl aicher writes about it in his book "the world as design." for those who have not read it, i highly recommend this book of essays that is on many aspects of design. aicher says in his essay " the non-useful useful object":

"this kettle by aldo rossi is the kettliest kettle ever, it is the platonic idea of the kettle. but it doesn't actually pour, you have to incline a cylindrical kettle through 90 degrees to empty it completely. and even here your hand has to make a movement that cannot come from the wrist alone, you have to lift your elbow as well. with rossi's kettle you have to stand up and raise it above your shoulder to reach the 120 degree inclination that is the least you need to empty it.

and on top of this the kettle has an unfixed centre of gravity. when it is lifted it moves into the corner and makes the kettle difficult to lift at precisely then moment it is almost empty.

but why would you want to pour when the kettle is so beautiful."

Dec 15, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

does bernardo gomez pimienta's collection of kitchenware have a tea kettle in it? i remember a lecture he gave after his departure from ten architectos in which he focused his talks on his industrial designing.

Dec 15, 04 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel
http://www.cranbrookart.edu/museum/tea.html

the Greg Lynn one's a bit spendy but, hay, the're numbered.

Dec 15, 04 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
JG

that's not a teapot, that's the plant from little shop of horrors.

Dec 15, 04 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

HAHAHA
nice JG.

-n 0010

Dec 15, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

some cool sites...

Does anyone know any more industrial design-y stores or online sites where i can find products?
they dont have to be modern design, but just well designed products for use in the house...

bodu is a good place for price and design!

also any specific electric water kettles that are good? thanks!

Dec 16, 04 12:41 am  · 
 · 
rayray

check the jasper morrison one at mossonline.com
electric

Dec 16, 04 4:15 am  · 
 · 
ether

thanks for all of the posts.

please keep the suggestions coming. maybe i can procrastinate again until the last minute, not find one and look like a complete moron. thank god she loves.

Dec 16, 04 11:10 am  · 
 · 
ether

i'm leaning towards a kettle you heat up on a stove. after badgering her with random and vague questions, i think she'll get more use out of it.

Dec 16, 04 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: