Archinect
anchor

GOOD CONSTRUCTION HANDBOOK??

EK12345

I am about to begin a Part 1 Architectural Assistant job and am looking for a construction book to have with me as a go-to guide for help with detail drawings.

At the moment I'm toying between Building Construction Illustrated (Ching) + Building Construction Handbook (Chudley). However, Im worried these two might be too basic for practice and lacking in technical detailing.

Can anyone recommend a good detailing guidebook?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 14 12:55 pm
Carrera

Architectural Graphic Standards is of course the base, then add to that over time as you can afford.

Aug 13, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Go to construction sites and look at how things are actually done. It's one thing to draw something, it's another thing entirely to fully understand what they represent and how they get translated into reality.

Aug 13, 14 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Also look at the manufacture websites and details including specifications and installation instructions.

Aug 13, 14 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Oh... another oddball source.  If you have Masterspec, read the green pages.  Ton of information in there about why you might use this over that and application (where to use what). 

Aug 13, 14 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Some 'bibles' I regularly use too...

SMACMA Architectural Sheet Metal

US Gypsum manual; has ratings, stc ratings, etc.

TCA (Tile council of American) manual.. covers about everything tile from thick set to thin veneer, fountains, showers to exterior..

The dreaded UL manual... I hate that one though but the jurisdictions around require those details on the drawings.

Also have an ancient timber manual.  Great stuff on various connections and tricks like fletch plates, strapping, knife plate connections, pin connections, etc.

Masonry institute also has a fairly decent technical manual, but it's poorly organized.  Has cool stuff in there like fireplaces, historic, etc.

And more dread... ASTM/ASHRAE technical articles.  Expensive (like rip off prices at $32 for half a dozen pages), hard as hell to interpret... but the standard and often referenced by the building code.  And several are worthless and more 'tolerances' than technical; Also tend to torque me because within the article, it will reference other standards.. which you must buy too...  Use those a lot in legal work since they are adopted by the UBC, so technically not following them is in violation of the code.  And example is the stucco/plaster section pretty much now just references ASTM C926(?) (what sexy descriptive names eh?).

Aug 13, 14 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: