Archinect
anchor

Does anyone regret getting into architecture?

JJ LL

After more than a decade in architecture, my desire to change careers has grown increasingly strong, particularly after working for several corporate firms. Many large companies encourage employees to obtain their licenses. However, once licensed, there is often no corresponding reward or promotion.

The path to becoming a principal in architecture firms is arduous, requiring years of experience to reach a level of substantial salary and influence. Companies expect you to bring in projects, yet business is not part of an architect’s formal education. Architects are trained to be excellent designers, not business people. However, being adept in business is crucial for sustaining a company.

When large firms acquire new projects, they tend to hire more staff. Conversely, during lean periods, they lay off employees, making one feel like a disposable resource. This cyclical nature of employment adds to the growing disillusionment with the profession.

No matter how hard we work as licensed architects in large firms, when there are no projects, they start lay off people , our licenses and experience become irrelevant to them. Starting your own business might be an alternative path, but it is often a lonely journey. It requires building a network, acquiring clients, and starting your business from scratch. 

Jun 27, 24 2:43 am
Non Sequitur

what a silly question. How do you expect firms  will cover your salary if they don’t have clients? That’s how the world works. No more fees? then they drop underperforming or overpaid staff. 

Jun 27, 24 6:29 am  · 
3  · 

Did ChatGPT write this?

Jun 27, 24 10:05 am  · 
6  · 
graphemic

Agree. I'm so curious why these posts show up. There are so many, I do try to call them out. So mystifying.

Jun 27, 24 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I’ve tried to quit more than a few times. Harder to quit than to stay in. I’m good at getting clients though, better at that than getting contractors to do anything with quality. Architect led development and architect led design build should be way more common.

Jun 27, 24 10:10 am  · 
1  · 

JJ LL wrote:

"After more than a decade in architecture, my desire to change careers has grown increasingly strong, particularly after working for several corporate firms."

Maybe you should change careers.  What are you interested in?

"Many large companies encourage employees to obtain their licenses. However, once licensed, there is often no corresponding reward or promotion."

You’ve been working at some bad firms then.  That or you're a bad architect. 

"The path to becoming a principal in architecture firms is arduous, requiring years of experience to reach a level of substantial salary and influence."

Correct.  It takes a while to become a good architect.

"Companies expect you to bring in projects, yet business is not part of an architect’s formal education. Architects are trained to be excellent designers, not business people. However, being adept in business is crucial for sustaining a company."

As a principal, one of your responsibilities is to bring in work.  It’s how firms stay in business.

"When large firms acquire new projects, they tend to hire more staff. Conversely, during lean periods, they lay off employees, making one feel like a disposable resource. This cyclical nature of employment adds to the growing disillusionment with the profession."

Again, you’ve been working at some bad firms if this is your experience. 

"No matter how hard we work as licensed architects in large firms, when there are no projects, they start lay off people , our licenses and experience become irrelevant to them."

Every firm is like this.  No work = no money.

"Starting your own business might be an alternative path, but it is often a lonely journey. It requires building a network, acquiring clients, and starting your business from scratch. "

Kind of.  If you’ve been working for enough time you should of created a network of past clients.  It’s still a lot of work though. 

Jun 27, 24 11:42 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Anyone who is a regular here knows how much I complain about architecture and architects. 

That said, I still don't regret going to school for it - met my wife there, made some friends, endured various forms of abuse from myself and professors, spent a shitload of money... wait, where was I going with this?

Hahaha. I am probably going to try to pivot into something a bit less architecture centric, but it still informs everything I do. 

Jun 27, 24 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 

If you don't mind my asking; what are you thinking of pivoting into?

Jun 27, 24 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

I feel similarly. I don't regret going to architecture school at all. In fact I can't imagine doing anything else with my time at University.

What I learned over 12 years in practice is how terrible the business model is. So, I got my license and switched over to the General Contractor side and have never looked back.

Jun 27, 24 2:01 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I certainly have my days but, overall, no; I'm mostly happy to be an architect.

Jun 27, 24 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

bitch, bitch, moan, groan, complain, swear, groan... oh look I GOT PAID!!!! 

this profession is awesome! haha

Jun 27, 24 5:12 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

I bitch and moan incessantly but not sure what else I can do and im pretty good at this architecture scam.

Probably would never want to own my own architecture firm though, just too much hassle. A doggy day care/bike shop/coffee shop etc sounds better.

Jun 27, 24 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

IT'S A BOT GUYS STOP FEEDING IT

Jun 27, 24 8:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: