plan

Aug 13, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

frankie gehry and some partners just bought the inland steel building

Aug 20, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

even though it was for two weeks, seeing chicago was a big part of my education. stayed in empty monadnock building just before it was fixed. one day me and few friends dropped you know what and tripped in empty building all they long reenacting early 20 th century businessmen in different floors and offices. i could see the jail building in the back and mies building with picasso sculpture on the side.
all the sullivan, richardson, flw, mies, burnham and root's plan for the city, exchange building, graceland cemetery and the 'L' to name a few and the list is large. chicago is an open museum to modern architecture. the people of chicago had a certain urban grace to themselves that i have not seen in any other big city. i haven't been there for twenty years but i am glad i've seen it when i was a student of architecture. i'd like to go there again and see the new additions to the list.
chicago, the city that made america..

Aug 20, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

uh. i forgat to mention le corbusier oil painting in the museum. it looked like an ameteur picasso try.

Aug 20, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when the trump building gets finished lets all meet and drop some acid.

Aug 20, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

i'm so there.

Aug 20, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

I second (or third or fourth): The Rookery, Sullivan's Auditorium, the 'Corn Cobs', Robey House, Crown Hall and Post Office;

did anyone say the Wrigley Building, Unity Temple, or Mies' Lakeshore Drive or Farnsworth House -- a stretch including it in Chicago -- (hard to believe if not)... but the coolest spaces in Chicago are definitely the river, underneath the El, and especially the underground level of the city (whatever its called)...Millenium park is pretty good...

and Kleihus' bldg can't even be mentioned in the same breath as these...

Aug 27, 05 3:07 am  · 
 · 
ochona

i used to live near the harry weese jail -- it's incredible -- what a dubious stroke of luck it must be to be incarcerated therein. however, i will fortieth the motions of so many who have chosen inland steel. when i lived on s dearborn we would walk north to take the long way to water tower, etc. every time i walk by the building i have to touch it, it is so beautiful. (i don't extend that rationale to people, fortunately!) thing is, i've pretty much never met anyone who did not like it, "laypeople" included. the model of it in the AIC basement is worth seeing as well...it's held up really well (or they've repaired it really well)...

Aug 30, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
TED

second the HWA ---

Sep 1, 05 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: