Archinect
anchor

Kmart floor plans

and8713

I'm working on an interior design project this term and am in need of kmart floor plans. Does anyone know a good place to find them?

I dont really need anything super detailed, the basics will do just fine.

Thanks everyone

Nov 15, 10 1:30 pm
weAREtheSTONES

lmao

Nov 15, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Nov 15, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
binary

the cmu is out of scale..and i dont think the corners are rounded like that

Nov 15, 10 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

peedy - LOL you're so so right.

and- dude, seriously a big box store is literally just a box. at least in terms of architecture. It's 4 cmu walls. Maybe some of them are what are called 'tilt-ups', but that depends on site constraints.

wanna see something interesting though?

http://leveleight.net/

A mate from undergrad days. he did a walmart redux sort of thing for his thesis, very nice, folded metal, parametrics, blah blah. he sillily uses what i think might be flash for his website, so i can't just directly link you, unfortunately you'll have to do some wading.

Nov 15, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
and8713

I know the plan is basic. I'm concerned with the retail space/layout more than the actual building. I figured I would ask, on the off hand that someone had a plan laying around. It would save me from having to spend time surveying it/measuring all of their displays.

Nov 15, 10 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Think that is more the provence of a retail consultant, not an architect.

Nov 15, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

k-MART LIKE EVERY OTHER BIG BOX STORE PUTS THE MILK AT THE BACK OF THE STORE. NUMBER ONE RULE IN RETAILING. NUMBER TWO RULE IS NEVER MAN THE RETURN COUNTER. AND HIDE IT SO NO ONE CAN FIND IT.

Nov 15, 10 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
and8713

: I suspect if you go to the K-Mart website and click on the "Corporate" tab you will find there a link to their Facilities Design and Construction Department. Most K-Marts are constructed from prototype plans ... these aren't much of a trade secret ...

I suspect if you approach then politely, tell then you're working on a school project and you're trying to obtain a typical floor plan, they'd be more than happy to e-mail you a dimensioned pdf of what you need. Be sure to ask for both an architectural floor plan and a merchandising plan -- the merchandising plan is the drawing that shows where the various departments are located and how much floor space they occupy.

Good luck.

Nov 15, 10 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Nov 15, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Wall-mart has has this shit down to a science.

Nov 15, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
Nov 15, 10 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

quizzical, thanks. My version was a wall-mart supercenter. Too big to fit inside of a tiny website such as this.

Nov 15, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

quizzical, thanks. My version was a wall-mart supercenter. Too big to fit inside of a tiny website such as this.

btw, what's the code for fit image?

Nov 15, 10 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

add a width=450 or within the code... so...

Nov 15, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

{img}http://www.image.com/image.jpg width= 450 {/img}

Nov 15, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks letdown. I hear the new archinect version will support widths of up to 480 on the account that lots of people have switched from 14" monitors to the crazy 15" ones.

Nov 15, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

damn - i was hoping that kmart was now selling floor plans...

Nov 15, 10 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm pretty sure corporate has something available, from my experience working retail at both Target and Cost Plus in Undergrad and in both instances being a part of the team that did all of the store and department resets. They should actually have a dimensioned layout for every store- this is so they know which version of the department set-up to send- 24' aisle, 30' aisle, 36' aisle, etc.

Target, for instance, actually has a faux-store somewhere where they test out all of the new department layout concepts, figure out where everything should be located, how many, etc. and then they send each store elevation drawings of the aisles with specifications that detail how to space the shelves, where to put hanging fixtures, signage, etc. and they include photos for odd or unique arrangements.

Every K-Mart I have ever been into smells like pee, so if you could address that as part of your project, all the better.

Nov 15, 10 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: