Archinect
anchor

Extreme dysfunction at AIA national

bureauspacecraft

There has been a lot of chatter this year about seemingly serious issues with AIA national, but these issues (apart from the "typical" AIA issues) don't seem to have come up on Archinect yet. See threads below, which are hearsay but seem legit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Architects/comments/1bhxkrn/whats_going_on_at_aia/

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/The-American-Institute-of-Architects-Reviews-E34788.htm?sort.sortType=RD&sort.ascending=false&filter.iso3Language=eng

Is the collapse of the AIA inevitable (or possibly welcome?) Can members do anything to help right the ship or is it worth the effort at this point?

May 23, 24 12:45 pm
gwharton

AIA has been a complete train wreck for years.

May 23, 24 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

So I'm a relatively new member to the AIA. Does the organization have a requirement to publish budgets annually? The financial aspects of these posts sounds really problematic, and it would seem that as a non-profit there would be a need for fiscal transparency?

Im also curious if @Archinect or the other major industry publications are tracking this story at all. The Punta Cana thing sounds notably problematic.

May 23, 24 3:26 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I'm not an AIA member (or an architect) and don't think particularly highly of the organization, but a couple of years ago I was at a conference and had dinner with Evelyn Lee, the president-elect. She's very smart; she hosts the Practice Disrupted podcast and has been head of strategy and innovation at Slack, among other accomplishments. I am optimistic about her plans, as relayed by Arch Daily:

"Lee’s campaign is focused on three main areas, as she describes on her campaign website‘[Re]Thinking How We Practice Architecture’ to strengthen the business of architecture and make it more welcoming for future generations; ‘[Re]Designing How We Collaborate as a Profession’ to encourage the sharing of research and work across state components; and ‘[Re]Envisioning How We Create Value Beyond Practice’ to find ways to re-engage those who have chosen other career paths as advocates for architects and architecture."

May 23, 24 3:59 pm  · 
1  · 

The recent antics of AIA National have been on some folks' radar. I don't engage or bother with it, though, because at this point I belong to AIA *solely* for how amazing my local section Executive Director is. He is wonderful and has a great team that is honestly working hard *for* architects in our region. So I get my CEUs and get to hang out monthly with my fellow architects at fun programs. It's all good, here in Indy.

At National, though, hoo boy.

May 23, 24 4:35 pm  · 
4  · 
reallynotmyname

My local AIA chapter has been a corrupt shitshow for most of the past two decades.  It's unfortunate if AIA national is going the same way as is being alleged.

But AIA is not the only game in town.

I'm looking at going over to the Association of Licensed Architects:

https://www.alatoday.org/

May 23, 24 5:31 pm  · 

I was an AIA member for quite a while.  Despite the high cost of a membership I stayed on until they started to charge for AIAU this year.  I decided not to renew my membership.  I simply don't see any benefit to paying nearly $1,000 a year and getting almost nothing out of it. 

May 23, 24 5:39 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

Indeed.  Aside from those blessed with a robust and honestly run local chapter, AIA membership has become pretty useless to those not chasing awards, self-promotion, or an FAIA. The AIA's ideas to expand membership to academics, interior designers, and engineers is laughable when the AIA membership value proposition is so poor. Those folks aren't going spend $500+ a year to get almost nothing for it.

Jun 6, 24 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Regarding collapse of the AIA, I don't think that's in the cards.   The deep-pocketed crowd of firm principals and wealthy young people angling to be "leaders" in the profession aren't going anywhere as the crazy high dues don't bother them.   AIA National will stabilize their financials by raising dues and cutting expenses.

May 23, 24 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

For 200 staffers to go to the Punta Cana Resort for three days should cost about $3,000 each for airfare, lodging, and meals. That's $600,000 of members' dues. But who is counting? Nobody apparently. 

May 24, 24 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

Are you sure about these numbers or are they just figments of your imagination?

May 24, 24 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Have you ever traveled? $3K sounds about right to me. Maybe $2500 if there are good group deals and alcohol is limited. Conference rooms are not cheap--quite the opposite--so it could just as easily cost more.

May 24, 24 4:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

The numbers are based on my trip to St. Martin several years ago and not even adjusted for inflation. They are not figments of my imagination. If the AIA President was giving the contract to an insider it was likely much more. 

May 24, 24 4:28 pm  · 
3  · 

If the contract is going to an insider, I don’t care if it cost 20 bucks, they should not have done it. But reports are that it was around $150,000.

Jun 6, 24 8:47 pm  · 
1  · 
logon'slogin

AIA used to offer reasonably priced health insurance to its members. Is anybody here old enough to remember that?

May 24, 24 4:47 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

No, but it would be a welcome thing to bring back.

May 24, 24 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

National jumped the shark when they refused to deal with the Neo-Nazi Assoc. AIA member. After they were outed and fired after Charlottesville. I hope they burn in hell.

May 24, 24 6:50 pm  · 
1  · 
przemula

What's his name? This neo nazi member.

May 27, 24 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What's her name.

May 28, 24 12:05 am  · 
 · 

Unfortunately I don't think she was actually fired, beta. She was attending AIA national events a couple years later, with a new hair color, I recall reading on Xitter.

Jun 4, 24 10:33 am  · 
 · 

The woman was fired from the firm she worked at. I don't know if she's currently employed. 

Side note: you don't have to be an employed architect, an architect in training, or an AIA member to attend an AIA event. You just have to pay the admission fee.

Jun 4, 24 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Maybe an AIA member here could write and ask them how much the outing cost? The response, if one is even received, should be a hoot. 

May 27, 24 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

That trip to Punta Cana hasn't been the worst thing lately. Maybe ask why we have a new general counsel or why a certain person tried to make it so officers automatically get fellow.

May 27, 24 2:55 pm  · 
2  · 
HipHopopotomas2024

Listen, between the DEI contractor that was brought in who is the cousin of the CEO's husband, her best friend hired as the Strategic Officer with ZERO qualifications for that 300K/year job, and this Strategic Officer's sister working there now in equity and diversity department, the CEO constantly trying to get her nephew hired, and people being fired and leaving because they want none of the nepotism and cronyism (CEO firing folks for not doing what she wants and not hiring who she wants) firing whole departments in retaliation for the fellows debacle----a fellowship elevation is decided by a jury, not the staff, but awards doesn't have staff now and is now being 'managed' by someone that has a full time job doing governance (and she is probably pretty busy right now LOL), and a Board President that wants to make all of this about her--- she is just one iota in a sea of grift and corruption) and a Board that says this trip is just fine! The pres is also busy writing about how she is being attacked and the angle also seems to be that she is entitled to elevation to fellowship just by being voted in as a Board officer. That's not how it works. The guidelines for applying to fellowship are very clear and just being put into an office is not at all how any of that works. Anyone can get examples of successful submissions. The case has to be made in support of whatever category is being applied to and all materials provided must support that---not just providing some paperwork and just saying 'hey look, I'm the first Black pres....." Yeah, there are a lot of other problems besides the trip.

Jun 11, 24 7:15 pm  · 
1  · 
HipHopopotomas2024

​If anyone is curious to read the court filing from the fired General Counsel in his lawsuit against the AIA, its easily searchable and is public record. The court case # is 2024-CAB-003572 and can be found on dccourts.gov. The timeline and circumstances are quite damning. And that is only just a small portion of what is going on.

Jun 13, 24 11:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nazi
May 28, 24 5:31 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Wow, I just googled her--good riddance and may she never work again!

May 28, 24 2:33 pm  · 
2  · 

Yeah, and she was on her states AIA board. :s

May 29, 24 9:52 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

There appears to still be a Heather Collins AIA on a state board, but no picture and no description

May 29, 24 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

I'm willing to bet it's not the same person. How much would that suck to share the nazi's name? Uhg.

May 29, 24 2:06 pm  · 
1  · 

If it's the Heather Collins Assoc. AIA on the AIA Sierra Valley Board of Directors (website here: http://www.aiasv.org/board-of-directors-aiasv/), I'm guessing it's just out of date. Everything else on the website is like 7+ years out of date at this point.

May 29, 24 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Bruuuuh I met a guy the other day named Adolf. I don't think the other Heather Collins have it quite so bad.

May 30, 24 7:17 am  · 
1  · 

Good point AA.

Jun 4, 24 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Pretty damning article in The Architect’s Newspaper yesterday. Bracketed by anti-Biden tshirt ads, though, so I won’t link it here. 

Jun 5, 24 8:37 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

Donna i think those are targeted ads, what are you google'ing !

Jun 5, 24 9:08 pm  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

“AIA leadership takes the concerns of its members very seriously,” the AIA spokesperson said. “That is why the Board of Directors promptly initiated the external review by an independent law firm to answer questions, and address misinformation. We expect the initial review to be complete in the near future. The Board is committed to sharing the results with members.”

Jun 6, 24 4:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What a joke. I need popcorn.

Jun 6, 24 4:27 am  · 
1  · 

This makes me glad I didn't renew my AIA membership this year. Oddly enough I was called twice by different people asking me to renew my membership.

Jun 6, 24 9:59 am  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

I learned a lot from that article. It explains why the AIA documents operation has turned to shit in recent times. (the AIA sold it to somebody!)

Is it correct that Architect magazine has ceased to exist?   It has sucked for years, so I'm not surprised if it's finally dead.

Jun 6, 24 12:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Got to love the word salad response. They hire a law firm (?) to investigate (more money wasted) but have no problem labeling something as "misinformation" before the law firm has investigated.

Jun 6, 24 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

On the topic of word salad, I also found this section very bizarre, in the sense that it is just speaking past the issue, without actually addressing the question posed in the article (paragraph 9):

"In response to the claims, the AIA spokesperson told AN: “There’s been a lot of changes recently, which were required to keep that commitment to our members. Some of those changes were not communicated as clearly as they could have been, and we want to apologize for any confusion members may have had in the past few weeks.”

Jun 6, 24 12:51 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

that doesn't sound like a law firm that fixes problems. it might be more of a law firm that covers up problems.

Jun 7, 24 10:29 am  · 
 · 
square.

Centerstage in the letter was a recent staff retreat to the Royalton Bavaro in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, between March 6 and March 9—a trip that ultimately cost $152,519.07. The April 4 letter’s signatories requested an explanation for the expense given the AIA’s current $13.5 million deficit “recently identified in remarks made to [Council of Former Presidents Chair] George Miller by leadership."

and we wonder why everyone is so disillusioned, not just in architecture but everywhere... this shit is endemic in the new gilded age. also glad i didn't renew, and i don't plan to, ever.

Jun 7, 24 11:05 am  · 
2  · 
Bench

x

Jun 6, 24 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Can you imagine an AIA President, after being criticized by 22 past Presidents, not having the decency to resign for the good of the organization? And who picked the law firm? They need some forensic accountants to find out where the money went and the current President and her cronies needs to step down at until the investigations are complete.  

Jun 7, 24 10:53 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Slow your roll there. The person in charge of the reported malfeasance, and possible corruption, is not the AIA President, but the CEO. My sense of the organization is the AIA President is not in control of the purse. Not saying she doesn’t have a role to play, but that she may be the patsy here.

Jun 7, 24 11:06 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently the CEO Lakish Ann Woods, was trying to grease the skids for the President, Kimberly Dowdell, to be named an FAIA member. When the board refused several board members were fired. What Kimberly Dowdell's involvement is in this maneuvering, if anything, is not known.

Jun 9, 24 9:43 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

It's a great grift for an outsider - little oversight and even less institutional controls in place. Swing in and make a quick buck.

Jun 7, 24 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Supplementing the AN article with this Bloomberg CityLab description:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...

Jun 9, 24 8:12 am  · 
4  · 
logon'slogin

If an organization buys and sells influence, how does it differ from an NRA type of structure and corporate mentality? It is so disgusting that the 3% of the architects who contribute to architecture and society are always AIA architects decided by AIA members, corporate climbers, and their conservative executive boards.
Jolly good fellows anyone?
Do you think the organization that sent a letter to the newly elected Donald Trump saying "Mr. President, we are ready to work with you" really reformed itself?

Jun 9, 24 11:00 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

But they hired a black woman as the CEO! Reform done! Virtue signaled!

The whole organization is so fucked up and incompetent I will never give them another dollar, another kind word, or engage in their content, CEUs, "journalism" or lobbying. 

If you actually want to support diversity in the profession, it clearly doesn't happen through the AIA.

Jun 10, 24 8:24 am  · 
2  ·  1

Archanonymous I wanna push back against one of your points. When Archinect Sessions interviewed Phil Freelon one of the things he said was that if you notice many many black architects are members of the AIA. This is because, in his mind, Black architects have had to work so much harder that they want to be in AIA to show how much they have achieved and to make sure the profession recognizes them as equals. Diversity within the architecture profession has honestly been a significant goal for AIA members for at least a decade now

Jun 13, 24 11:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Volunteer

The corrupt, self-service current AIA leadership is negatively impacting all the AIA members of whatever skin color. To give these people in leadership positions a free pass on their corrupt behavior because of their skin color is racism defined.

Jun 14, 24 7:16 am  · 
 · 

Volunteer, I don't think anyone is giving anyone a pass due to skin color. 

I do believe AIA membership has offered a very good opportunity for many Black architects to connect with one another over the years and more recently those opportunities have become a more acknowledged goal and benefit for the profession overall.

Jun 14, 24 10:09 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Who is getting a free pass? The previous leaders, who decidedly played the game well, didn't upset anyone, and still had pasts in previous organizations and companies and got by without a peep, or the ones that pissed off some people inside the organization, have been handed a bunch of debt, and oh by the way are black?

Jun 14, 24 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

So you shouldn't root out corruption and unethical behavior in an organization because it existed in the past? I guess the lawyer with 17 years experience in the firm is a racist because he didn't blow the whistle until the black females got hired started trashing the organization from within?

Jun 14, 24 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

No one is getting a free pass here. The people responsible for the financial crisis in the organization are, and it certainly wasn't a trip that caused it.

Jun 14, 24 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
DudleySerious

I get that the Punta Cana trip is the splashiest and seemingly most egregious thing on its face, but what about the CEO funneling cash to her friends and family?  She hired her business partner/best friend as the second highest position at the AIA, and had her husband's cousin administering DEI trainings to staff multiple times a year? I would love to see an accounting of what they've paid in severance over the past two years. She's been firing people at a rapid clip, and then they have to pay them off to get them to sign the NDA's. You don't amass a 13.5 million shortfall overnight...you get there in little drips like bulk severance payments, hiring friends at inflated salaries, settling lawsuits, flashy overseas trips for the CEO and her best friend, 150k trips to Punta Cana (no way that trip was only 150k), and all of the thousand other tiny bits of extremely bad judgement and self enrichment. The board is entirely complicit in this, so I guess we have to hope that somehow members can get their attention.

Jun 11, 24 9:52 pm  · 
4  · 
Volunteer

Apparently CEO Woods is not an architect? Like a hospital naming a Chief Surgeon who doesn't have an MD. 

Jun 12, 24 7:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Bob Ivy got F'd 13 years after being a principal in his form. Most of his recognition, or at least how we all knew of him, was as a writer and publisher. The only thing that struck me as a CEO was his insistence on saying Social Media over and over again during the interview.

Jun 12, 24 10:47 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Volunteer, I think it's more like having a hospital president not be a doctor - they're different roles entirely. It's not like the CEO of the AIA is doing any architectural work FOR the AIA, they're an administrator more or less.

Jun 12, 24 11:59 am  · 
3  · 
Volunteer

Well, Woods' management skills seem somewhat suspect to say the least. They would have been better off hiring a distinguished architect who runs his own firm.

Jun 12, 24 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Architects are cowards. Do you really think they have the skin for the kind of criticism lobbed at others? Put me in there, I'll stomp the living eff out of that job. We'll be doing getaways to the Central Ward of Newark and Alphabet City.

Jun 12, 24 2:59 pm  · 
1  ·  1
bowling_ball

95% of architects are terrible at running their businesses, and those who are successful are likely way too busy to simultaneously act as CEO of a national association (it's a full time job). So I don't think that's the answer at all.

Jun 13, 24 7:40 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

I was thinking of a senior architect taking leave from his firm or retiring from it to devote full time to his AIA duties. Impossible to think of a worse person in charge than what the AIA has now. Not sure it can be fixed.

Jun 13, 24 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Somebody like the head of Gensler, Andy Cohen. He has a degree in architecture from the Pratt Institute. You think he couldn't run the AIA? Unless the AIA gets someone of that caliber and reputation they are finished.

Jun 13, 24 9:00 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Methinks you're being a little dramatic. Reforms may happen but the AIA isn't going anywhere. I'm willing to bet that 90% of American architects couldn't even name the CEO

Jun 13, 24 12:22 pm  · 
2  · 
spaceman

The AIA's board issued a statement re-affirming their support of the CEO yesterday:

https://www.aia.org/resource-c...

Jun 12, 24 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

She getting fired.

Jun 12, 24 6:26 pm  · 
2  · 
graphemic

Interesting, but buried, statement: the outside investigation has been completed with no problems found. Wasn't there a wrongful termination claim somewhere in the mess? Quite a response to the controversy, I wonder if the bland statement of support is a bit of a distraction...

Jun 12, 24 6:31 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

@graphemic: The investigation mentioned is the Punta Cana trip procurement, of which the AIA board has decided was not improper. The wrongful termination investigation is ongoing.

Jun 14, 24 11:38 am  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Yaya, I read the filing yesterday. Still, no refutation of the accusations? So lame.

Jun 14, 24 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I predict that they settle all of the HR claims confidentially and then the AIA board can declare the matter over without ever admitting fault by anyone at the institute. The AIA is basically waiting this out until it blows over. I think the incumbent people at AIA aim to survive this without meaningful change of any kind. The hiring of the crisis management consultant is very telling.

Jun 14, 24 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: