Archinect
anchor

Masters in Architecture, coming from Theatre Design

florisprins

Greetings Many, i wanted to ask this question on reddit which im far more active on but so far i have received no responses on r/architecture :| but it seems this forum is far more focussed on better advice. 

So quickly introducing myself, i am a Dutch citizen, studied 2 years public planning in Breda and decided to study theatre design in the UK later on. After my degree sadly the strikes hit, decided to return home and found i could not for the life of me find work where i could put my set design draughting skills to use. Simply said, they do not have the budget for the job i studied for. But after some discussion with my peers, family. They discussed that i could perhaps do a Masters in Architecture, as my skillset would translate well. 

Now i would like to ask, what does this forum think? 

One thing to note though, please dont assume that i only choose architecture as a form of employment only, its something i have always had a deep interest in. The reason for me studying stage design was because i am such a big movie buff. And the only reason why i chose to quit public planning was due to the managerial aspects which i was not good at. 

May 28, 24 11:30 am

I've done scenic design (what you call theatre design) early in my schooling and career.  While scenic design and architecture share some of the same design principals they are vastly different fields that require different skills and abilities.  

Side note:  while passion is important in architecture DO NOT let that be an excuse for taking a poor paying position at a toxic office.  Your time and experience are valuable.  

Good luck.  

May 28, 24 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
florisprins

what kind of study did you do your architecture degree in? Ma/Bachelors? If so, do you think a masters is enough to find work in? Being able to be employable by Master degree alone.

also i have been taken advantage of in the past and can recognize the signals pretty fast. So i wont be afraid to leave toxic workplaces. But thanks for the heads up

May 28, 24 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in the US so my experiences may not apply to you.

I have a BArch and a MArch. I went to school only for a BArch but got sick and couldn't do my thesis. I stayed in school for an extra year and right when I graduated my program was transferring over to a five year MArch. Upon graduating I learned that I was getting both . 

I personally think a BArch from an accredited program is more than enough schooling to find work in the field. I say that because despite having what I consider to be a good education I barely knew enough to work in a firm. Most good firms know there will be skills gap and hire based a persons potential and design talent.

May 28, 24 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
florisprins

I see, so a bachelor is really the most important with good talent. Though for me, im wondering if in a 2 year master ill be able to be hireable at all in the architecture industry . Thats what concerns me most.

May 28, 24 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

In my opinion, for the US,  an accredited degree along with a good portfolio, references from your professors, and some part time student intern work experience are important.

May 28, 24 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

Take a look at the Bartlett UCL. I personally know some people who are doing film , set/ stage designer production…( recently U2 residency in Las Vegas) … jealous

May 29, 24 4:12 am  · 
 · 
luvu

misread completely, thought the OP wanted to do set design..sorry

May 29, 24 4:22 am  · 
 · 

Recommending UCL is still good advice for the OP. Maybe he / she would be interested in something like that rather than switching to architecture?

May 29, 24 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: