Archinect
anchor

help creating 3d twisted arrows for environmental flows of radiation, convection

oompa

not sure where this post belongs...

i'm looking for a way to make those slicks twisted 3d arrows typically found in sectional drawings - often in perspective - which attempt to articulate flows of hot and cold air. They are found in drawings illustrating the heat flows, often to demonstrate the use of passive strategies....

I can't tell if they're coming from stock art catalogs, modeled entirely in 3d (they match the perspective) or some other technique in illustrator....

it seems silly but I want to recreate what I've seen - and I can't for the life of me figure this one out...

thanks, in advance!

Oct 24, 10 10:23 pm
binary

~~~~~~~~~>

Oct 24, 10 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've created them in autocad before (just arcs and lines) and i think there is a way to twist an arrow in illustrator, but my computer is fukt and i can't open any adobe products right now.

Oct 24, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

post an image....

Oct 25, 10 12:44 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think they mean like these...

Oct 25, 10 1:18 am  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

ah yes; that is a pretty quick illustrator task; I would do pen tool>live paint;
but there's probably a dozen other ways to do it.

if referring to actual 3D arrows, probably model in rhino, 3ds, c4d, then export linework, or even render your 3D arrow; I've seen this done poorly more often then not; if you use sketchup, pay attention to the curve segments, or you'll get blocky instead of curvy

Oct 25, 10 1:32 am  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

I've heard these referred to as "magic arrows" :)

Oct 25, 10 1:35 am  · 
 · 
vikrum

i usually call them smart arrows.

Oct 25, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I call them ribbon arrows

Oct 25, 10 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

"magic" - because the building never performs like the fancy diagram indicates?

Oct 25, 10 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I call them wishing arrows. Cuz that's how you wish the building works.

Or bullshit arrows, same thing.

Oct 25, 10 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Like these? N/T.

Oct 25, 10 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Milwuakee08: "Wishing arrows" made me LOL myself in the pants.

Unicorn: They need to be much fatter. And what's with purple? I understand red/blue as hot/cold, exhaust/intake. Does purple mean direction of unicorn farts? If so, where's the horse's ass in that diagram?

Oct 26, 10 12:49 am  · 
 · 
vikrum

Red + Blue = Purple.
Let's be nice now....
Unicorn was simply showing both options overlaid on top of each other .
No need to insult the colour of his farts.

Oct 26, 10 3:14 am  · 
 · 
oompa

holz, those ARROWS images are close but I meant in 3d.

Unicorn ghost - they would have to be more twisted but that's the basic gist - is there a quick way to make those, can you tell me how you made them?

Oct 26, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

oompa, that's a 3D model, with some basic rendering applied---do you have access to 3D software? I'm afraid that if you don't recognize this already, you're going to have a tough time making your arrows :(

Oct 26, 10 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

You make a segmented rectangle. 30-40 segments. Basically, lots of thin rectangles stacked side-by-side.

You taper down one end. Add the add ends.

Then you twist the object along the axis through the center. I twisted mine 180 degrees. Then you bend them in the direction you want to bend them in.

I made these in SketchUp. I'm assuming that the process is pretty similar since the plugins I use to make this in sketchup are very similar to ones found in 3dsmax.

Oct 26, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
oompa

yeah, ok. in max, those operations are no problem...i just assumed there was an "out of the box" arrow solution....thanks!

Oct 26, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Unicron, here is your big business opportunity break. Create a 3D plugin that makes custom bullshit arrows. You'll be filthy rich by Sunday.

Oct 26, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I can only code in SQL.

Programming, like mathematics, is lost on me.

Oct 26, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

SQL?

I guess all those mad Excel skills have come to full use :)

Oct 26, 10 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Bitches don't know about my ACCESS.

Oct 26, 10 6:30 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: