Archinect
anchor

Latte finances

larslarson

stark..
i forgot to thank you for the info a while back...

and i haven't made a credit card purchase in over a year...it
may be more at this point...i just don't believe in credit cards
anymore...i don't even carry one in my wallet.

oh and i opened a cd for the time being...i think i'll open up a
traditional ira after thanksgiving...

Nov 20, 04 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Very Cool
Good luck

Nov 21, 04 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

IRAs are key. I started one a year ago. I put the bare minimum in each month (because that's all I can afford right now). But even so, it's going to be a nice chunk of change when I retire. I do use credit cards, but I use them like cash. I.e., I don't buy what I couldn't buy with cash. It just helps build the credit rating for when I need it, such as for my current, vile student loans. But I got a lower interest rate because I had an excellent credit rating and I was only 24 at the time that I got the loan. Plus I get Amtrak miles which I use towards Home Depot and Barnes and Noble gift cards...free books and school supplies! It's a great scam.

Nov 21, 04 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

hasselhoff

i just use a debit card now...i'm just not good at
paying bills..i like how i can now just pay for things
directly and don't have to carry a bunch of cash..

although now i'm considering purchasing some
furniture and a new g4...i may resort to credit
instead of paying for everything up front...

the amtrak and home depot etc..sound good..
i just know how bad i am at paying down credit card
debt..although i've paid down about five thousand
in a year and a half..

Nov 22, 04 1:09 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I'll make you over a $1,000.00 dollars quick!!!

How about this tid bit only 1 in 8 people
balance there check books each month.
Most get it the balance off the Debt card tranaction
and take it as gospel.
The truth is the banks make mistakes
and they do over charge.
They balance their books each month.
If you don't claim a mistake after 30 days this money goes to them.
Read the small print on your statement.
This amount per person is almost $1,000 per person per life time.
I have been doubled charged more than once, one time for $125.00.
My brother and sister law worked at a big bank, they balance their check books every month because they know the banks make mistakes and the do over charge it is a fact of life.

So Balance your check books tonight.
It is easy to do and it could save you over
a thousands dollars over your life time.

Nov 22, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
A

Don't forget that in the age of idenity theft credit cards are much safer than writing checks. Debit cards take cash directly from your checking and if someone were to steal that number you have a huge hassle on your hands trying to get your money back. Credit card companies have no fault policies for theft and aside from some long phone calls you don't have near as much to worry about. I personally charge everything down to the electric bills. Of course I track each purchase in Quicken and use it like cash, always knowing I have enough cash to cover the bill. All the cash back bonuses are adding up to an average of $200/year. Not bad. Credit cards aren't inheriantly bad, it's just lack of self control when using them. Shouldn't be a problem with most architects since we are well trained at living on budgets.

Nov 22, 04 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm in agreeance with A (for once) about credit cards being good. Live within your means and credit cards are a great convenience. I pay for everything I can with credit. The bill comes once a month and it breaks down everything I bought. I can't budget, so I do this: Every paycheck gets broken into bill money and personal money. Personal money (26%) goes to dining, beer, clothing, books, "stuff". Bill money (74%) goes to all bills, including groceries, the gym, gas, student loans, utilities even one time expenses like car insurance. Basically there is needs and wants. I always know I have enough to pay my bills. Then, every month, I pay $400 into a special savings account (from the bill account that is uneccessarily fat by this time) that goes for rewards. I have been saving up for a temperpedic bed and am able to afford one right about now because of this special account. I went to Switzerland in Spetember because of this account. No lingering debt. By keeping my spending habits consistant, and PAYING MYSELF, I have good control over my expenses. Budgets don't work, this is my alternative strategy. Think of your expenses/income on a yearly basis, not a monthly. By the way, I also max out three IRA's every year.

Nov 22, 04 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

strawbeary and a, copy me on that ..

you realize the importance of having credit card (or at least a credit card) when you get screwed up - i never believed in having one, until last year i had an internet fraud of $5000 - someone tried to use my debit card number for some big ass purchase , and idiot did not know that (well since im a poor intern) - i did not have that much $ in the bank. and I got saved from getting screwed big time

the same has happened to me with my credit card too, but a phone call takes care of it!!!

Nov 23, 04 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

anyone see frontline last night about the CC industry? fascinating historical perpsective on the rise of the industry based upon first South Dakota's and then Maryland's decisions to eliminate their usury laws in the early 80', a concurrent supreme court ruling that banks are beholden to the laws of the state from which the banking service is offered and not the state in which the bank is chartered, and the efforts of a single consultant who has come up with the zero interest promo transfers and the reduction of minimum payment from 5 to 2%. All in the effort to get people to become "revolvers" as the industry terms those of us with balances. Curiously the CC industry refers to people who pay off their balance each month as "deadbeats".
One aspect of the typical CC agreement that I wasn't aware of is that the card issuer retains the right to raise the interest rate if you're late on a payment to them OR ANY OTHER CREDITOR YOU HAVE. That was enough to scare me into not revolving any longer.
check out cardweb.com

Nov 24, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Yes I saw it. Eye opener.
People are consumers, not citizens. That's sad.

Nov 24, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 
A

So the industry calls me a "deadbeat."

Well, why can't they pass the word around and quit sending me about 5 apps a day. They all just get thrown in the shredder.

I have a friend that takes his CC apps - shreds all the papers and puts them neatly in the postage paid envelope and mails their trash right back to them.

Another interesting note. Did you know that companies like Ford and GM are only profitable through their credit operations. If they sold every car just at sticker price it wouldn't cover their overhead but those interest payments keep them alive.

We may be a nation of consumers but we sure ain't spending our own money on it.

Nov 24, 04 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: