Archinect
anchor

photos of project in china

anti

I have put up a bunch of photos from one of my projects here in china which some of you may find interesting:

http://www.byandrew.com
>> go to Terra Traveller >> #19 Residential Project

It is a high end residential development in Shanezhen China. I am designing the landscape -- the arch was by Arquitectonica.

Building here never ceases to amaze me -- both the size and speed as well as the complete lack of craftsmenship...

Ill put up some renderings / plans here in the next couple of days.

Nov 8, 04 5:21 am
sameolddoctor

the interface sucks..but the project is interesting
would help if there were some renderings that show what its actually supposed to look like when its done

Nov 8, 04 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Anti the project is interesting but the site as a whole also has tons of great info.

Nov 8, 04 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Anti the project is interesting but the site as a whole also has tons of great info.

Nov 8, 04 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

so wha'ts working in asia like? i want to work there when i grow up. i lived in hong kong for 4 years and am chinese-american

Nov 8, 04 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Good pics, I miss Korea!

Nov 8, 04 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

My favorite pic was stupid ass curve. I say primarily for the nice caption in action. No wonder we are paying out the ____ for concrete in the states! If in doubt make it stout...

Nov 8, 04 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
anti

thanks for the constructive criticism S.O.D. Here are a couple renderings done by ARQ.

Nov 8, 04 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
anti

The context rendered here is completely off. Its very built up with little green left.

Nov 8, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

anti, good pics! btw, who designed the master plan? Arquitectonica, your office? or the third one?

Nov 9, 04 12:33 am  · 
 · 
caste

I really think in 10 to 20 years the architects from china will be leading the pack. Like Chicago after the fire all the building and the real estate markets are gonna combine and create a school. Right now the work is b and c grade (not calling out this project) but I dont think thats gonna hold.It should be interesting

Nov 9, 04 12:56 am  · 
 · 
anti

qunqing: the masterplan was ARQ led with our office along for the ride. When it is done it will be the most expensive apartments in Shenzhen (in terms of the cost of buying one, not how much they spent building it).

Caste: Unlike chicago, where most of the new building was done by local firms or architects that moved to the area, most of the high profile projects here are done by foreigners (ala ARQ for this one). The problem with arch education here (even at TsingHua, the GSD of China) is that learning is very repetitive and there is not a lot of experimentation. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 9, 04 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

Anti, that was a sharp point about the cost. Nice. Location Location Location.

Nov 9, 04 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Anti- do you know any foreign architects working as professors at the TsingHua or other universities? I'm thinking about looking for a job in Korea, but wouldn't be opposed to working in China. What are your thoughts on possibilities for a recent grad wanting to move East? I'm open to any architecture related fields. Thanks

Nov 9, 04 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
anti

brian:
The only foreigner that I know is teaching here is Olin (landscape architect from PA). As far as working here, just show up and have any amount of talent and you can find work. There is so much work going on that we hire anything with a decent portfolio.

There are more and more foreign offices opening up shop here. You would not be limited to working for a foreign firm, but finding connections to china firms would be difficult unless you A) are already here or B)speak chinese or C) know someone who can give you a lead.

Nov 10, 04 4:46 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

anti- How long have you lived in china? Do most Chinese speak enough English for you to get by? Are there any cities or firms you would recommend?

Nov 10, 04 11:03 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Andrew/anti - been a fan of your site, and i've also been curious to move to China (especially since I'm tired of construction prices constantly rising due to the boom in China and my gf moving to Guangzau next April). I am curious of the level of work available, because alot of what i'm seeing is residential towers. Just wondering what other building types are taking place - rather important since I've been working in Montserrat for the last 3, and have repeated a building type 30 some projects later. Curious....

Nov 10, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

anti,
the landscape is so much better looking and resolved than the building - if you designed the landscape, then a big shout out to you!!!

Nov 10, 04 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

brian,
you may try M.D.S.P(qingyun ma) in shanghai. a good china firm and a good city. many foreign designers are working there.

Nov 10, 04 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

anti,
considering they hire foreign firms, they do spend much more building the towers.

Nov 10, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
ther_mos_i_phon

here is another foreigner teaching here.

Nov 10, 04 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
anti

brian: I have been here about a year. All of my co workers speak english so that is not a problem. For general day to day things, most of the locals who work in resteraunts / shops that cater to foreigners speak english. Most locals do not however speak any more english than "hello" which they will say to you repeatedly for anything they are trying to tell you.
hello=do you want to buy this?
hello=don't go that way!
hello=your girlfriend is hot, can I have a go with her?

Guangzau is likely to dissapoint you / your gf. Do some lonely planet discussion boards for the city. Most foreigners dislike living there, although most of my chinese staff prefer that city to shenzhen because it actually has some history to it.

Everything has +/- ... I love hong kong, but many people get tired of the rude impersonal nature of most HKers. Shanghai is exciting. Beijing is my favorite though, people are generally much nicer than here, it has more history than you can shake a stick at, and english is prevelent.

The work depends on who you sign up with. It is true that residential towers amount for a very large % of what is going up here, but there are plenty of other things too. Just do some homework.

Nov 11, 04 12:52 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

thanks Andy

Nov 11, 04 7:22 am  · 
 · 
anti

Jam- Ill trade places with you. You find me an land arch job in Montserrat and Ill find you an arch job in china. Deal?

Nov 12, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

hey anti: question:

what camera do you use?
what film do you use?

excellent photography!

Nov 14, 04 12:25 am  · 
 · 
anti

alfredo: I have a sony F828 digital. thanks.

Nov 14, 04 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: