Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

That's a trade secret. Also, beer.

Dec 8, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Cool.

Well, I got the email too hence the foreplay.

Dec 8, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I've never gotten anything good for being savage but honest. 

I have no idea why I keep doing it.

Oh yeah.  It's fun. 

Dec 8, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

I've tried being savagely honest a few times lately and it's gotten me nothing but scorn.  Men hate when women aren't caretakers of their emotions. But Judith Chafee is my spiritual guide these days.

Dec 8, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
The real problem with Oakland is all these fucking poor.
Dec 9, 16 12:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm exhausted and haven't had more than 20 hours sleep this week. Anyone else just want to stare at a wall?

Dec 9, 16 3:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ I'm with you on that. Must be the 6-month old in the house.
Dec 9, 16 6:17 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Have you tried to get the 6 month old to change its own nappies yet? Train them early.

Dec 9, 16 6:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not yet. We've currently working on teaching him not to rip my glasses off of my face.

Dec 9, 16 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Bench

That's just an excuse to get shiny new glasses, innit?

Dec 9, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

make sure they're obnoxious glasses otherwise you're not a real designer.

Dec 9, 16 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

They obviously are obnoxious... please.... and I have several pairs with the same prescription. 3 cheers for free eye-care plan!

Strange thing is, mine are the only glasses he grabs. His mother's glasses are oddly free of teeny-tiny finger print smudges.

Dec 9, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 
citizen

That's cuz he wants to see more of your handsome kisser!

Dec 9, 16 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Friday morning creative thought: you know how people who have been caught drunk driving have to have breathalyzers in their cars? I was just thinking that there should be a similar device for people who constantly tell lies, even if it's the ones they tell themselves, could benefit from a similar device that was fixed to their body like a patch on the wrist or something that had lie detector technology and would zap them everytime they lied. 

Dec 9, 16 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The Lie-alyzer.

Dec 9, 16 11:52 am  · 
 · 
citizen

We're gonna need about, oh... seven billion of 'em.

Dec 9, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^most of them I feel will need to be shipped to Astoria, or.

Dec 9, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm a few posts late, but this article about the Ghost Ship fire really sums up my thoughts:

America Has Abandoned Its Artists

Dec 9, 16 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Good link, tduds, thanks.

Dec 9, 16 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

This is a beautiful remembrance of Zaha from the Guardian, written by Zaha's niece, an architect. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/dec/11/zaha-hadid-remembered-by-rana-hadid-niece-architecture-obituary​

Things aren't getting better. Everything is getting worse.  Everything makes me more sad.

Dec 11, 16 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Dammit donna! If you have truly felt this way for the past couple weeks I hope you can find something positive to focus on, otherwise it will be a very long 4-8 years, life is far too short to waste energy like that

Dec 12, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Is it wasting energy to work towards a world that's better than the one we have? Why bother being an architect if one believes that?

I'm trying, I'm seriously trying. But the complete shattering of many recent illusions is a hard thing to be skippy happy about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 13, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Has the fan literally been hit that hard Donna?

Dec 13, 16 8:50 am  · 
 · 
You guys recall that I work not in an architecture firm but with a bunch of people without degrees, or with a general BA or something that just sort of landed in whatever career/job they are doing. Architects tend to be passionate and driven and committed about our work, and that makes for a certain workplace dynamic that can be great, or not. I'm surrounded by lots of people who really just see their job as a means to make money. It's gotten depressing.
Dec 13, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Dang, forum looks like it must be the end of the semester, lots of virtual dogs eating the homework...

Dec 13, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

To piggy back on Quondam, I'm pretty sure the fact my dating life is awful is that deep down I don't want to have to take care of anyone else. Maybe my exes  were right and I'm a selfish prick.

I work too much and enjoy spending time by myself doing hobbies too much. No room left after that.

Dec 13, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Josh that is because you know you can depend on your work and have faith in your work because you are the person who performs the work. You can always count on the work, even if there is none because its what you do and what you want to take care of. Accept your mad genius or workaholic self and someone will take care of you. Sometimes you get mad at the work and depressed and loose faith in yourself, that other person will just let you know on that day the work did not matter. I suggest you try other types of people, not other professionals or persons with like interests.

Dec 14, 16 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

... oh my, the ninja mask has been cast aside.

Dec 14, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what ninja? so NS, I am thinking of a new blog project. AOR and theorist and critic but for my kids project. thinking, Youngminds AOR or Freeminds AOR. simple premise, asked my daughters 5 and 8 to design a much needed car port under the pine tree. Tree sap is hard to get off a car (gasoline). The 8 year old went gamer after I explained plans and elevations, a four section drawing on one page, top view, side view, etc....the 5 year old proposed bombs as part of the building elements. as the AOR would take those designs into a very serious AOR role, CDs, code analysis, etc.....on the theory end, was thinking to ask them to do old real design competitions and see what they come up with and then wax heavy on the theiry....lastly, imagine a studio pin-up with a toddler showing their block models and scribbles and a crowd of black wearing jurists with legs crossed and hands to chin seriously deliberating about the proposal, maybe getting animated and yelling about the abuse of post modernity in the toddlers colorful block proposal.....thoughts?

Dec 15, 16 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got my toddler a book about design earlier this week and we have been reading it every night. She loves it and has been creating some great stuff with play dough... Landscapes with colorful and well formed flowers and play dough clothing for her dolls. She is very in tune with color, size, shape, number, contrast, & composition already. Link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Book-About-Design-Complicated-Doesnt/dp/0805075755

Dec 15, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 

I bought myself a new iMac with an SSD - holy shit is it fast. Apps open in seconds, not minutes like my old Macbook Pro.

Dec 15, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's one fun critique you describe Chris. I'd go one step further and draw right on the presentation, just like in the good old days of my studios.

What's this pile of blocks? Rubish, why don't you stack them on their corners, bend gravity to suit my poorly thought-out criticism! I think pre post-modernity will make a comeback.

Josh I just built myself a beast of a pc with a SSD. Great stuff.

Dec 15, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I found this video about smarter cities, it's interesting that people are now making popular videos about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOOWk5yCMMs

Dec 16, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well Non, i have done that to the models or little worlds the kids build, you know - move a piece here and there just to be a dick. the typical reaction is panic, arms flapping, screaming and crying and being called "Rude". then I say something like "yeah, wasn't symmetrical." and the reaction is something like "what is symmetrical" or the older getting more smarter makes everything symmetrical and goes into a tirade ending with "is your life really that sad? see i made everything symmetrical blah blah.". for those moments, messing with the models is just worth it. wonder if thats why studio profs did such things?

Dec 16, 16 7:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and cool book tinnt, they should make that suggested reading for final studio, right after you think you have mastered parametricism.

Dec 16, 16 7:38 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

"But Judith Chafee is my spiritual guide these days.​"  I don't know if I should run or go grab another bottle of bourbon.

Dec 16, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

I listened to Obama's press conference today. He sounded tired, frustrated, and in disbelief over the blisteringly stupid reality of our situation.

That's how I feel about that "why don't professors like my PMS" thread. Good lord.

Dec 16, 16 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sorry 'bout that.

Dec 16, 16 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

I just watched the interview on NPR, if that's what you saw too Donna, I agree.

Dec 16, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Come on Donna, every time a woman gets mad, it must be her period-time; every man knows that much.

Dec 16, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
sukk741

A thread name here until recently was bold, I like it. Suddenly, it's not. Nothing escapes my notice.

Dec 17, 16 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Where was that thread on mansplaining? I want to read more about guys telling women how women feel during their period.

Dec 17, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

popping back in to say, to Donna re: your comment earlier: I've been thinking a lot about why I'm so happy lately, and quite honestly a LOT of it has to do with my colleagues.  I'm at a firm currently where literally everyone I work with is great.  Nice people, good workers, funny, engaging -- I could be stuck on a long drive to a job site meeting with any one of them and thoroughly enjoy it.  I fully realize how rare (in the larger world) that is.  (Every single colleague at my spouse's workplace is truly awful.) However, I do think that it is usually one of the perks of working as an architect.  Architects are generally intelligent, articulate, and hard working.  We don't always agree on everything, and not all architects have the greatest sense of humor, but most of us do, and most of us are pretty great to work with.  Over the years I've made a lot of true friends out of colleagues, and I think that's probably fairly unusual in the larger working world. 

Maybe it's time to give firm life another shot...? 

Dec 17, 16 11:28 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

any denver archinectors want to add a few beers to untapped at lunch today?

Dec 19, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Not in Denver... but since I don't have much else to do... I'd love to.

Sadly, i can't. 

Dec 19, 16 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Does anyone have access to a simple graphic representation of the differing densities of urban environment from core downtown through medium density through streetcar suburb through donut suburb through exurb? Someone must have produced one since the 70s.

Dec 19, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, this is for Australian cities, but should hold true across western liberal democracies as the land use planning is similar.

https://chartingtransport.com/2012/10/19/comparing-the-residential-densities-of-australian-cities-2011/

Dec 19, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Also, obviously not in denver, but I'd love to join for brews,

Dec 19, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Ooh, some good info there, archanonymous, thanks. Love this one:

Dec 19, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, you're very welcomed... but perhaps those thanks are meant for archanonymous?

Dec 19, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: