Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Haha. I've actually met David already at the AIA Convention when it was here in Chicago.
Dec 23, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Merry Christmas everyone. I just heard that George Michael died today. Noooo!

Dec 25, 16 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

#NotMyAMA

Dec 27, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Was Koz banned? wow.

Dec 28, 16 10:58 am  · 
 · 
I don't know. The username still shows up with the posts for me.
Dec 28, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Could he have blocked me from seeing his posts? I see his comments, but not his posts on the list

Dec 28, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Not that I care, that would be a relief

Dec 28, 16 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I got everything set up to work from home today - which is coming in handy the rest of this week, and seems like it might be handy for late nights and weekends.

It's good now since I just had a dental procedure yesterday and don't feel like getting out of pjs, but I can see a pandora's box opening up on this one.

Yay!

Dec 28, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

I lived really close to the office once. It was a blessing and a curse. I never had to take work home, but everyone knew it was easiest for me to stay and work late since I had basically no commute, so I was always on the hook for that. 

On the other hand, I now have a substantial commute and that sucks, but I always have an excuse to leave the office on time so I don't get stuck in traffic. The other downside is that I end up taking work home on occasion and I never work as efficiently at home. 

There is no winning sometimes. 

Dec 28, 16 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Doh!!
Dec 30, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How can individuals be selectively banned?

Josh, I've build myself a little office since we purchased our house last year and I've got just about everything up for remote work. It comes in real handy in the evenings when I have to escape at 5ish but still want to put in a few more hours in the evening when the baby is asleep.

Dec 30, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Nice find, Marc. I like a lot of those, hate a few of them.

Interesting to see the giant potato from the MOMA Helsinki competition got built in Montana!!

Dec 31, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I love the H+DM philharmonic building. The interiors are gorgeous.
Dec 31, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Ugh, b3ta! That thing is hideous from the outside!  So bad that IDGAF what the interiors look like!

Dec 31, 16 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I so love the building Donna, love it more than the Jean Nouvel one.

Dec 31, 16 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Choice between a giant pile of poop and a giant pile of sour meringue on a stale piece of pie? Neither, thank you.

Dec 31, 16 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
I love the HdeM building too. If you don't like it, then f**k you?

Happy New Year Y'all! (Except Koz)
Dec 31, 16 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Happy New Year! 

Dec 31, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Kozistan, you didn't wish anyone a happy New Year...

Jan 1, 17 6:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Koz, off your meds again? Keep your dumpster fires In your own thread. Pointing out the obvious flaws in your poorly thought out plans is not elitist.

New year happy thoughts for all and a raised pint of Guinness for 2017.
Jan 1, 17 6:16 am  · 
 · 
Bench
Really Donna? I got to check it out while it was under construction a couple years back, I was really impressed. For the standard "new-glass-box-on-old-historic-building" typology it seemed to really have merit, way beyond so many of the cliches and crutches normally found in those projects.
Jan 1, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
I mean if you're going to rant about me, use my last name correctly?

There's certain things in my life I'm unhappy with yeah. In fact I'm pretty open about going through a clinical depression at the moment. But even with that, there is nothing that would make me put you down personally. I don't think highly of you because of the way you present yourself here and your views are pretty typical entitled elitist daddy pays for everything oh woe is me bullshit. You think everything you do is right band won't listen to those of us with 5,10,20 years or more experience.

As far as me being an elitist? I grew up in Section 8 housing and my family was poor until my mom and stepdad got their feet on solid ground when I was in high school. I've fought for everything I have.

And if not wishing you a happy new year was vitriol, then you've really got a low tolerance for anyone saying anything contrary to you. You need to thicken your skin.
Jan 1, 17 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
You have a lot to learn, young one. A lot.

And I don't like tea.
Jan 1, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
ThinkDrinkEvolve

Jan 1, 17 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
That may be the best GIF I've seen on these boards.
Jan 1, 17 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
ThinkDrinkEvolve

bruh, I got ya ;)

Jan 1, 17 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Between the lyrics and GIF, I think you're my new favorite Archinect poster.
Jan 1, 17 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Bench, I hate the proportions of new to old. The old is being crushed. It's like their Caixa Forum, which also looks like the new thing is raping the old building. I used to love their work, lately it's not impressing me AT ALL.

Also the wavy top is disappointing. Just silly.

Jan 1, 17 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I feel very naive but I've just learnt that the Great Wall of China isn't just a singular long wall but several that intertwine.....Never too late to learn!

Jan 2, 17 5:45 am  · 
 · 
At least for me, the main thing with both Caixa and the Elbphilharmonie is that they create a dialogue with their existing structures in unexpected ways. You know what's old, you know what's new, and you know what was changed to merge them together. I'm a big fan of that.
Jan 2, 17 9:40 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Just getting around to clicking the 25 buildings link. 

A lot of them are just meh.  I dig a few.

I saw the picture of the building on the Drexel campus and wanted to like it.  I really did.  But then the more I looked at it, it started to bug me.  The building obviously has this gesture towards symmetry.  But then, it isn't.  Either be symmetrical, or be intentionally asymmetrical.  But don't lead me to see symmetry, only to have me feeling awkward when I notice the piece that doesn't quite make it. 

Jan 2, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks for the link, Marc. I'm in NYC for the week and was going to ask TC for stuff to look at but that list pretty much takes care of it! My architect friend that is with me thinks it is silly that I have internet friends but this is why, I get to know about cool stuff.

Jan 2, 17 10:11 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and nothing from the pritzker winner? ha!

Jan 2, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
ThinkDrinkEvolve

Mr. Mings we appreciate the feedback! Thats who we will be.

Jan 2, 17 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Josh I don't think it's a dialogue so much as a shouting match in which the new is a 300-pound linebacker and the existing is a 95-pound ballerina.

Jan 2, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Of all those 'masterpieces", my dislikes are tied between the 4Billion dollar flyless gull and the oversized and twisted teepee prison compound on 57th. Just from looking at the pretty pictures.

Jan 2, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

To me the red "Oasia" hotel looks cringy af.

Jan 2, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

senjohn, I think that Drexel project's subtle asymmetry is lovely. Different strokes, obviously! But the other Philly project, by HollwichKushner, gives me the heebie-jeebies. Too pokey!

Jan 2, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Have fun Tintt

Jan 2, 17 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Looks like Koz is history....

Jan 3, 17 1:06 am  · 
 · 
Looks like it. I hope he gets the help that he needs and doesn't go off the rails any more than he already has.
Jan 3, 17 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Koz gave his account password in one of his threads then everything fell apart.

Oh well, new-years happy thoughts! Back to the office today.

Jan 3, 17 8:17 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

KOZ IS RICK.

Jan 3, 17 8:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what happened to the union thread?

Jan 3, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^It got blasted away when Koz's account was deleted and or banned. There was a melt-down some time last night and a bunch of nonsensical posts were made.

Jan 3, 17 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Interesting to see the difference in the banning of Balkins to the nuclear option taken for Koz. All Rick lost was his name on his posts. Koz just simply vanished.
Jan 3, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Non Seq, did that really happen? Koz published his/her password here? And then other people started setting up threads in his/her name or something?

I've been busy drinking wine and cooking with my family for the holidays. Haven't been keeping up with the forum enough!

Jan 3, 17 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Bench
I saw the password come up but went to bed after Canada beat the Czechs, anyone want to fill in the post-10pm scenario ?
Jan 3, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna / Bench - a day or so back Koz got po'd over some things other posters wrote on his Union thread. He became abusive, wrote some highly unflattering things about the direction America is headed, said (once again) that he was leaving the forum, and posted his account login information. Roughly 12 hours later all of his threads, and - I believe - all of his posts had disappeared, presumably due to actions taken by the Big Green Head.

Jan 3, 17 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: