Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

senjohnblutarsky

Last president was unqualified.  Didn't stop everyone from electing him.  (and I'm not saying Obama had any strikes against him in the racist/sexist realm.  That is very much separate.  Just speaking to political/executive experience).

I'm simply not ready to say the sky is falling, yet.  Want to make sure something happens?  Tell everyone it's going to happen.  Chances are, it will.  If everyone would just chill and focus on what good can be done, I think we'd all be a lot better off, and not see some of the suspected actions take place. 

Nov 28, 16 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

I listen to The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe religiously every week. Their word of the week this week was "autopoiesis".  Thanks to Patrimetric, I already knew what that word means!

Nov 28, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

God I love gloating to my Toronto friends about Ottawa finally winning something for once.

And where the hell is Burris in that promo ?

Nov 28, 16 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Is Ottawa the red-headed step-child of Canada?

Nov 28, 16 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing about legal and illegal. It's not by accident that most of the assholes stinking up congress are either businessmen or lawyers. Law: something lawyers profit from and is used to keep the rest of us confused and complacent.

Nov 28, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, the red-head step child of canada is the province of Quebec.

Ottawa is the well mannered intelligent cousin that always leaves the party early.

Nov 28, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Bench, I thought the same thing, but I took that pic from the team's website earlier today.
Nov 28, 16 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

read most of the Art of the Deal over the weekend.... I hope that most of Trump's positions are actually the beginning of a negotiation to a more reasonable end point.  Basically I hope he's crazy like a fox vs just crazy

Nov 29, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Architecture Sucks. I wore my shirt that says so today but only around home. It was an architecture sucks kind of day.

Nov 29, 16 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

How in the hell did that combination get together?

Nov 30, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's one helluva interesting guest list.

Nov 30, 16 10:26 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Courtney Love causes me to react like i'm seeing a picture of Buzz's girlfriend. 

It's just never a good picture.  

Nov 30, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

kolhaus looks high as a kite!  

didn't vote for trump or hillary

Nov 30, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I totally believe a 52 year-old has a pair of natural headlights like that.

Nov 30, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Martha's prob more fun, however...

Nov 30, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I got a new job! Starting next week.

Dec 2, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

grats tduds!  i wish you the best in your new endeavors!

Dec 2, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

congrats tduds. 

Dec 2, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

congrats tduds!

since starting my new job i've developed an eye twitch and stress cough. hope its better than that!

Dec 2, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thanks all. It looks like a solid opportunity. I went to their holiday party yesterday to get acquainted, and they're definitely a good group of people.

Dec 2, 16 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Ah the stress cough... I thought i was the only one.

Dec 2, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

love gets around, buzz

caught in headlights, fly, paper

buzzing like we care

Dec 2, 16 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats, tduds!

Dec 2, 16 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats, tduds!

Dec 2, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
What if Fox News really was news about foxes?
Dec 4, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-my wife is in many ways potentially personally affected by the potential fallout from Trumps election. Of course all women are. As part of her family I am too. We are getting ready to leave if we need to.
Dec 4, 16 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
'What if Fox News really was news about foxes?'

Doesn't the playboy channel already cover that beat?

Oh sorry, you meant the other kind of fox!
Dec 5, 16 3:41 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Found our new official band.

Dec 5, 16 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

We went for a road trip to Northern Cali over thanksgiving, and stopped over at a few hotels/motels. At every cafe we say groups of people wondering "How the fuck did this (Trump) happen". Somber indeed.

Dec 6, 16 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Ctaylor12

Can I have some advice on what you think i should change about this structure? My team is struggling to reach designers to fund this project on kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onlylovefoundation/the-school-of-tomorrow?ref=user_menu

Dec 6, 16 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ fund what? All your proposing is a simple building in impoverished Africa. I think the last thing they need there is a mother bunch of rich white dicks telling them what to do. Architecture does not solve social problems.

Want to help? Build toilets.
Dec 6, 16 1:40 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ I agree, hygiene facilities are extremely important and are a leading cause of childhood death in Africa, South America and parts of Asia.

interesting enough I was contacted to join a team of toilet designers for third world countries.

Dec 6, 16 4:00 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I've been away for a while, but i have to admit that I am absolutely shocked there's been no discussion, that i can see, of the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland.  I see that as a failure at all levels of the local governments duty to protect its people, and another symptom of the housing crisis in that region.  Sickening...

Dec 6, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^was wondering about that too yesterday.

Was this thing known to people outside of the residents?

Dec 6, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It was being investigated by the local government after complaints of being non compliant were received. I don't think it's a good example of the Bay Area housing issue. It was an artists collective. They would have been living there regardless. 

Dec 6, 16 11:43 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The lease holder as well. This will dovetail with the other thread about the "disadvantages " to licensure I believe.

With the Berkeley balcony failure, the philly demo collapse, and this, perhaps an in depth article on liability and the standard of care would be in order. 

Dec 6, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

surely part of the negligence is on the people who chose to live there, knowing that it was never intended for habitation or that high of an occupancy count?  with a balcony collapse, we know the balcony is not performing as expected.  in this case, a warehouse does not have the same life safety requirements as an institutional or residential occupancy for a reason.

Dec 6, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Most people don't know that. You have years of experience explaining to people what zoning and building codes are and why they exist. This is why they exist. Blaming the people who went to a party because they expected that the building management was in compliance with regulations is uncalled for. 

Dec 6, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Or evaluate fire hazards.

Dec 6, 16 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been in two building fires. One was set by my redneck roommate lighting off fire crackers on the porch on New Years Eve. 

Dec 6, 16 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i spent about  year and a half living in a similar place just outside downtown detroit, crazy times.  

My sister and a bunch of her friends got roughed up and had cars impounded by the detroit police for attending an illegal party at a museum.  Awesome situation, police decided that there were illegal drugs at the party and impounded every car in the vicinity, ACLU ended up suing

Dec 6, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you step onto a balcony, it is certainly reasonable to assume the balcony is going to stand up.

this wasn't just a warehouse party, there were people who lived there, who obviously knew there was a difference between this place and a hotel or an apartment.  if people were there only attending a party, they knew there was something different between this place and a normal, legal club.  a similar analogy would be someone who swims with sharks in the ocean because they look safe at sea world.

we should protect our neighbors and our communities as well as we can, but there is a point where just have to stop babysitting every individual.  people make bad choices.  let them take responsibility for those choices.

Dec 6, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

No longer being alive is the ultimate responsibility, wouldn't you say?

What an abhorrent series of thoughts.

Dec 6, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Your holier than thou attitude on these forums is abhorrent. What is that Peewee's word of the day? Yay!!! If you go to a rave, many of which used to be housed in old warehouses, part of the mystique, the thrill is that you are participating in an illegal, underground party. I'm not sure if that is what happened here, but from the few things I've heard about it, the place reeked of cool.

Dec 6, 16 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

poor fella. 

Dec 6, 16 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I think the real issue here was the lack of code enforcement by the city, they may have been investigating, we don't know how often and recent complaints were, but it sounds like it was only a matter of time before a failure there would put people's lives in danger.  The real responsibility here lies with code officials, and the building's manager/owner...

Dec 7, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

I'm getting emails for my savage but honest portfolio reviews. I should start charging.

Dec 8, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ What are your rates? I promise not to spoil the market.

Dec 8, 16 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, same here.

Dec 8, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: