Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Somebody above (can't find it now) asked about local measures we were involved with. It's a small ray of light compared to what happened at the federal level, but Seattle's $54 billion transit initiative passed by a significant margin. I was active with Seattle Subway in helping get it passed, including some guerrilla tactics like chalking the sidewalks at future light rail stations. He's a pic of me (red jacket) and some friends chalking the sidewalk in front of the Seattle Public Library.

Nov 11, 16 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^what a great idea!

Nov 11, 16 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Montreal has whole underground network connecting most of the downtown buildings, shopping, and metro lines together. Been like that since the 60s.
Nov 11, 16 6:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
EI, it can't be the same reicardinisky. The previous one would never have referenced any other place than Astoria.
Nov 11, 16 6:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You can't drive in the underground tunnels in Montreal though. The high school I attended had underground tunnels too.

Nov 11, 16 8:13 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so what did Balky do, if Trump wins he would come back to Archinect, he only showed back up after that? what the hell...

Nov 11, 16 9:47 am  · 
 · 
You know I haven't seen b3ta post in a while, he could be under a deadline ... or perhaps he's trying to create a third online presence as Balkins 2?

The real Balkins would know what he emailed me about before he was banned.
Nov 11, 16 10:13 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Speaking of missing personalities, where is placebeyondsplines?

Nov 11, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 

David, it looks like the website for Seattle Subway needs an update ... copied the following just now: "Sound Transit already operates subway trains through Downtown, and in the next few years will extend underground rail service to Capitol Hill, the University of Washington, [...]" Yet, a press release from Sound Transit from March 18, 2016 says that's already done: Light Rail reaches Seattle's Capitol Hill, University of Washington.

Isn't there already a light rail station 2 blocks from the Library? It was convenient enough for me when I was last in Seattle and wanted to visit the Library ... goes all the way out to the airport too. How many stations are being added through downtown?

Nov 11, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Light rail in downtown Seattle currently runs through the Downtown Transit Tunnel under 3rd Avenue, along with a few bus routes. (The buses will be evicted from the tunnel once the East Link line opens in 2023, or possibly sooner depending on the expansion plans of the Washington State Convention Center near the bus portal at the north end.) ST3 will include the construction of a second light rail tunnel through downtown, most likely under 5th Avenue.

Nov 11, 16 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Nov 11, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

BRT proposal failed in metro detroit, back to the drawing board I guess.  personally I'd like to see the same proposal but leave out Macomb County, see how they like that

Nov 11, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Struck out on getting a Nintendo Classic today. Thanks Trump.

Nov 11, 16 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Go. Away.
Nov 11, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

OK, that AIA statement is now really pissing me off. 

Nov 11, 16 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does anyone know of a good beginner level industrial design book? I am in search of one for a student who is a high school freshman.

Nov 12, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-what AIA statement?
Nov 12, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ooooo.... You mean this one .

https://archpaper.com/2016/11/aia-pledges-work-donald-trump-membership-recoils/

Yeah, AIA sucks
Nov 12, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Same here about the AIA statement, and my renewal notice is still sitting in my inbox. Debating if I should skip renewal this year and remove the "AIA" after my name, or stay involved and flip some tables on the inside. (My employer covers the membership dues, so money isn't the issue.)

Nov 12, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the AiA is useless tits, why else say such a thing when you and I toh know the worst clients sound like donald trump, or not...i wonder, how did Costas Kondylis vote?

Nov 12, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

I'm not renewing my AIA membership this year, and my firm pays 100% for it. Also considering to start a petition for Ivy to step down

Nov 12, 16 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
I think my office has already renewed ours, so I vote for fighting from the inside. Kind of wonder what my boss thinks since she's on the local chapter board.
Nov 12, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

So now Ivy has issued a response and it's worse even than the original.

I will definitely renew and stay involved for one year. I am Ex Officio of our local board for 2017, and committed to organizing our regional conference. I won't renege on those commitments, and my local chapter members are wonderful people who I'm honored to work with. But at the moment, especially based on the second statement issued today, I may consider not joining again for 2018, unless there are some serious leadership changes.

It pains me to say that, because I know there are dedicated, involved people, including many emerging professionals, who work at the National level and are specifically working on inclusion efforts. But dammit, man - the original statement was at minimum tone deaf, and the second clarification was flat-out gross. I sincerely wonder WHO wrote these statements and who vetted them?

Nov 12, 16 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

Went from a brown nose to brown shoulders.

Nov 13, 16 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for posting that link, Rick.

Nov 13, 16 7:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I will start by saying I am not a member, and don't plan to be.  But, you are being ridiculous. In a time where people seem to be doing their best to divide the country, a group says they are willing to move ahead for the betterment of that country. They aren't saying they agree with the man's politics. They are just recognizing a need in our infrastructure, and there is one.  That same need was recognized by the candidate, and they are saying this is common ground they can use to move forward. 

I don't agree with a lot of people I have dealings with. But, I do my best to find a common ground that works toward the greater good. 

Frankly, I am tired of the pouting. If you want things to be better, then find ways to work with what you are given. We are supposedly being given an opportunity to better the infrastructure. We need to do so.  Four years from now, you can vote for someone else. 

Nov 13, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 

senjohn, Ivy's statement goes directly against the code of ethics our members are required to abide by as well as ignoring the sustainability goals we as an organization pledged to work towards. This isn't about common ground, it's the organization that represents me telling me to work directly against the very tenets of our organization. That's why we're asking for clarification.

Nov 13, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The AIA has always been a good ol boy conservative club, what's new?

Nov 13, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 

There is a line somewhere.

Shouldn't the AIA take a stand given Trumps stated goal of building a wall and detention camps?

Nov 13, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

he didn't specifically say that the aia now supports racism, misogyny, xenophobia, or religious intolerance.  just that the aia wants congress to spend money in a way that benefits architects right?

i think the aia should not support border walls or private immigrant detention centers.  so is the problem that robert ivy isn't providing a line-item list like that, of what trump has said that we find acceptable vs. what we don't find acceptable?  or is it reconciliation in general?

the 115th congress and presidency has been set.  there was an election that was probably fair, and now we have to deal with the consequence of the voice of america.  if we want our country to be successful, we have to work with the people we elected.  i think our best path forward is to provide a clear opposition voice saying discrimination based on race, religion, or gender isn't going to be tolerated, and on other issues we'll work toward finding a middle that acceptable to as many people as possible.

Nov 13, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Schools and hospitals are one thing.

The wall and detention camps are another. 

Nov 13, 16 10:39 am  · 
 · 

The real conundrum is this:

One could argue that if you help Trump become successful on projects that benefit America that you give him power to do things that don't. 

Nov 13, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Bench

On a lighter note - did anyone watch SNL last night?

The quality of the show has been declining for the last 5 years, with a lot of filler segments and whatnot. However, they seem to tap the general mood pretty damn well for the big moments. The cold open paying tribute to Leonard Cohen and the election result at the same time was deft and thoughtful - and Chapelle's opening monologue was spot-on. I'm really liking the dynamic that has grown between Che and Jost as well; Weekend Update is consistently poignant (though I think Seth Meyers still did it better).

I'm pumped that Chappelle is back!

Nov 13, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, it would seem that the remodeling of the Old Post Office building into a hotel in downtown DC went pretty well.

Nov 13, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ivy sucks. What a horrid follow up. Guy would have supported the Berlin Wall if some design $$ went to AIA members.
Nov 13, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

as tintt says, the AIA is an old boys club. Whats new?

Nov 13, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and that is why architecture should have nothing to do with that kind of politics. we need better infrastructure and most that work will go to Engineers who are even more rational about existence than architects. I know Hitler built great highways during the war, but this is hardly Nazi Germany, not even fucking close - ask a survivor if any are left or are we re-imagining history at our convenience. The wall is hardly the Berlin wall or DDR Germany, I was there when the wall fell and very familiar with many escape stories and the differences between west and east. again a wall between Mexico and USA is not even compariable or in the same world of intolerance. .....I always thought liberals were open to ideas and adaptive, the hyposcrisy is embarrassing. again Trump as president is Not Hitler, and is Not even Soviet block countries. anyone that makes these comparisons is an ignorant fool who is severly downplaying a world that was much more fucked up than ours.....remember that joke called Occupy Wall Street? get your shit together

Nov 14, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Stephen Bannon is now chief WH strategist.  

Nov 14, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 

This should be crystal clear to everyone except the willfully ignorant.

Nov 14, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 

To those saying AIA is just an old white guy club: The attached is an open letter to Robert Ivy from Rosa Cheng AIA. I *only* know of Rosa through both of us being active in the AIA. THIS is the AIA I have been a part of for the last five years: an organization that recognizes it has become too homogeneous and has been pushing HARD for equity, for opening doors to people who have traditionally found our profession harder than have white middle- or upper-class young people.

An excerpt: Please recognize that, in word and in action, you perpetuated our profession’s white, male privilege when you offered the Institute’s support for a person known for promoting a worldview that threatens to pit us against one another on the basis of our race, gender, creed, or sexual orientation. These beliefs do not reflect who we are, nor do we believe that they reflect the core values we are responsible for upholding as a profession. These include: sustainability through dedication to climate action, promotion of domestic and global projects that are humane and socially just, and equity, diversity and inclusion in both practice and representation.

The entire letter is fantastic.

Nov 14, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Sorry Donna, I meant the "leadership of the AIA is an old white boys club"

Nov 14, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

I'll just say that as a high schooler, my guidance counselor tried to push me away from architecture because I didn't come from a rich family. Granted that was close to 20 years ago now (holy shit, I'm old), the idea of the Architect coming from some rich family and being rich themselves is still prevalent in the public's eye. I had one ex in particular whose mother implored her daughter to stay with me because "I'd be rich one day".

I may be white and male, but I grew up poor as shit. It was only thought extremely hard work (and merit scholarships) that I ended up going to a private school and am where I am today. That's why what Rosa is doing is so important, and why the statement has pissed off a lot of people. Anyone with talent and a passion for architecture should be able to make it and be represented by the AIA. 

So many of us don't come from that white male elitist background, and it's our time to help shape the next generation of the AIA. This statement was not a good start. 

Nov 14, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Which it is, sameold, as their letter has proved.

Nov 14, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Donna, Rosa is amazing. She's someone I look up to and am always glad that I had the honor of working with. 

Nov 14, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

jla, is this why you voted for Mr. "I dont know what is Aleppo"

Sorry I am not ready to make nice.

Nov 14, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x you got your tinfoil hat on right now? Maybe give some *architecture* conspiracy lunacy to at least keep it relevant?

Yeah, I'm not only not ready to be nice, I'm totally done with it.

Nov 14, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

For a representative democracy to work it requires the active participation of good faith players with opposing views that work within the system to effect change.

By good faith I mean someone who respects and keeps the foundational principals of democracy.

Appointing an alt-right chief strategist is a very clear signal this is not the case in the incoming administration.

In my view the AIA should tell them to piss up a rope. 

Nov 14, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

Oh come, it's simple: old white boys clubs cave to anything they perceive as more powerful than them.  The AIA boys club is basically scared shitless of Rathead, who will spend 90% of his time in the White House retaliating against perceived enemies (Nixon anyone?)

Nov 14, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

I'm just bummed that Gwen Ifill just died, I liked her.

Nov 14, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The AIA should be scared of him based on how he was as a developer and the value of the work architects do.  Now imagine how much he'll (or should I say those he appoints who share his vision) value architects in the infrastructure projects...  

And the AIA envisioning schools and hospitals?  I'm thinking (hoping) "infrastructure" means bridges, highways, interstates, bridge repairs, pipelines, canals, utilities, power plants & distribution, etc.  Think Flint water and decaying bridges / dams, canals, flood control, etc.  

Nov 14, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: