Archinect
anchor

Transferring from Architectural Technology to Architecture

phaseshift

Hello,

I am a student in a 2 year AT diploma at a Canadian Technical college, and am at a crossroads in my academic life. I'm done my second semester, but am becoming concerned that I may have made a poor choice in not applying to an undergrad program. I've come to realize that while the technical skills I'm learning are going to be useful in this career path, I most likely won't get to design anything significant (if at all), and am not feeling challenged by my program. I have a 4.0 GPA, and am thinking of Ryerson as my top choice to transfer into after graduating, but need some advice as to whether this is the right choice for me, or if my concerns are justified.

Some background information: I've wanted to be an architect for a long time. I went into my program directly from high school in 2016, after being recommended to my college by a design studies teacher. My high school marks were what I'd consider good (A's & B's, 155 credits, plenty of extracurriculars & the french AP exam), and gave me quite a well rounded education. My marks weren't high enough to be competitive in applying to somewhere like Waterloo, and I really wish I worked just a bit harder, but there's no sense in asking what-ifs. In my senior year, life events distracted me from the application process, and I was therefore relatively uninformed about university programs. I knew AT would be highly technical and that most universities had a theory-based approach, but now feel that I might've shoehorned myself into the wrong school for my goals.

I am now much more informed on admissions & know the steps I have to take to become a registered architect, and think a bachelor's degree in architecture would be the path for me even if I don't take a master's program & write the registration exam. So, my questions are:

-Does my Architectural Technology GPA boost my chances of acceptance, considering that my marks in the required high school classes were in the mid/upper 70s?

-Is an architectural technology background respected in academic circles? I know Ryerson's program is fairly technical, but would I be better served by going to a more theory-based school with my technical diploma behind me?

-Any other concerns that I should take into consideration? I know University will be much more challenging & am working on my portfolio, but am I missing something?

-I'm not expecting much luck in transferring credits (Ryerson takes an AT diploma as 2 generic credits), but am unsure if I'll have an edge over high school applicants.

Any information helps! I'm also thinking of U of T, McGill, or Laurentian as a backup (their program isn't pre-professional and is heavily focused towards northern Ontario, so it might limit my options for grad school & employment elsewhere)

May 14, 17 10:15 pm
natematt

Yeah, it sounds like you need to switch into a bachelor degree. You likely won't get far in this profession with a two year degree.

May 15, 17 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Your ceiling is pretty obvious with only a AT diploma. Make the switch to a arch bachelor as soon as you can.

Build your portfolio with a healthy mix of conceptual design, progress sketches and a hint of technical work. The main error most AT applicants do is turn over their college homework as portfolio work. This never passes the admin review... it might for UofT, but that's because it's not really an architecture school.

Don't worry about grade so much, as long as you make the cut off. Focus on a portfolio. Just keep in mind that in order to wright the exams and record intern hours towards licensing, you require a Masters degree.
May 15, 17 6:17 am  · 
2  · 
zeushimself

I am in sort of the same situation as you in that I have graduated from a 3 year architectural technology program with a 4.0 GPA. You might be interested in looking into U of Manitoba's Bachelor of Environmental program, Dalhousie's Environmental Design program, and UBC has plans to introduce a 4-year Bachelor of Design degree starting in 2018. Laurentian's undergraduate program is considered a pre-professional degree, their Master's degree is just not accredited yet. That being said, in OAA's 2016 annual report, they noted that Laurentian has a very high chance of being accredited at the end of their 6 year period.

I got accepted to a couple undergrad architecture programs but don't want to do another 4 years for just an undergrad so I may attend OCAD's environmental design program for 3 years to finish or just complete a year there then try to transfer into Dalhousie's 3rd year entry program.

Another option is to use your 2 year diploma and transfer into a 4 year degree in something architecture related that isn't a recognized pre-professional degree. Two of the best options would be algonquin's Bachelor of Building Science degree, or Conestoga's Bachelor of Applied Technology in Architectural Project and Facility Management. Of course this route isn't as appealing but is always something to consider I guess.

If you have lots of money to throw around you can transfer into a Bachelor of Science in Architecture program in the states and probably finish in 2-2.5 years. Or another country, I received acceptances to schools in Ireland, UK, and Australia, all programs that I can complete in 2 years for an accredited undergraduate degree. Again, this is a lot more expensive but just another option.

May 15, 17 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
phaseshift

Thanks for all the advice! Another option I'm considering is BCIT's Bachelor of Architectural Science, they allow students into 3rd year if they have an equivalent diploma to theirs in AT. An instructor of mine said only 1 student from my school ever got into 3rd year there, so I'm not gonna count on it, but it could be worth a try.

I also have the option of transferring directly into a degree in Denmark, which is more expensive but not as insane as american tuition. It's a direct pathway in as long as my GPA stays up, but once I add in living costs it could be a tight squeeze.

May 16, 17 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Yeah I talked to the program coordinators at BCIT and they highly advised against applying because like you said, they only accept 1 student which is insanely difficult. You could apply for advanced standing in their 2 year program that eventually leads into the bachelor program but that's sort of risky if you are not accepted.

May 17, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
jwsd

Which school in Denmark?

Aug 24, 19 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
yuepengvang

I would want to study Architectural Techonoligst so I can start working after graduation, and then pursue Architecture and then a M.Arch. Would this work? And if so, how would I do this? I live In Saint Paul, Minnesota and am researching which colleges are best for this path.

Apr 24, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
proximity

Highly doubtful that any courses in an architectural technology program will make an meaningful dent into credits for a bachelors degree. Find out what school(s) you might want to go to, find out what transfers, and only take those courses. You also won't be able to work very much during school. Your best bet may be to take generals at a cheaper place and transfer after a year our two depending on the programs you want your bachelors degree in.

Apr 25, 19 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
yuepengvang

Thanks for answering, it helps me a lot! I'll take your answers into consideration.

Apr 25, 19 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
CodesareFUN

They don’t. I did this route - only my gen ed credits transferred.

Jun 13, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Don’t really know if they are a thing, but one of my local community colleges is apparently part of a 2+2+2 program where one gets an Associates, Bachelors and Masters. Each degree is at a different school but if they exist elsewhere could be an option. I have B. Arch and if I did it again I think I would have considered going to a community college for a year and cramming in a bunch of core classes. Where I was the community colleges were part of the university system so core classes transferred between all schools in the system.

Apr 25, 19 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
rachelyamada

Im working now in building  materials , back to school this fall 2019 and I'm taking architecture technology , just wanna know if it will help me to build my career? 

Aug 24, 19 12:03 am  · 
 · 
moeahmed

Guys i just want to know what is the difference between being an arch technologist and an architectural 

Dec 3, 19 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One wears a cape, the other dances in bars for money on Tuesday nights.

Dec 3, 19 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Oddly specific, but okay :D

Dec 5, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
moeahmed

probably the technologist the one who’s dancing

Dec 5, 19 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
moeahmed

:D

Dec 5, 19 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

perhaps, but only if they can be bothered to the read the above discussion before asking a question.

Dec 5, 19 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
dlee1995

Following this tread post with a similar situation I have. 

I am a George Brown College AT graduate with a GPA of 3.3. I have tried to apply to Ryerson university for 2 years, in hopes of staying close home for my parents to support me. As a result, nothing is achieved with Ryerson's Architectural Science complicated requirements. This year, I have applied for BCIT's Architecture Science Degree. As I am waitlisted, I am trying to hang on and find another alternative to either..

Find a decent private or public architecture university in the US or Canada (preferably close to the city) that I am eligible to transfer my AT college credits. 

Or find a Architecture related job. I don't even know if I can find one since I have a small gap that I had not worked in the construction industry. On the bright side, I do have some working experience working as a BIM Modeler for 6 months at a Electrical Engineering Firm in 2017- 2018. 

Jun 13, 20 2:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, your question comes up often and it's typically always the same conversation. As I'm sure you know, the path to an architect's license in Canada starts with an accredited Master's degree (M.arch) and to apply to these, you thus need a bacherlor's of some sort (which will determine if your M.arch is a 2y or 3y degree). The unfortunate thing is most Arch-Tech programs are college level diplomas and these are not enough for admittance to university master degrees. I am not aware of any B.A.S school that allows transfers from Arch-Tech but perhaps that's changed. If RYU allows some transfers, then why is the process so complicated? If I had to wager, I'd say it's because your portfolio is a collection of your college assignment (CAD and BIM drawings). If seen this so many times and they always get rejected because this is not what an architecture entry portfolio aims to be.

Jun 14, 20 8:18 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

In your case, you could look into the RAIC syllabus program. It is an alternative path to becoming an architect in Canada that does not require formal university degrees. You should be able to complete this while still living in the GTA and work full-time. (https://raic-syllabus.ca/) 

For what it's worth, I've never ever heard of BCIT... but I know it's not an accredited M.Arch. It's likely another low-tier arch studies / glorified arch-tech school.

Jun 14, 20 8:25 am  · 
 · 
myahjackson

Hi everyone, I am also in the same position now.

I studied AT with an advanced diploma at a Canadian college and was able to fast track into engineering tech at a university to receive a degree. When doing AT, I was enrolled into the design stream so we focused less on the technical side and more on conceptualizing and sustainable building. I want to stay in that route but I feel I will have to continue school by getting my M. Arch and try to get an architect license at some point. Or is it possible for someone with an AT diploma to still be able to stay more design focused? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Sep 16, 20 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

AT grads are predominately used as production staff. Good ones take on QC or Spec roles but few stay in design roles. Don’t know what you’re chasing here but know that you can’t get a license with just a AT diploma.

Sep 16, 20 5:53 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Could try working for a really small firm (ie. 2-3 people) where you'll wear multiple hats on small projects, but otherwise like NS said.

Sep 16, 20 11:42 pm  · 
1  · 
myahjackson

Thanks for both of your advice! Definitely things I'll be taking into consideration. I figured I may not be able to get into the area I want with just a AT diploma. I just completed a B. in Eng. Tech and just wondering if/how I'd be able to get into M. Arch and which schools might allow that in Canada?

And that's understandable, I would preferably like to work for a smaller firm but still have to get a portfolio together. I only have school work so do any of you have advice on what employers don't want to see in a portfolio? So that I don't include it

Sep 17, 20 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know what a B.eng is... is it a 4y university bachelor degree? If so, then most accredited M.arch programs are available to you but you'll need to complete a full 3 year masters. As for portfolio content, avoid all the template stuff everyone and their grandmother uses. You the ones: profile picture, stupid software competence graph, quotes by famous architects... that kind of jive. Focus instead on showing the progression of your design ideas. People know you don't know much about working in an office or putting buildings together but they do want to see how you think and solve problems.

Sep 18, 20 12:03 am  · 
 · 
myahjackson

Bachelor of Engineering Tech is a program i was able to take in 3 semesters as a continuation of my advanced diploma to receive a degree. So from what you're saying, i may not have the option for M. Arch since it was not 4 years. And so for a portfolio, the idea is to focus more on showcasing thinking process rather than compiling every piece of work I've done into one document lol. I can understand that, thanks for the clarification!

Sep 19, 20 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
IrmaT.

Hi everyone,

I’m an international highschool student looking for some advice for studying in Canada.

I want to study Architecture, however Im not sure if the first step will be to study Architectural Tech and then make the change to Architecture as one school counselor suggested.   Is this correct?

Also, any suggestions regarding University options for foreign students.   I’m just validating since I don't want to make a poor choice that will end in a waste of years and economical resources (Student loan).

Thanks for your comments!

Oct 6, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

For many, Arch tech is a consolation prize. For others, it's the best post-secondary option when they can't make the cut for a bachelor degree. If you have the portfolio material and grades, you should apply to a BAS program in any of the 10 (or is it 11) architecture schools in canada. None of these are accredited degrees (B.arch no longer exists here) but they will allow you to apply to a M.arch. Arch tech is college level studies aimed to pump cheap drafting staff in a very full and saturated market and does not lead one to becoming an architect... or even study architecture.

top 10 arch undergrad schools in canada are:

1. Waterloo
  2. McGill
  3. the rest
  4. see point 3 above
  5. UofT
Oct 6, 20 10:44 am  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

Some observations re:Architect vs. Architectural Technologists.

All the years I have worked, I've never seen a your architect graduate get to design something straight out of school. Sometimes it takes them as much as five years before they could call something their own baby. At best, for the first five years or so, they end up being a pencil pusher or cad monkey for a designer who has the experience or the seniority.

Architectural Technologists are well suited to be a team member for CD preparation.That's what their education is all  about. They know a 2x4 when they see one,  whereas some architects do not. They can put a package of drawings together for permit, tender and construction. Many architects cannot, because their training is not in that field, until they get a whole lot more experience.

Not that anybody is doing it, but I would not belittle either profession - both serve a very useful purpose.

Oct 7, 20 3:47 pm  · 
4  · 
sarih9

Hello

I am an International student who wants to study architecture in Canada, but university for foreign students is really expensive, even if I had a scholarship or loan it is still expensive, so i have the option to study a 2-year program of A.T in a College (which is cheaper) and then work 1 year, but i think i can’t become an architect with this situation, or there’s some chance to be in more desing side or some advice?

Jan 6, 21 12:55 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

All of your questions are answered above. Earning an AT degree, while valuable, does not allow you to become an architect (in Canada) in any way.

Jan 6, 21 1:55 am  · 
1  · 
alinaghale

I already have a bachelors degree in computer science. But now I am looking forward to shifting the career trajectory to Architecture. I am looking for a 2 years pre-professional degree in Architecture. What are my possible options apart from the Environmental Design program at Dalhousie University and University of Manitoba?

Sep 22, 22 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Likely those two, but most accredited schools have an undergrad program you could feasibly enter. You could also just go for 1 year pre-master's then do two years in an M.Arch for a professional degree...

Sep 22, 22 5:50 pm  · 
1  · 
alinaghale

Thank you. Any pre-master's program you could recommend?

Sep 24, 22 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Manitoba's pre-master program is two years. I can't remember Dalhousie's details but it might be slightly less, like 1.5 years. Dalhousie used to have an advantage with their co-op program, but MB instituted one about five years ago and it's been successful. Either way, you get your professional (M.Arch) degree and after that nobody cares all that much about where you went to school.

Sep 24, 22 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
alinaghale

Thank you for the details :)

Sep 24, 22 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
ngelahigma

Hello,

I have a bachelors in electrical engineering and  intend to study a diploma program in architectural technology so that I can later pursue a masters in architecture. I would like to know if this is possible .If not what pathways  can be recommended for me to have a masters in architecture without going back for a bachelors in architecture. 

Aug 29, 23 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I recommend you read the entire discussion above.

Aug 29, 23 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Prab

Hello, 

So I have recently graduated in architectural technology advanced diploma from Durham College. Just wondering can I get into an  architecture university in Ontario. But, in high school I took college level courses in grade 12. Can I still get into a university???

Nov 18, 23 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What schools have you applied to and what were the pre requisite for admissions?

Nov 19, 23 9:22 am  · 
 · 
caledc's comment has been hidden
caledc

hello

I'm currently in high school, and because I didn't care about course selection and didn't have any plans for the future, most of my 9th and 10th grade classes were useless (workplace, ESL and open). Luckily. It was during the last semester of 10th grade that I sobered up. I told my resource teacher that I wanted to be an architect and planned classes for 9th and 10th graders in 11th grade and 11th and 12th grade courses in 12th grade (Fortunately in misfortune), and I am currently studying in the second semester of eleventh grade. My resource teacher suggested that I study the Architectural Technology course at Georgian College after graduation.

I have questions to ask everyone

Can I become an architect?

Can a socially awkward person become an architect?

If I can be an architect then how?

Is it only possible to become an architect in University?

Alternatives to Architects

Give me future advice

Feb 26, 24 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
  1. Can I become an architect?
    1. Yes, eventually.  The path is long and can be complicated
  2. Can a socially awkward person become an architect?
    1. Yes but the practice of architecture requires collaboration with fellow staff and consultants plus interaction with clients and authorities.   
  3. If I can be an architect then how?
    1. Get an accredited Master degree, complete the intern arch (IDP) program, collect the minimum experience hours, write the exams.  No short cuts.
  4. Is it only possible to become an architect in University?
    1. Assuming Canadian because of the Georgian Tech comment so if that is correct then you have 2 options to get to architect status.  Option one is to complete an accredited masters degree (undergrad + graduate degrees). Option 2 is through the RAIC syllabus program.  It's long that traditional university route but it allows those who cannot/will not attend university to study architecture and eventually become eligible to write the exams.
  5. Alternatives to Architects

1. Since you're likely in Ontario give the college suggestion, I recommend you take a serious look at the arch tech college level degrees and the BCIN option for building designer.

Before going further, how much do you know about the practice of architecture?  Why do you feel drawn to this especially when you don't know the very basics of the profession?  Take 10mins and search the forum and you'll find loads of info.

Feb 26, 24 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: