Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

awaiting_deletion

no one does Josh. I am suprised EI even read his incoherent psychotic misinformed ramblings....brick

Aug 11, 16 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

"I am suprised EI even read his incoherent psychotic misinformed ramblings"

"read" comes off a little strong here in this context. Reading something implies a certain level of understanding/comprehension. "Looked at with my eyes briefly while scrolling" might be a better phrase to use.

Aug 11, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha, nice EI. thats all it takes to find an error in Rickys posts.

Aug 11, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

or you a genius and ricky not so much

Aug 11, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Have you ever laid a brick outside of a toilet? Excellent phrase, Josh! I'm going to try to work it into a conversation with coworkers sometime soon!

Aug 11, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Josh, stop working so many hours, you're stressing me out bruh!

Aug 11, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

damn josh you've got me beat by a couple hours. you win at losing!

Aug 11, 16 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

It's the curse of the competent.  I've been doing 60 hrs a week during the last week due to having 4 very active projects at one time. And with a pricing and permit set due in the next couple weeks for my largest one, I'm looking at 80-100 hr weeks the next two weeks.

Thank God, Jesus, Allah, Spaghetti Monster, whoever that I get paid overtime. This is all going to my Norway/Iceland trip. September 19 can't come soon enough.

I'm still at the office. When everyone else is gone is actually a good time to work on specs.

Aug 11, 16 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
60? Josh, you slacking again?

There is part of me relishing the idea of the death of the GOP, at least for President, but at the same time, I firmly believe that what will make Progressive ideas better, is a robust debate.

I predicted the only way for the Republican Party to save itself, was to run someone outside the primary system, lose the Presidency and save the party, this was late last year, they're now only getting around to this realization.

Teapublicans.
Aug 11, 16 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Oh I meant to say 60 hour weeks for the last month. My brain is frying.

I just got home. It's a damn good thing u don't have a girlfriend, she'd be pissed off.
Aug 12, 16 1:54 am  · 
 · 
I. Damnit, I'm going to bed.
Aug 12, 16 1:54 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if your girl likes to go out dancing, working late is a good thing. you roll into the club at midnight, wave at her and she leaves the 4 guys trying to hit on her who could not figure out that she was only there to dance.

Aug 12, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

beta you did predict this implosion and Rachel Maddow guessed maybe Trump had no real intentions on winning (months ago) which lends itself to the conspiracy theory - the goal was to guarantee a Clinton presidency........The Republican party is really a catch all fro non-progessives (mainly socially and ethically) and the Democratic party has been a catch-all for the "progressives". Not sure why we need the government involving themselves in our moral and ethical lives but apparently thats what most people think politicians should be voted into office for......maybe out of this crap a 3 or 4 party down ballot action will take hold and the Republicans will splinter off into well defined anti-progressives (morally) - Tea Party, Conservatives, Mormon Party, etc ....

Aug 12, 16 8:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

So, the unemployed know-it-all baby adult doesn't know his units? Maybe he is indeed a cartoon living in a two dimensional world.

Aug 12, 16 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Olaf, it usually doesn't even take that. One can usually just randomly put their finger on the screen in one of Ricky's posts and find an error. For example ...

"Before fired clay brick, there was mud bricks."

• Errors: cumulative adjective use instead of compound adjective, subject verb agreement (Balkins' usual error), and consistency of noun plurality within the statement.
  • Corrected statement: Before fired-clay brick, there was mud brick.
Aug 12, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

^ my post above should be the argument for the value of a comprehensive university education versus taking various courses here and there accumulating credit hours.

Aug 12, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Re: mud and fired clay ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE. Sorry no bricks.  

Aug 12, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

EI, that just really proves how much a man can exist as Spam.  Richard is real life SPAM!

so i've apparently been making a political statement accidentally with my casual wear t-shirt for the last few days, you know grab it out the drawer and go grocery shopping at 10pm after long day of work and then wear it to the gym.  obviously after the gym it goes in the laundry  - I swear.

Napoleon Dynamite - Vote for Pedro (the looks I've been getting and then I look down and do, oh!)

This by far was better than when I wore the Macedonian t-shirt my parents gave me a while back, that was worn once and after multiple death stares and the possiblitiy of angry Albanians I asked my parents, what the hell? 

Aug 13, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
I haven't heard this song in years, but when you mentioned "SPAM!" this is all I could think about. http://youtu.be/MzVGFGUzNms
Aug 13, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 
But you can't buy a fake architect license?
Aug 13, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

LOL Josh.

Aug 13, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

LOL.... does he have a real inmate suit that he is wearing?

Aug 13, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
He could have been of service to you, Balkins. You could have gotten a forged degree and license.

You still wouldn't be an architect.
Aug 13, 16 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

but we flagged it and killed it.  Josh my wife is out dancing.  I could work late or drink.

There are plenty of latin or latin part women for guys like us that do 60 hours by Thursday. Hint Hint.

Aug 13, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
And I ordered delivery and laid on the couch watching wrestling when I got home tonight.

Clearly, I'm doing it wrong, especially when my ex is constantly posting pictures about how her new man makes her happy and I'm a single workaholic that doesn't have the energy to go out.
Aug 13, 16 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

oh fuck her Josh...which you probably did....you just need the right girl who understands the balance!

look, my wife is out with my recently divorced/seperated neighbor.  that fuckhead drove a Masseratti towards the end... talk about mid-life crisis...anyway my wife made some statement to the extent-  I need a dress to air it out - it's hot. my favourite spot.

some girls want to live and dance and come home to a solid man drinking and being all nerded-up.  Trust me.  Josh go Latin bruh.

Aug 14, 16 12:04 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I haven't been on in here in a million years.  Probably none of you even know who I am, haha.  Except Donna and vado and Steven Ward, and maybe a few others if they remember back to my previous name from 10 years ago.

Anyway, Josh you work at one of my fave firms in this town so I'm sad to hear you're stretched so thin.  I thought that only happened in my little corner of this biz.  Somehow I imagined your firm as all rainbows and unicorns...

It's totally gangbusters in Chicago right now though so anyone who's lookin', come on down!  Especially if you have like 5 years experience -- we can't seem to find anyone in that target range nowadays... think it has to do with the Great Recession?  Did a ton of kids drop out of the arch programs in that time or something?

Aug 14, 16 12:18 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I'm working 50 hour weeks (no overtime) with a kid I'm ignoring at home, plus I have 3 side projects on a wait list and 1 I had to turn down.  I feel like I'm drowning half the time.

Aug 14, 16 12:19 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you sound familiar, been here since like 2002 ish.. I'm old

we have this medication rolling for us

I want you overworking architects to relax.

Aug 14, 16 12:27 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and DON'T FUCKING IGNORE YOUR KID!

Aug 14, 16 12:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I'm doing side work, so I can feel like an architect.
Aug 14, 16 12:28 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

can you feel me on the CD side, bruh?

but god damnit

DON'T FUCKING IGNORE YOUR KID!

Aug 14, 16 12:36 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ha!  I don't really have a choice, my workload is spiralling out of control!  Don't worry, kid gets plenty of attention.  I basically don't sleep

Aug 14, 16 12:40 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Nam did you move to Denver?!?!?!!

Aug 14, 16 12:42 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

send it my way bro, we will take care of you.

your kids are all that ever matter ever.

I want you to sleep and love your children.  Occasionally I'm serious. That would be it.

Aug 14, 16 12:42 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

my crew is like blocks from Nam...we have an archinect crew rolling here brow.

you love architecture - I love you ! :)

Aug 14, 16 12:43 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ha.  I wish I could.  I need someone to crank out some seriously complex wall sections for me.  For a crazy ass renovation project where the scope creep just doesn't end, and we're supposed to be in for permit already.  Stress city.  None of our junior folks can really handle this level of assistance.  I can basically hand off very specific redlines (and who has time to redline?!) or ask for things like "adjust this model to match the current plan".  That's about the limit.  One of these young'uns (with 3 years experience and nearly done with exams too) recently did a light & vent schedule for me, and I flipped through it (looked fine enough) then 2 weeks later as I was doing final prep for permit submission I happened to double-check some window-related item and suddenly realized that ONE OF OUR ROOMS FAILED LIGHT/VENT MISERABLY.  As in, we would have had to double the number of windows.  This kid did the damn light/vent sched and NEVER SAID ANYTHING about this room failing.  And there's only like 10 rooms in the project, it's not like it got lost in the shuffle.

I wasted half a day trying to figure out how to make that room compliant before I had to give up and label it Storage (no possible way to get another window in there).  So now we have a Storage room with a closet and an ensuite bath.  Let's hope the permit folks don't put their glasses on...  Ugh.

Aug 14, 16 12:48 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

And I don't even think that kid realized the enormity of his mistake.  Not only did I lose time trying to fix the issue but I have to get the consultants to re-issue their plans with the new room label, and they have already submitted their stamped plans.  It's so irritating.  No apology, just "oh yeah, looks like that room fails.  You're right"  Where is your pride, man?!  Don't you care about the work you do?  Take ownership!  Argh.

Aug 14, 16 12:51 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

brah I met the dream team here!

Tinnt, speak-up!?! Nam's hood....

Let this kid know, serious professionals being talking real shite!

Waiting for the Doomsday

happy music on a Sunday morning  ;)

Aug 14, 16 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Hello, mantaray!

Ugh... I need to start brining in some side projects if I'm ever going to buy a condo here.

Aug 14, 16 1:31 am  · 
 · 

He could have been of service to you, Balkins. You could have gotten a forged degree and license.

You still wouldn't be an architect.

Josh Mings,

LOL! I don't need a license to be an architect. (depends on the location where the designed building is intended to be built)

I wouldn't need a forged degree or a bullshit piece of paper with a number on it.

Aug 14, 16 1:48 am  · 
 · 

I haven't been on in here in a million years.  Probably none of you even know who I am, haha.  Except Donna and vado and Steven Ward, and maybe a few others if they remember back to my previous name from 10 years ago.

Anyway, Josh you work at one of my fave firms in this town so I'm sad to hear you're stretched so thin.  I thought that only happened in my little corner of this biz.  Somehow I imagined your firm as all rainbows and unicorns...

It's totally gangbusters in Chicago right now though so anyone who's lookin', come on down!  Especially if you have like 5 years experience -- we can't seem to find anyone in that target range nowadays... think it has to do with the Great Recession?  Did a ton of kids drop out of the arch programs in that time or something?

Mantaray,

Records shows around 1 year and 8 months ago.... Dec. 6, 2014 was the last comment from you until today.

Aug 14, 16 1:58 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Well, ain't that a useful piece of information.

hi, David Cole! You probably don't want to know my real estate sitch since we last met. Sorry man... There's a downside to leaving the great Chicago! 

Seriously though, I hope all is well. You've always been one of my faves on here.

Aug 14, 16 4:07 am  · 
 · 

Very kind of you to say so. I haven't regretted leaving Chicago for a second, but I've made some questionable life choices since then... Luckily I've been in Seattle since April and so far it's going well. I'm hoping to sink some roots out here. Where are you these days?

Aug 14, 16 4:33 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Oh I thought you were in NYC! I love Seattle. Great choice!! If I didn't live here I'd live there, hands down. 

I'm good! Living the dream :-) aforementioned kid and all. Recently I've been thinking a lot about how, long hours and terrible GCs aside, this profession of ours is just so fun. I love working as an architect all day. I love the puzzle of it, the difficulty of it, the variety of it, the satisfaction of seeing nice things built and clients made happy. Still, even after all this time, and even tired and fairly stressed out, I can still utterly lose myself in puzzling out a detail, in total contentment. That's a pretty good thing, right? 

Aug 14, 16 4:47 am  · 
 · 
Man I get cranky when I'm tired.

Thanks for the kind words on the firm Mantaray. The good part about the amount of hours I'm doing right now is that it doesn't go unnoticed by the firm. I get paid overtime, and they've even thrown in an extra PTO day here and there too. Unfortunately, it is a curse of the competent because they trust me to do a great job.

But the end is in sight. Two more days and it's back to 45 hrs a week, which is balanced for me in my single situation.

And I wouldn't be doing the OT if I didn't believe in the firm's mission. I grew up in Section 8 housing and poor, so I know what the people I'm designing for have gone through (outside of the gang violence, don't get that in small town Indiana) - and I grew up in Columbus, IN so I know the value in good design being for everyone. It inspired me to become an architect, and hopefully what I do can pass that down the line as well.

Back into the office (for only a few hours, we are getting close). The thing keeping me going is the constant thought of all the extra money going to my Norway and Iceland trip next month. Two solid weeks without emails will equal heaven.
Aug 14, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Also Rick, that bullshit piece of paper shows that I am capable of looking out for the health, safety, and welfare of the public. You're only capable of not following codes.
Aug 14, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 

mantaray it's so nice to see you!  I, too, feel like I'm drowning lately.

Aug 14, 16 10:45 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

That's really sweet to hear, Josh. Your motivation, I mean. The work you're doing is literally architecture's highest calling. Maybe it's a good thing that you have too much of it ;-) 

I've only worked at one firm that paid me hourly (no actual OT wage, but at least straight time for all hours worked) and the difference in my job satisfaction level was insane. Also, strangely, I'm certain I actually worked more efficiently--in a weird twist of psychology, it seems the less resentful you are about having to work long hours, the more quickly you work!

Aug 14, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hi Donna!! I hope all is well. I keep feeling like a trip to IND is in my future.

Aug 14, 16 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: