Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

maybe it's different for chapelle because he isn't actually a clansman?

i also don't get the joke, so i was thinking of assumptions that might fill in whatever 'in-joke' type thing i'm missing.  i'm torn between the possibility that it was supposed to be a cat eating cheerios but there was a typo in the link, or this is a picture carerra took back in the good old days when real estate speculation was more profitable.

Jan 18, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Careers, Carrera - sorry, Iphone corrected me incorrectly.

LouisCK is so freaking wonderful. I'm really enjoying stand up humor right now. We've been to the local comedy club many times recently and I adore the efficiency of how they move the crowds in and out there. It's also fun, if sometimes painful, to watch young comics get their chops in front of a live audience. Plus part of the two-drink-minimum can be a milkshake, so my husband loves that! I stick to bourbon.

Tig Notaro would be my dream show. Her stand up about all the horrible, awful things that happened to her in a very brief part of her life - starting with the opening line "Hello! Good to see you! How are you all tonight! I have cancer!" is pure human brilliance and connection. And now she just announced after all of that she's having twins! Life is unpredictable.

Jan 18, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sorry, forgot Donna's prerequisite smiley faces

Jan 18, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"Careers" is not a bad nickname, phonetically.

Jan 18, 16 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I thought the `meeting` was funny...

Jan 18, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curtrkam you never seen one of the best sketches of all time

Clayton Bigsby: The Black White Supremacist Part 2 | Chappelle's Show

Jan 18, 16 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Carrera, sorry you can't make it. Have fun at your meeting. 

Jan 18, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I think that people that work are wound too tight.

Jan 18, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

When you retire you do forget what day it is, my apologies if offended by the photograph, didn't realize until just now.

Jan 19, 16 1:33 am  · 
 · 
Honestly I just wasn't sure I got the joke, Carrera. No worries. Here's a joke that might be in poor taste:

Good morning, time to check Facebook and see what celebrities have died today!

Ugh. So many lately.
Jan 19, 16 6:54 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Glenn Frey!

Jan 19, 16 7:15 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm not offended, I just don't see what that's funny.

Jan 19, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

@tintt, Nam, Mightyaa,

of course it takes me moving away from Denver to learn there are archinectors in town!

I'm going to message you next time I'm back there. Lots of jobs in Denver right now. Tempting to move back.

Glenn Frey! I had a legitimate 2-3 days of mourning Bowie, but today I just ordered a tequila at lunch and I'm pretty right with his passing. But could have been the lunchtime tequila shot too.

Jan 19, 16 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would move back if I were you archanonymous! Chicago sounds cold and cloudy.

Asking again if anyone knows if the Open Architecture Network designs from Cameron Sinclair can still be accessed anywhere on the web??? 

Jan 20, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

WTF is up with the Civil Engineering thread? That had the potential to be a classic until the trolls and morons took over. The people bashing Balkins are now worse than he is.

Jan 20, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i guess if he and others like him (sahas) have some type of condition we should feel bad, otherwise they kind of get what they ask for - the feedback is what they putting out there.

Jan 20, 16 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the world isnt ready for bots yet

Jan 20, 16 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt, maybe what you want is here?

I can't tell you how much R.Balkins trashing every thread prevents me from checking archinect. The last time he stayed out of a substantial thread, it was a fantastic discussion. Not all his fault as people should just not engage, but it would be nice if it just didn't happen at all.

Jan 20, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

http://www.weforum.org/reports/the-future-of-jobs

Rejoice! Finally a reputable study saying that greener pastures are ahead for architects...

Jan 20, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, mous, thank you!!!!

Jan 20, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

^^ The World Economic Forum, where billionaires land 1700 private jets in Geneva for a party weekend. Of course their forecast is rosy, they are so far removed from any sense of reality they might as well be on a different planet.

Story I heard from the last one: a woman was shopping $60m Manhattan apartment on her iPhone while waiting for an enlightenment seminar given by a Buddhist Monk to begin.

Jan 20, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Lemmy

Bowie

Glen

now this...I can't take it anymore!

ANIMALLLL!!!!!!

Jan 21, 16 12:17 am  · 
 · 

WTF is up with the Civil Engineering thread? That had the potential to be a classic until the trolls and morons took over. The people bashing Balkins are now worse than he is.

Miles, yeah.

Jan 21, 16 2:30 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The ability to try and improve my range of skills is getting harder and harder every day, week and month that passes by. Hobbies are becoming jobs and jobs are becoming a daily chore...Being an adult with responsibilities is difficult.

Welp.

Jan 21, 16 4:21 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

drink beer, a hobby that never becomes a chore.

Jan 21, 16 6:37 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Yeah... I need to go get my growler filled before the snow hits.  You can never be too prepared. 

Jan 21, 16 8:11 am  · 
 · 
jfk2396

Where is Ricky Gervais to explain jokes and taking offence when you need him!

Jan 21, 16 8:13 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

how did john green get to davos?  press pass?  don't you need an invitation?

Jan 21, 16 11:59 am  · 
 · 

I think he was invited because of his Crash Course series, I'd guess. He's also pals with Bill Gates, so maybe that's how.

Jan 21, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Markets cannot see what’s in the best interest of people, much less what’s in the best interest of markets.

Too bad it's just a feel good for billionaires, who nod in agreement and think about how humanitarian they are before going back to work on doubling their already vast fortunes.

Green is a smart guy. He did a piece on what's wrong with health care a few years ago that pointed to pretty much every aspect of the system.

Jan 21, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Jawbone Flats in the Oregon Cascades today. I passed through here back in September when it was much warmer, after a three-mile hike through some of the most beautiful old-growth forest you could imagine.

I wish I was back there now, with a bottle of brandy and some good books in front of a wood-burning fireplace.

(photo: Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center via Facebook)

Jan 22, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

do you drink the books first and then read the brandy?

Jan 22, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

I've got a mom's weekend coming up: five moms, no kids, in a cabin in the woods in Kentucky. Hoping for a scene similar to what you posted, David! Hiking, cooking, and lots of drinking. And no bras!

Jan 22, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

^ I read the the last sentence first and it sounded heavenly. Then I read the first sentence and the bubble burst.

Jan 22, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I spent the day in the woods  looking for  reserve septic fields. Actually I spent yesterday and today.  We finished yesterday using the head lights of our cars, because the guy operating the back hoe couldn't find his light switch on the machine.  Said  I always try to be done before dark.  Actually ended up with three good systems and one in question. So were off to the races.

Jan 22, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone here take the CA CES?

Jan 25, 16 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

^ Do you mean the California Supplemental Exam?

Jan 26, 16 2:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes. 

Jan 26, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 

Oh dear, you guys. That new DSR project in Berkeley is really, really bad.  I mean, I'm still mad at DSR but I'm happy to say their little pavilion building here in Indy is excellent, because it is. But that BAMPFA beached whale turned tired robot, oh my.

Jan 26, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

ugh donna that is upsetting. I worked on a seating installation at the old BAMPFA, and forgiving the earthquake retrofitting, it was such a dynamic and varied exhibition space. The new BAMPFA seems to be a confluence of awkward forms, but I haven't been in the space yet.

Jan 26, 16 10:05 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Kind of looks like someone dropped a wet wash cloth on a matteboard model. 

Jan 26, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

eats bull sheet

Jan 26, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 

I took the CSE.

Jan 26, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Recruiters are getting pretty shitty nowadays, today I was contacted about a role from the company I quit 3 months ago. Like c'mon have some decency and read my profile properly.

Jan 26, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
z1111, any thoughts, study suggestions?
Jan 26, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

I passed it on the first try, however, it took almost as long to study for it as it did for all of the sections of the ARE combined.

I would suggest: 

David Doucette's study guide

Pass x Flash Cards

The California Architects Board has very helpful resources as do all of the agency websites.

It will take some time to assemble the materials and prepare for it.

Jan 26, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

ivorykeyboard, was that Thom Faulder's orange seating installation?!

Jan 26, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Says something about the licensing process when “flash cards” are a prerequisite.

Jan 26, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

I just saw toe cleavage. In January in the Midwest. No.

Jan 27, 16 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: