Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Carrera

^ Good to work for an employer that has a $367 Million endowment…suppose they are just spreading the “love”.:)

Jan 8, 16 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

maybe Donna is a social media Ninja...like 58 minutes of work, 2minutes of social media, 500 words a minute?

Jan 8, 16 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Ha. Carrera, it's funny you raise the endowment, which is fairly high for an institution of our size BUT we get virtually NO public money to run it.  Like most cultural institutions, we are constantly looking for ways to remain super open and accessible to all levels of income in our community while simultaneously reducing operating expenses...meanwhile privately-owned professional sports team owners line up for the public funding fire hose dousing that they always, always get so they can better serve the wealthy luxury box owners that donate to election campaign funds.

What's that thing Miles always says? Cynicism is just reality? Yeah.

Jan 8, 16 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Just landed an interview with one of my top-choice firms in Seattle. Squee!

Jan 8, 16 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Completely unrelated to anything else.... Nothing like an actual construction project (basement finishing) to reveal giant gaps in knowledge. Also, I've spent the last week on concept design for a strip mall and today the client pointed out that it looks like a vw dealership. Didn't say it was bad, but they are pretty concerned about cost now

Jan 8, 16 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna…Just having fun… it is a big endowment, but so in the museum, too big to be free… society is upside down, people pay $60 plus to go see a concert and corps pay 17 Grand to rent a suite to watch a football game…museums need to get over it, there is so much more that needs to be done today… around here they make the public pay to get into a public zoo… the zoo is growing and the museum is not, something fundamentally wrong with that picture…. Sometimes I think museums get too comfortable under the blanket of endowments…. Sometimes getting hungry can be a good thing.

Jan 8, 16 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Congrats David!

Jan 8, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Jan 8, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

What attire would the peanut gallery recommend for a job interview in the Pacific Northwest? In NYC I'd normally default to a fairly conservative business suit, but even that seemed like overdressing sometimes. Unless you're a banker or lawyer, normal business attire in the PNW seems to consist of jeans and a flannel shirt.

Jan 9, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Depending on the weather, I've decided to go with tie\no jacket OR jacket\no tie.

Jan 9, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Seattle &Portland? Best to blend in up there. If a leadership position I would recommend a Mao Suite, red trim in Seattle, Portland not… if not leadership go with a soft gray wool pajama in both cities… if driving between the two I’d recommend taking along a cowboy hat and rent a pickup… spring for the extra rifle rack that way you’ll get there faster… have a safe trip… take a lot of pictures and don’t forget a fog filter for your camera… leave the UV filter home.

Jan 9, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Watch Portlandia for dress clues.

Jan 9, 16 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
We just watched Inside Out, the Pixar movie about emotions. My whole body hurts and my eyes are burning. The tears, the tears....so beautiful.
Jan 9, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I ain't lying Donna, that was a good movie.  they did some neurosciencing

Jan 9, 16 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, Olaf, they nueroscienced very well!

So I had my ass kicked hard by a drawing yesterday.  Husband needed me to do a shop drawing for a steel frame and I just really, really struggled with it. Fabrication is soooooo unforgiving, and whenever I work on true detail/shop drawings I realize how hard it is to make things go together precisely.

Which reminds me of a previous conversation my husband and I had: I wanted him to price a small project for me, and I kept asking things like "So what if this is aluminum, or what if we powder coat instead of paint, and what radius can this be bent to...." as I was trying to design it. He said to me "You design what you want and I'll figure out how to make it" to which I got kinda pissed and said "If I can't figure out how to make it I shouldn't be designing it!".

Maybe this is why I like masonry. Bricks just stack. Easy-peasy <sigh>

Jan 11, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 
tduds

David: 

Jan 11, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Woke up this morning to the news of David Bowie's death, so glad he was able to share his gift with us, it's a shame he had to go so soon.  His passing just a few days after releasing an album is fitting, from the content of the album it seems he knew the script and was just "waiting" for the end.

Jan 11, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, Brian doesn't need a shop drawing, he needs a design drawing with critical dimensions noted. 

Jan 11, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Well, Miles, for this he needed essentially a shop drawing, because it's his own project and he needs to communicate to his employees in the shop exactly what pieces of steel need to be ordered, cut, and welded together.  So it's not a shop drawing for a designer - like me - to review; it's for him - the designer - to give to his fabricators to build from.

It's a non-traditional arrangement in which I'm acting as draftsperson. Part of my compensation is 1. he makes dinner while I draw, 2. he doesn't fire me when I have temper tantrums over my CAD and SketchUp files not matching and 3. other compensation to remain unnamed per spousal privilege.

Jan 11, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x, what did you like about it?  They're talking Oscar quality, but is it anything more than another white man - a historical figure, this time - overcoming bitterly hard circumstances in nature?  I haven't seen it but the premise bores me to tears. 

(Edited to add: I do really like Leo and think he's a good actor. And Tom Hardy is nice eye candy.)

Jan 11, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

The Revenant was fucking fantastic!  Best movie I have seen in a long time

Can't wait to see it. 

Aside from overcoming nature and the bear attack- The account provided by Hugh Glass indicates he was intent on killing the men who left him for dead and deprived him of his ability to defend himself should he live.  These men included a teenage Jim Bridger.  Ultimately, he has the opportunity to avenge himself.  As Jim Bridger goes onto lead a significant life, Glass came to some sort of personal change.

Honestly the book was pretty dry.  One of those stories that likely benefits from some movie making (like Legends of the Fall).  I know the movie has added some elements (a son) and will likely provide a little more closure than the book.

Jan 11, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

I may have to see Revenant. It sounds pretty intense in a 'No Country for Old Men' way and I bet the setting is visually stunning. Was it filmed on location?

David Bowie's death has inspired me to download about $50 worth of new music from iTunes, including a few classic Bowie tracks that I didn't already have. Sometimes I get too comfortable with my familiar playlists and have to force myself to explore some new ground... Shame that it usually takes something like the death of David Bowie for me to do it.

Jan 11, 16 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

donna, it is more difficult do draw something that can actually be built. but it makes you a better architect. you need to think about much tighter dimensions and putting the lines exactly right. fasteners / joining methods become really important. you'll be a better person and architect because of it. I'll even buy you a drink. 

Jan 11, 16 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, I worked at a place very similar to where your husband is two jobs ago - we even built a Marc Fornes piece. I do really appreciate the level of experience I got with designing for fabrication and actually building things.

That said, now that I am in mainstream Architecture, I find wanting to get into that level of detail and precision maddening... at least here in Chicago none of the contractors look at it. You also run into the problem you just described - every shop has different preferences, different ways of doing things. One material might be easier or less expensive for a shop to work with or they might have an off-the books paint guy who paints for a fraction of the cost powdercoat would be... you just never know.

I really feel that the current model of design-bid-build is broken for just that reason. 

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is don't feel bad about it. You aren't a technical drafter and those skills would actually probably hinder you in the day-to-day practice of architecture.

Jan 11, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

IMHO - it does not make much sense for architects to get into that level of detail - for exactly the reason you say - each shop has their own ways of working - and if the arch draws something that's not standard for them, they'll charge more - either to re-think it, or to do it the way you show. Also, it's unlikely you'll completely understand their process, so will make errors. I've got a good background in steel detailing, but still don't try to draw it the way I used to, because I don't work for the shop. 

Jan 12, 16 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Thanks you guys.  Part of the issue here is it's steel, which I haven't done much of. I feel like I've become very knowledgeable of how carpenters work doing residential design - I understand how cabinet carcasses go together and all the other detailing of kitchen/bath projects, and I know which trades come in at which time so I understand how to sequence things to get the finished look I want.

archanonymous, you built a Fornes piece? I feel like one of the huge gaps in my knowledge is I really don't understand the translation from design to fabrication via Rhino or Revit or whatever 3D programs are being used these days.  The multiple steps that I just did - looking at the overall design intent then figuring out how to fabricate it and then figuring out what the materials list is and THEN figuring out how to communicate all those decisions graphically to someone else - those steps should all be consolidated into the one drawing file, right? I feel like my boss back in 1995 when we first started using CAD, and he would say "But to change the floor-to-floor heights by 3" you just have to push a button, right?" and we young interns would roll our eyes at each other thinking "He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about..."

Jan 12, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

For my last complex project (steel and timber stair) I did what many would consider a shop drawing but what was in reality a very detailed design drawing for the steel fabricator, who did his own shop drawing. One of the most difficult aspects of that project was the installation sequence, which required a very specific order of operations between the two trades. So aside from knowledge of materials and fabrication, often real experience in assembly and installation is necessary. That was a tough one, I think 5 revisions to get it right. Tough to do if you don't have the experience. 

Jan 12, 16 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Oddly enough Donna, I like cars and custom things done with them.  A couple books I have are great crossovers for architectural metal fabrication ideas;  There's Metal Fabricator's Handbook and Sheet Metal Handbook.   While geared toward automotive, there are lots of cool things in there.  Basically, think about what it takes to bend a motorcycle gas tank or a hood and how to form those complex shapes so they are functional, structural and beautiful.

Sounds like something your husband would like too.  

Jan 12, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Definitely, mightyaa. Husband has actually done a lot of custom car body work; he has the patience for it.

Jan 12, 16 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

SO, when your neighbors post on the local blog that they wish a development site would be turned into a park for all the neighborhood to enjoy, but literally two blocks away is a park, another park is six blocks away, another park is five blocks away, and the neighborhood is bounded on all sides by walking path greenspaces along rivers and canals, can one assume that the poster has no friggin' idea what they're talking about when it comes to what's good for neighborhoods?!?!

Jan 12, 16 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like a typical NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) response. The neighbor doesn't give a rat's ass about having another park; they just don't want any new development.

Whenever a new project is proposed here in Cincinnati, no matter how plain vanilla it is architecturally, there's always a Greek chorus of self-appointed neighborhood activists complaining because it doesn't "fit the character" of the existing architecture. They never bother to define what the "character" is or how to fit in with it; they just know that they hate anything new. The city insists that the design gets dumbed down even further, and the neighborhood people still complain. Anything other than a park or a surface parking lot is always "out of character", even if the site is downtown and surrounded by high-rise office buildings.

Jan 12, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

SO, when your neighbors post on the local blog ...  can one assume that the poster has no friggin' idea what they're talking about when it comes to what's good for neighborhoods?!?!

The general case seems to hold true for my neighborhood.

Jan 12, 16 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Oh god exactly!!! Everyone claims "it doesn't fit in!" when the existing neighborhood is a motley mix of styles that just happen to be mostly 70-30 years old. I have such a NIMBY Greek chorus around here, it's appalling.

I mean, I admit there is A LOT I don't know about bicycling, and music, and law, and medicine, and natural foods, and photography, and yoga...and a million other things. But I *do* know about development of the built environment. It's so aggravating how everyone thinks they're an expert.

Jan 12, 16 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

David Cole,

I would say, look at the photos from a number of firms in the Portland area or Seattle area (very similar) and look how they dress for photos and the kind of position they hold.

At the very least, a good dress shirt and slacks. Maybe an overcoat if anything but at an interview, it is a step or two up from day to day office attire which maybe more relaxed. That has been what I have been told but also from my own personal observation with firms like SRG and others. While New York may carry on a little more business oriented attire expectation, we are a little more relaxed. You wouldn't be dressing in dress shoes if you are going out to a mud pit of a job site. 

Dress presentable and from what I see, that wouldn't be hard for you. If I was hiring an architect for example, just the way you present yourself in the photo of yourself and your website already would give a good impression especially for possible principal-track or senior associate level. 

The rest of the work comes down to how you are in person.  Yeah, what I said isn't unique point but hey...  The way you look and dressed in your profile and website as well is fairly in line with what I had seen. While I have seen a little variety of architects presents themselves and clothing in Oregon. For an upscale firm in Portland, you should dress presentable. 

Jan 12, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^^ Always be suspicious of anyone opposed to digging up vacant property....

Jan 12, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Donna, your neighbors may or may not understand architecture - but most people have an intuitive understanding of economics.

Fewer new homes = existing homes sell for more. Your neighbors have come across one of the few politically acceptable ways of asserting their economic priorities.

Jan 12, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

It's all about money. Look for the $$$ behind it. While I understand when it comes to historic districts and communities with a significant historic architecture that defines the place and the community. 

I'm curious what is the driving force. 

The flip side for neighborhoods opposing new construction is that it raises the value of the land and property. As strange as it may seem at face value, why would you oppose increasing the value of your property, the priority is clear. If your intent is to sell your property, you would want anything to improve property value. IF your intent is to stay, you would be opposing anything that would raise the ongoing cost of living (gentrification.... being when property redevelopment raises the property value which increases the property tax on the property to a point where people are forced out of their homes by economic force).

Jan 12, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

David, I think your choice of attire would be fine in Seattle or Portland. Good luck with your interviews. If all else fails, you at least have an option for a senior associate position or principal-track position in Balkins' firm that is bound to take off soon in Astoria once he can figure out how to provide better service than the local community college students. Opportunities like that should not be taken lightly.

Jan 12, 16 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

While I like to contained the general discussion regarding competing with everyone that is offering the services for little to nothing to literally nothing including the community college where it was, I'll say a few base points. It isn't just about producing a better service or what is technically a better deliverable.  It has to be so much more better of a set of deliverable that it is clearly noticeable to the untrained eye of the client that makes the decisions whether to pay or not to pay.

It is humanly impossible for one human being to measure the same amount of measurements covering all the same or superior components being measured, recorded/documented, etc. as 10 people in the same time as 10 people. If it takes 4 hours for 10 people to measure & record the measurements (which would be 40 man hours) and all and they are doing it for free, I would have to do it in 4 hours just to be considered. I would have to do significantly more in the same amount of time or less in order to get paid. 

In short, I have to be Superman or superhuman to do that. It is just not humanly possible.

Anyone's suggestions to do with less measuring and more strategic measurements while just measuring with a measuring tape is not going to produce the same level or quality a building survey unless you employ some other means to collect the data. The fact is they have more people collecting measurement data. The quality and accuracy of the building survey is dependents on the resolution of measurement data. Embodied data (or embodied intelligence as it may) is this acute volume of information. For this work to become billable, I have to step of the volume of information collected. In a sense, we are in an information age in architecture/building design. Clients are paying for that and professional services are in part about information and the ability to bring that information together. 

If you are understanding this and bring that into perspective with simple minded consumerism that residential clients and most other clients largely operate under, it should be clear that I have to employ a much different data/information collection methodology for services like building survey that are different and at a higher volume.

Now, that is said and done.

Jan 13, 16 2:11 am  · 
 · 

Regarding the comment, "If all else fails, you at least have an option for a senior associate position or principal-track position in Balkins' firm that is bound to take off soon in Astoria once he can figure out how to provide better service than the local community college students", I'll be clear that I am rooting for him in finding a position at one of the finer architectural firms in Portland or Seattle or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

Jan 13, 16 2:48 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sigh. ...Gave up a opportunity of a lifetime and dream job yesterday, Animation Development manager specialising in virtual reality for a events company wanting to send me around the world to events D:

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Jan 13, 16 4:47 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Why?

Jan 13, 16 7:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

25% less pay than what I'm getting now :/

Jan 13, 16 7:30 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

At 25% reduction in would take dream job and find a way. ....because in a few years in theory you would be back at it....anyway to consult back into it?

Jan 13, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I've thought about it a lot, and I didn't think I'm ready for it to be honest. Still far too young and inexperience to lead a department, plus to be honest I'm more interested in making money at the moment to travel. Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity again? The only reason that I was contacted was because I'm one of the few people in the UK with experience in VR and taking charge of launching it for a company.

......money talks right? . ....

Jan 13, 16 7:52 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

then i think you made the right decision and a better opportunity for dream job will come in time.

Jan 13, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Experience comes with experience.

Money isn't everything. 

Jan 13, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

True, I remember when I used to apply to jobs and they asked me for experience....

Jan 13, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 

....AND NOW ALAN RICKMAN IS DEAD?!?!?!

Dammit. This weeks sucks huge donkey balls.

Jan 14, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

And bombing in Jakarta.

Jan 14, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: