Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

Well, the ad got pulled, or he pulled it, but you're right, he's a fucking prick, without shame.

Feb 12, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

"Responsibilities include maintenance of the sample library, assisting Designers and Design Assistants with pricing, quotes, and selection of materials which may require trips to the Merchandise Mart. Other duties may include Cad, drafting, and entry of specifications into our design tracking program, assisting with preparation of presentations as well as filing and other administrative duties." - Design Intern position. 

Several other positions with similar job descriptions with different titles. Just because the positions maybe part time doesn't mean you don't pay wages. There is something called PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT. Design Intern is a 40-hours a week position. Sorry.... I call bullshit on this. The intent of unpaid internship is that they are NEVER full-time work week. They should never be over 16 hours a week. 

3 days at 8-hrs a day is 24 hours and that's basically half-time employment. Some people think that if they aren't full-time that they don't have to pay them. WRONG. It's seriously wrong when they have a person working 40 hours a week unpaid. Where is the time for that intern to be able to work a single full-time job to sustain themselves while doing such an internship. 

It is ridiculous that a for-profit business wants someone for 40 hours a week. Sorry Nate Berkus, you should never offer full-time unpaid internship unless you offer free room & board with food. People aren't going to have time to work a job if they are working for you for free.

A proposal I give for legislation:

We need to downright legislate this conduct that for-profits businesses to codify a limit that a for-profit business may not employ a person as an "non-academic" unpaid intern for more than 16 hours a week for a specified duration (non-academic) unpaid interns not to exceed 10% of the employed (part-time & full-time) work force (employees & the owners of the business included in the calc basis). 90% of the work force shall be paid position. Employed as in employees and the owners of the business not independent contractors. They maybe contracted or convention EMPLOYEES not independent contractors (1099-MISC) for purpose of calculation. The role of such unpaid interns shall predominately be duties not customarily part of the duties of paid staff. It should be about learning not supplanting paid employees who could be doing the very tasks if assigned to them as part of the diverse roles and responsibilities of paid staff.

The duties and tasks should mainly be the same kinds of tasks typically assigned to academic interns and unrelated to the projects of the business as to not be used to primarily displace workforce.

I propose capping the number of non-academic unpaid interns positions to not exceed 10% of the number of paid employees of the business. Non-academic unpaid interns as in unpaid interns not receiving academic credit or used for academic institutional program requirements of a high school or college.

For really small businesses with less than 9 employees, the rule maybe tweaked even further. For example, a business with less than 9 paid employees (including owners/partners) then the number might be a total of 1 unpaid intern position at a time. 

Exception to the "10%" rules (or the limit of 1 rule for very small firms) are those participating in an academic internship (a special type of unpaid internship with schools).

Those positions must clearly be documented as an academic internship position and maintain documentation of the intern's enrollment in a school indicating the name of that academic institution and location of institution and institution's program director/advisor/supervisor.

Duration shall be that according to the academic internship and similar programs from which credit is earned and be considered separate from other unpaid internship positions not associated with academic internships (ie. non-academic unpaid internship).

If a firm has 50 paid employees (including the owners), a max of 5 non-academic unpaid interns maybe employed at a time for hours not to exceed 16 hours a week for a duration. The number of academic interns maybe left undefined provide they fit into the guidelines of not displacing regular employees.

The curtailing and placing stringent restrictions, as I propose is the intent so employers are pressured to do what is right and pay people for doing work for them and not just get a bunch of people to work for them for free to save a buck. While, unpaid internships have their value but they are also exploited to illegal/unethical levels. They should be about training. A form of on the job training. These unpaid interns should be academic apprenticeship like in nature and not about using such people for free labor because they don't want to spend money on hiring a paid employee. 

The point in that idea.... whether you agree with me or not, is just an idea on how to limit abusing the purpose. People seek work but if all they can find is unpaid internship in the field they study, then how are people going to progress in their professional development.  

The point is that such positions are A) short, B) don't command a huge number of hours a week of the intern as to permit them to work a single full-time job so such interns can sustain themselves and C) the number of positions utilized under non-academic unpaid interns be limited s as to not encourage abuse and exploitation of unpaid internships.

In my opinion, if a for-profit business wants an unpaid intern to work more than 16 hours a week, they should provide housing and food free of charge so the intern doesn't have to work a part-time or a full-time job. Especially if the unpaid internship requires 40-hours a week or more.

From 16-24 hours a week of unpaid internship, then at least rent free with basic utilities so the person can work at least 16-24 hours a week at a part-time paid employment to cover food and other basic expenses of living because most people can't do a full-time job and full-time unpaid internship because there just isn't the jobs available in many places. 

There also not that many hours in a week.

We need to move toward legislating this. While we can employ this into the architect licensing laws as a possibility (and made applicable even to unlicensed building design businesses) but that's a stretch however, this really needs to be in the main labor laws in all states and the federal labor laws.  

Feb 13, 16 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Sorry for the long post but part of it includes a proposed concept for legislation for "non-academic" unpaid internships.... those that are not part of an academic internship program of some kind. Generally, unpaid internships should be part of academic programs of students working so many hours per credit of such internship. My proposed limitations would be applicable to those not doing the work as part of an academic internship program but those that are not. Most people doing this outside of academic curriculum just aren't in a position where they can afford to work 40 hours a week for whatever duration for free. They have to work to pay rent as they wouldn't be having any financial aid coverage. 

Unpaid internships have their pros and cons. I'll leave it at that.

Feb 13, 16 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Balkins, the only "pros" for unpaid internships are in the pockets of the asses who offer them.

Feb 13, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 
situationist

There's been a long running saying in the interior design/decor world: Nate Berkus is a jerkus.

Feb 13, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur,

I believe there is a few benefits for the interns. Example: The summer intern programs that people in high school may do. While these programs are often an unpaid internship so is various coop programs. These are often associated with academic institutions. Even when not associated with academic they can be beneficial for getting a little peak into what it is. These are usually short duration with a limited amount of time each week that the intern would be working with the 'internship supervisor'.

It is kind of in the category of pros as 'job shadowing' because that is more or less what unpaid internship is suppose to be. That is what unpaid internship is suppose to be.. basically.

There is a point that it is downright exploitation.

Feb 13, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

I'm talking with famous people and talking about famous works of architecture here on Archinect all the time and yet you know what I work on over my weekends? Turning a pole barn into a wedding venue. It's all good, I'm happy with life, but man. If I didn't have Archinect to keep my brain sharp I'd actually *be* an alcoholic instead of just pretending to be.

Love you Archinect! And all you archinectors! Happy Valentine's Day!

Feb 13, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Cold Blast has finally come to New England. Took Mrs Snooker to a Dairy Farm where they make their own Chocolates from the milk from the Dairy.  The barn is big as all get out, the sales room is like an under sized milking parlor.  Two people behind the counter and the the place holds six customers.  So we had a line of  Connecticut Yankees standing outside in single digit temps with a howling wind.  Mrs was happy it was well worth the trip.  After that we went to my favorite smoke house and  filled up on Smoked Turkey sandwiches, and chocolate chip cookies.  Started a fire in the fire place this afternoon knowing this is going to be the coldest night of winter. There saying it will feel like -30 by morning.  So think I will sleep in late and stay under the warm covers. 

I'm really pissed I missed the guy looking for free help....cause,  "I'm his Guy!"

Happy Valentines Day!

Feb 13, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Happy Valentine's Day TC!

Feb 14, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, fits a topic in this thread as well.... but hey.

Feb 14, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

ffs, http://threedpower.com is the same studio that's been plaguing this forum for awhile now. can we not have a blacklist of studios?

Shit work too.

Feb 16, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Ever dig around in a Revit model that somebody created and it becomes apparent that they had no clue that there's a difference between, say, 3'-2" and 32"?

Current mood:

Feb 16, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

I hate working in other people's files. This profession would be a lot simpler if we didn't have to collaborate.

Try this for a solution ... Ask them to pull out a dollar bill. Take it from them. Repeat as necessary until they understand that the difference is about 6 inches.

Feb 16, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I think I've told this story before but;

I had a contractor that we did a series of HUD housing units for.  His framer built all the door openings wrong, thru the whole house.  For example, a door listed as 3068 he built the opening as 30"x68". How you could be that stupid, I have no idea...

Feb 16, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

If you want to feel shitty about human nature, hold an employee garage sale and watch a bunch of people who make a good living argue viciously for their right to get equal access to cheap deals as a bunch of people who barely make a living wage at all.

Thank heavens it's National Drink Wine Day* as I'm gonna be breaking it out early.

*As opposed to regular National Wine Day, National White Wine Day, National Red Wine Day, National Sparkling Wine Day, National Wine in Pajamas Day, National Where's My Goddam Wine Day, National......

Feb 18, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

That's why Americans should use the Metric system, I hate receiving files from American's, it always causes trouble.

Feb 18, 16 10:50 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

That's OK, I hate recieving drawings in metric!

Feb 18, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Imperial is just the worst.

I return shop drawings instantly if they are not in mm.

Feb 18, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Honestly, when I was in manufacturing and I received stuff in iches and feet I'd phone them to convert everything into mm. In surveying we'd never do inches cause its just a shitty measurement.

Feb 18, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 

I measure everything in hands and spans, except when cladding, where I use Mickeys.

Feb 18, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, what about medium sized gerbil penises?

Feb 18, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Um, you guys, can we talk about the most important aspect of metric/imperial measurements, the size of a glass of wine?  A 750ml bottle yields (5) 150ml glasses of wine. But straight from the wine wiki where I found this info I also found this:

In most western countries the standard drink range is from 8 to 12 g of alcohol, except in the USA where it is super-sized to 14 g.

No matter how we measure it, in the US it's bigger because our self-identity depends on it.

Feb 18, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, does it matter if you just drink it straight from the bottle?

Feb 18, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Bottle? I measure alcohol in Olympic-size swimming pools.

Feb 18, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Non Seq I need to figure out if I'm getting the proper amount of health benefits from the doctor-recommended "one" glass of wine daily. I tend to err on the side of excess.

Feb 18, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my glass is a 5 gallon corny keg.

Feb 18, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I didn't know alcohol was measured in grams. 

I just realized this past weekend that the glass of whiskey I pour myself Fridays after work tends to be a "double" if I think it's a single, and basically just a cup of whiskey if I pour myself what I think is a double.

Feb 18, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I didn't know alcohol was measured in grams. 

Its not! It's drams...

Feb 18, 16 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Dear Bruce Rauner,

Pass the god damn Illinois annual budget budget so I can:

- Have access to my IDP hours

- Get my exam results

- Schedule my final AREs

for those out of the loop....

Feb 18, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, that's all kinds of fucked-up. So happy I no longer live in Chicago.

Feb 18, 16 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

whoa

Feb 18, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

I know, that NCARB Illinois thing is crazy. I was asking all the architects at our AIA meeting tonight if they are registered in Illinois and none of them had heard this news yet.

Feb 18, 16 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's not good.

Feb 18, 16 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Is this deliberate on the State’s part…pushback?

Feb 18, 16 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

The entire state is a fiscal mess. Just about every friend I've had in Chicago with school-aged kids has moved out of state because the public schools are such a mess. Chicago Public Schools were never great, but between Rahm and Rauner they're now a dumpster fire.

Feb 18, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Dear Bruce Rauner,

Pass the god damn Illinois annual budget budget so I can:

- Have access to my IDP hours

- Get my exam results

- Schedule my final AREs

F---ing hell....?

Hell.... Illinois is the first architectural licensing board in the entire United States and were charter members of NCARB.

This can't be good. Is Illinois going to re-institute their Illinois Architect exam that they had administered since... the ARE was established. That's some three decades ago.

Feb 18, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

No, this is good. Proof positive that fucking Teapublicans can suck donkey dick. And, maybe, just maybe this could push licensing to a national licensure, especially if more states decide to fuck sheep, like that asspuppet in Wisconsin.

Feb 18, 16 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

... hmmm....

It can be but I'm concern with what the outcome will be to the people working on getting licensed.

Feb 19, 16 12:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, there are some dopey architects that feel we have TOO MANY architects. Besides, no one is building, or designing in Illinoize anyway. 

Feb 19, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 

I have to correct myself, Illinois hadn't had to administer their own exam in 4 to 5 decades.

That is what will happen if they are removed from NCARB. People will have to go out of state. NCARB through their contracted testing centers would no longer administer exams in the state of Illinois and those people will have to take the exam out of state and complete licensure out of state and reciprocate into the state through a more expensive and slower process.

4-5 decades ago, those exams were paper & pencil exams, administered only ONE TIME A YEAR at the State Capitol not a local prometric center. 

I don't recall Illinois Board of Architect examiners has an allocated budget to administer the exams themselves. 

They will have no in-state licensure process until they change the administrative rules and possibly the statutes in order to allow them to administer their own exam. That depends on how the statutes are written. 

That is hurting the innocent over a $11,000 token amount to NCARB. 

I'm not sure if that is good.

Feb 19, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Prometric doesn't care what state you're in, from or licensing to. I'm sure you can still test in Illinois- have your results sent elsewhere. Neither Indiana or Wisconsin are that far from Chicago.

I live in NJ. Was a NY candidate. Took exams in Delaware. No one cared...

Feb 19, 16 7:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this is about more than exams however.

Feb 19, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I am one test and a handful of hours away from getting my license in Illinois. Will probably finish before the deadline NCARB has set for the state, fortunately.

This is the logical outcome of tea-party politics.

Maybe we should just push it to the extreme and ask the state to stop licensing architects entirely. If someone enters a building, they are making a choice as only an adult in a free country can, and it is their own fault if they die in a structure fire.

Feb 19, 16 8:09 am  · 
 · 

Could print a disclaimer and put one on every new building. Would be cheap!!!! 

Feb 19, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Deregulate architects? 

Who could possibly be against that (except for insurers, lawyers, universities, the AIA, NCARB, municipal governments, not to mention the vast majority of licensed architects)?

LOL

Feb 19, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 

I love that Richard responded to this:

...fucking Teapublicans can suck donkey dick...especially if more states decide to fuck sheep, like that asspuppet in Wisconsin...

with this: ...hmmm...

I can almost picture the pursed lips and furrowed brow trying not to laugh. So funny, you guys.

I flirted with an 80 year old male architect last night at an AIA event. He was charming and adorable and we both enjoyed ourselves. I love old men (when they're not being asshats, of course).

Feb 19, 16 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Also, you guys laugh but Indiana did in fact investigate eliminating professional licensure for architects last year. The committee actually ended up recommending that architects stay licensed but structural engineers NOT be...which was a huge WTF. Their logic (if you can call it that) was that structural engineers are really highly trained, and that's past proof that they'll do a good job, so no need to license them going forward. Headslap.

Thankfully the whole idea was shelved when cosmetologists put up a huuuuuuuge fuss. Cosmetologists are our allies frequently lately; the other legislative thing that won't die is the proposal that services be taxed. But our hairdresser friends will fight that tooth and nail, too, and quite flamboyantly, I might add!

Oh and BTW Arizona is moving forward, for the moment, with de-regulating landscape architects. Good times! https://www.azpm.org/p/crawler-stories/2016/2/17/82190-house-bill-would-de-regulate-landscape-architects-geologists/

Feb 19, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

isn't a big part of the point of licensure a way of verifying those 'highly trained' credentials?  obviously the license itself doesn't make you a competent structural engineer.  the license is just a way to say somebody checked to see if you're trained.

Feb 19, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 

You need a license to drive a car but any fucking idiot can have a kid. Go figure.

Feb 19, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Pun intended? 

Feb 19, 16 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: