Thread Central

Non Sequitur

^gross.

Jan 27, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 

^^ Pics or it didn't happen.

Jan 27, 16 11:59 am  · 
 · 

I just had a great phone interview with a well-regarded firm in Seattle, and they do lots of work that's right up my alley. They might want me out there sooner than I had originally scheduled... Stay tuned.

Also just got contacted by a firm in Portland that literally has nothing but suburban strip malls on their website. Sending them a polite rejection letter was probably way more gratifying for me than it should have been.

Jan 27, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

camel toe foot?...............on bus heading home, avoiding work for an hour........reading "Generation of Swine" by Hunter S. Thompson, mainly mid to late 80's, has anything changed? .............i never understood why there were so many horror movies produced or at least available for rent at the video store from the 80's, my friend blamed Reagan. If Trump or Cruz wins, should i get into the horror flick business?

Jan 27, 16 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Toe cleavage is gross. As are yam toes. I have one pair of shoes that show a tiny bit of toe cleavage and I'm not happy about it, but I do love the shoes. But seriously, in summer only!

Jan 27, 16 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

We just learned one of our remodel projects is full of asbestos, one more check for the man.

Jan 28, 16 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

or cash for the mob?

Jan 28, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Donna, yes. I hope you enjoyed it. The budget was incredibly tight.  Now I believe I have reduced my anonymity to five people, woops

Jan 28, 16 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Sadly, ivorykeyboard, I never got to see it in person. Thom and I were at Cranbrook together, that's how I knew about it. I copied his bachelor house interior skin at my own house (but just on one wall) and one of his school projects involving plaster, lead, and electricity is like a touchstone for me on materials usage. 

Jan 28, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its friday night and nothing like some good 'ol toe cleavage - whoot!

Jan 29, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

You all got quiet;  I like toe cleavage (assumes a pedicure on delicate digits instead of gnarly hairy stumps down there)

Feb 3, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 

I don't like toe cleavage under the best of circumstances, but in January in the Midwest?! No.  granted, several of my best friends wear flipflops in all weather, and I despise flip flops, but I love my friends, so small fashion transgressions can be overlooked. For example, today I'm wearing a suit (first time in MONTHS!) and it is designed to not need a belt. I don't really like dress trousers worn without a belt, but Michael Speaks wears fab suits that don't require a belt, so I feel like this might only be a transgression in my own mind.

Frankly, when I discuss this stuff I feel like Nigel Tufnel complaining about the mini slices of bread not fitting the regular-sized deli meats. "I'll rise above it, I'm a professional."

Feb 3, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Brilliant reference, Donna. Made my day. 

Feb 3, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

how about, what's best in Archinect?

Feb 4, 16 6:43 am  · 
 · 

We're old, Miles. But that's ok, we're wise. Or wise-ish, at least!

Feb 4, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I believe people of our age we call "tempered by life"....  

Feb 4, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Or the walking dead.

Feb 4, 16 10:58 am  · 
 · 

I LOL'd, archiwutm8.

I'm turning more and more into my father, which in my mind is excellent, because he's the life of the party, but also the one who always says the inappropriate thing.  Having a 12 year old son who I *know* will respond to  my humor doesn't make me any more discreet. Poor kid!

Feb 4, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 

When I was around 40 I realized that I'd spent the better part of my life trying NOT to be like my father, and that I had utterly failed.

At that point I gave up and became my own man.

Feb 4, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

That point I gave up and became my own man.

I'm 43 and feel like I've recently come to a similar conclusion.  Although I don't think I was trying to avoid so much as conform with certain expectation.

Maybe its a certain maturity, maybe its the loss of a parent...

Feb 4, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Football is the quintessential American sport. Two teams fight back and forth for and over the same territory repeatedly on behalf of their corporate sponsors, who make billions. The events are promoted with cross-branded copious advertising and jingoistic fervor while the wounded warriors are discarded without a care.

Feb 8, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Nailed it, Miles.

I had a fantastic weekend away with moms. More booze than hiking, and only one Brad Pitt movie. I need to detox.

Feb 8, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

agree miles - i barely enjoy football at any level now, i just think's too exploitative.  NFL & NCAA are the worst, i enjoy NBA, at least it's fairly honest, hate CBA, still love baseball though.

Feb 8, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hockey!

Feb 8, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Anyone see the news about the oil can construction found in a collapsed building in Taiwan?

Photos Of Cans Inside Taiwan Building's Pillars Help Spur Call For Safety Reviews

I'm having a difficult time believing that filling a pillar with oil cans at its perimeter to "make it look bigger for aesthetic purposes" is a legitimate defense.  Hell there's rebar strung through some of the cans in that picture, which appears to be a load bearing wall.  Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the company who built this 33 years ago had some kind of connection with the government if this excuse stands.

Feb 8, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

I've got Candle In The Wind stuck in my head. Dammit.

Feb 8, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Hippy Hippy Shake.

There, I fixed it. 

Feb 8, 16 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Another article days that banks refused to offer mortgages on units in that building due to construction quality concerns. Crazy!

Feb 8, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

applied to an open position on my planning board - thinking it might be something of little interest to many people and a great way to get involved in my area, turns out there is a ton of interest and i'm about the only applicant who isn't a ceo, attorney, or both. what a waste of time

Feb 8, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Still, good for you applying, shuellmi! It gets your name in front of people related to things that they now know you are interested in/expert at.

Feb 8, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Being on a planning board is nasty.  They've tried to recruit me a few times and I ran our historic board for a couple years.  Every week they meet, tons of paper to review, staff interactions...and then the public forum which is generally assured you will torque someone off (either the 'government takings' crowd, or the nimby, or the ones convinced you are on the take, or the "you've got no business telling me what I can or can't do", etc.).  You never get praise, only complaints.  Sure, people get to know you and your name..... but that isn't necessarily a good thing if they are part of that mob mentality.  

Seriously; serving ruined my faith in my community.  They are short sighted emotional creatures who follow the loudest screamers and flat out create no win scenarios.... and seriously beyond delusional.  If you are rational and reasonable; Stay out of politics where those character traits will be a liability.  

The scary thing is; Get people one on one and they are very reasonable and rational.  Put them in a crowd, and they become silent and just follow the mob.

Feb 9, 16 11:35 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I've served on a planning board. It is a time commitment - especially if you want to be actually knowledgeable about the projects and applicable requirements. I enjoyed it.

Finishing up a zoning variance today. I'd rather be on the board than arguing a case in front of one. But I'm good in front of them too.
Feb 9, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

I'm surprised that nobody has written about the dirty underside of "public" service - bribes, threats, various payoff scams, etc.

A former town supervisor once tried to solicit a bribe from me ...

Feb 9, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

maybe it is good not to have any additional worries - the guy who was appointed is a gazillionaire and i guess is well known to the trustees. The other 2 finalists were certainly better qualified than me.  Apparently the first qualification was living in the area over 10 years, so I was never really considered.  

twp politics can be pretty nasty....

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2015/07/08/bloomfield-township-politics-are-insane-treasurer-accuses-supervisor-of-kidnapping-his-daughter

Feb 9, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Served on my township BZA & zoning as chairman of both for close to 15 years…you’ll be fine just so long as you don’t say “no” to anybody…it’s when you start doing the right thing and saying no that you will start being skipped over for projects for the “no’s” and get the bribe offers to get you to say “yes”.

Learned a lot, met a lot of people, but on balance I wouldn’t do it again while working…the reason the big-guys are after the position is they have no compunction about profiting from it…I had to resign when I realized that people I never heard of were hiring me to draw things they never intended to build….they boxed me in without me realizing it.

Feb 9, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

thanks for the perspective.  

I'll keep an eye out but prob won't pursue again for awhile.  Wife is due in 2 mths so things are about to get hectic

Feb 10, 16 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Ugh, Carerra, that really is the problem: there are plenty of people out there who have no compunction whatsoever about profiting from a public position like that. Whenever I interact with someone who really has not ethical boundaries like that it is shocking.  The world is full of differences.

Feb 10, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Hi

Feb 10, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Back?

Feb 10, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Not really, I stumbled across an artticle that linked to Archinect and wondered if my login still works. 

I've now joined the scummy ranks of Advertising— currently work as the creative head of data visualization and design for a largish agency. 

Feb 10, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dear Douchecanoe,

I find your advertisement on Archinect to be a fucking travesty. You are looking to hire unpaid interns, for credit, when they've already completed a BArch, or MArch? How, pray tell, does that even work? Do you know what century this is? Are you even remotely aware of the student loan debt being carried by graduate architects, or is your leader's head that buried up his ass that he could give fucks?

Respectfully,

MN Licensed Architect

--

MSP

Feb 11, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

I tweeted at douchecanoe. Not as colorfully (?) as b3ta, but asking WTF was up with that ad.

Feb 12, 16 10:25 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I hope he gets what he pays for

Feb 12, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I can't figure out what you guys are talking about...I didn't see anyone advertising for a Monkey.  Oh well missed the Banana Boat Again!  Please some one direct me so I can sigh up for an interview.   I figure I work most of the  year for free anyhow...

Feb 12, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Damn the Job has been filled or the person filing it has expired.....wander what really happened?

Feb 12, 16 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

snook, he still has (5) internships posted on his website

a design intern

a project management intern

an executive intern

a studio intern

and an administrative intern.

Feb 12, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Ok guys - the pitchforks are nice, but how about we actually do something about this?

Didn't the AIA have some system of reporting employers that don't pay their interns? This is clearly an abuse of the school credit for internship system. If an intern is doing work that is inherently profitable for the firm, they have to be compensated. 

from http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

There are some circumstances under which individuals who participate in “for-profit” private sector internships or training programs may do so without compensation.  The Supreme Court has held that the term "suffer or permit to work" cannot be interpreted so as to make a person whose work serves only his or her own interest an employee of another who provides aid or instruction.  This may apply to interns who receive training for their own educational benefit if the training meets certain criteria.  The determination of whether an internship or training program meets this exclusion depends upon all of the facts and circumstances of each such program.

The following six criteria must be applied when making this determination:

1. The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
  2. The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern; (nope)
  3. The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff; (nope)
  4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
  5. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship ; and
  6. The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
Feb 12, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Mr. Berkus sure has a hell of a business model there.

Feb 12, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I'm too busy to get the Federales involved, I'd rather shame the fuck out of the Nates of the world.
Feb 12, 16 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

The Nates of this world are without shame. 

Feb 12, 16 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: