Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

good morning all, so it appears i have a stress fracture in my shin area....wearing a boot is a total inconvenience. on the upside it makes me move a bit slower....

Steven i was thinking the same thing.

Apr 4, 13 8:09 am  · 
 · 

yes!  where is holzbox?

i went to see a few passivhauses in denmark last fall and they were coolio but also not so nice as palces.  bad architecture, good tech.  also went to more extreme energy efficient place in copenhagen that only worked correctly if the humans didn't touch anything. convinced me we are on the wrong path with that approach and maybe efficiency is not the droids we are looking for...

Apr 4, 13 9:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i <3 star wars references

Apr 4, 13 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Since I'm not really in the field anymore, I don't keep up with these field of thought and energy-approval.  But it seems that anything that doesn't allow me to open my doors and windows, well, sucks.  I love opening my windows, see the curtains hangin in the window, summer breeze... Makes me feel fine.

Apr 4, 13 9:52 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Hey Design Peeps-

Anyone know of good flooring options for high traffic areas and heavy objects (motorcycles)?  The present space has a mix of carpet and vinyl flooring.  The owner wants it all to be uniform.  I originally thought about just taking it all up and polishing the concrete below but they used self leveling stuff so that's out.  Stone carpet is out because the pricepoint.  The client is concerned about pricing.  Thoughts, suggestions?

Apr 4, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 

melt, either terrazzo ($$$) or Marmoleum ($$); Marmoleum just came out with a new striated pattern I really want to use somewhere. 

I too feel we've been summoning holzbox and he hasn't shown up yet.  Should we all close our eyes and chant "passive-tight-passive-tight" over and over for a few minutes to see if it works?

Rough exhausting freaking morning so far today.  And it won't slow down - I had to retreat to my office to catch a breather before I strangle someone.

Apr 4, 13 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

melt, do industrial resinous flooring that is oil resistant ( since you are motorcycling over it). Do Stoneclad GR for environmental friendliness. 

Apr 4, 13 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks so much Rusty!  Do you know if that stuff is easy to install?  I've heard there may be a chance they will just get their buddies who are handy to install.

Apr 4, 13 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Do buddies know how to prep a concrete floor? How about mixing a 4 component epoxy system without fucking up the entire batch? It's not hard but it requires a degree of discipline different from general carpentry.

Apr 4, 13 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

No clue.  I would hope, considering it is a retail space they hire a professional installer, but I've heard stories that sometimes they don't.  Just trying to make sure the material I use is as idiot proof as possible.  

Apr 4, 13 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

In that case, you should go with the epoxy and paint flecks stuff.  Roll on, throw, let dry, then roll on the clear coat.  Pretty idiot proof.  Even better, they can pick their own colour combination!

Apr 4, 13 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

So last week, I was stuck doing marketing. I had no hope of doing what I was actually hired to do because although I was hired specifically to do this job, my then-boss put a favorite consultant on every single proposal, because she a) has connections with the clients we wanted, b) has 20 years of experience on me so a more established/sellable portfolio, oh and c) was in a long-term relationship with one of the principals.

Now in the first week at a new job, suddenly I get to design the environmental graphics for 10 stories of corporate headquarters for a giant client, oh and the campus wayfinding for a brand name hospital. Funny, how life can change so fast. Looks like I need to re-discover my hustle.

Apr 4, 13 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

umm what exactly is "stone carpet"

Apr 4, 13 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

Should I respond to Mr. ROBERT SWAN MUELLER III in Hong Kong yahoo address? I need the money...

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI.WASHINGTON DC.
WASHINGTON D.C ROOM,7367
J. EDGAR HOOVER FBI BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE,
NW WASHINGTON, DC 20535.

RE: FUND VALUED AT US*$10.7 MILLION USD.

We hope this notification arrives meeting your good health and mind. We are happy to inform you that your funds valued at US*$10,700,000.00 (Ten million Seven Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) has been approved by the Treasury
Department of the United States.

Respond back via [[email protected]] for further directives.

Thank you very much for your anticipated co-operation.

Best Regards,

ROBERT SWAN MUELLER III
WASHINGTON D.C ROOM,7367
J. EDGAR HOOVER FBI BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE,
NW WASHINGTON, DC 20535. 

Apr 4, 13 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Very cook rationalist! Sounds like a great gig.
Apr 5, 13 4:30 am  · 
 · 
****melt

http://www.stonecarpet.com/

Very cool indeed rationalist.  Funny how the universe sometimes works.

Apr 5, 13 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So it's like a rubber mat?

Apr 5, 13 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

how often do they publish aia compensation surveys?  the last was 2011, before that was 08 and 05 right?  so is the next one anticipated to be towrads the end of 2014?

Apr 5, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've decided that there should be a section in the code that states spaces where anyone under the age of 5 would inhabit shall require a hose bib and floor drain.

Apr 5, 13 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
toaster, I thnk anywhere inhabited by college students, too.
Apr 5, 13 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

I've decided that there should be a section in the code that states spaces where anyone under the age of 5 would inhabit shall require a hose bib and floor drain.

Or over 50.

Apr 6, 13 12:02 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Home from another day of Weekend Warrior. Our Diner is ready to Fly!  Finished cribbing her up and then broke away the masonry brick skirt wall.  There were  8 of us who smashed thru about 90 lf  by 2' tall  masonry wall in under two hours.  Then we had to go around and pick at the brick where trusses and beams were imbedded in the walls. You have never seen such a bunch of happy guys at  3:00 in the afternoon. So  we be rocking and rolling next weekend.

Apr 6, 13 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Bump!

Apr 8, 13 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

The salary poll will be excellent.

I just finished hand drawing some conceptual designs for a porch addition (my last freelance client) while husband watched a movie across the room.  The credits rolled with Alice Cooper singing I Never Cry - now it's in my head, and I like it!

I was thinking, while working on this project, that maybe it would be much easier to be a successful architect if I didn't like my clients.  I've always been proud and felt fortunate to like my clients, but I wonder if it would be easier to not like them: care less about whether the work is good, and not feel guilty charging them for every single moment I work on it? Yeah, there are downsides to that relationship I know all too well.

Apr 8, 13 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Salary poll doesn't even include my job title. Fine! I don't even work in Architecture. I arrange flowers for NYC Illuminati. 

Apr 9, 13 9:51 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Turd-polisher isn't listed either.

Apr 9, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, I thought of you when I read this about Max Anderson and his wife splitting.

Apr 9, 13 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

@ rusty,  i guess you can be an "other".  thats a good position to have, no?

doesn't really match my business, nor my job as edumacator either.  if i told folks i was professor and not the assistant professor that i am, i would probably get a letter from the dean's office telling me to stop it.  it's like saying you are an architect in USA but still don't have license...very bad form.  but you know, only people in the business give a damn.

we're starting intense 6 day workshop today.  going to be very tired a week from now.

oh and has anyone over here heard of Abe-nomics yet?  financial types are starting to circle the country looking to cash in on new policies.  either we are heading for crazy bubble and crash or the economy will actually start to move out of its 30 year tailspin.  either way we are suddenly getting quite busy.  who knew what governments do could matter to what architects do?

Apr 9, 13 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

UGH, SARAH, I *JUST* HEARD TEN MINUTES AGO AND SERIOUSLY FELT MY HEART BREAK A LITTLE BIT AT THE NEWS.  IT'S VERY SAD - THEY REALLY WERE THE PERFECT COUPLE.

Oh, hahaha, I've been cadding.  Sorry.

But yeah, divorce really depresses me.

Apr 9, 13 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

one of them is writing a book about it though, and they seem pretty cool with it donna.  reads like a discussion from robert heinlein story.  which is sorta cool in itself.

Apr 9, 13 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

Will, are you trying to tell us that we just don't grok the full complexities of their relationship?

Apr 10, 13 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Yup.

More grokking would make the world better place no doubt.
Apr 10, 13 2:55 am  · 
 · 

heh, also uggh i stayed up too late last night...

Apr 10, 13 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Wow, hadn't thought of groking in ages!
Apr 10, 13 8:36 am  · 
 · 

One of my former students from the Governor's School, so a high schooler, was just accepted to Cooper Union.  I'm excited and proud, like a mom or something.

Apr 10, 13 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

YAY!!!

Apr 10, 13 11:35 am  · 
 · 

super yay! she's so awesome.

Apr 10, 13 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Awesomeness and a early Happy Birthday to Super awesome Donna!

Apr 10, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
It's tragic. We need to start a thread on it and call for a boycott of the new project by all architects. If MOMA moves ahead with this I will never step foot in their museum again.
Apr 10, 13 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

The "Museum of Modern Art" is clearly an oxymoronic name.

Apr 10, 13 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

MoMA has me really pissed right now!

Apr 10, 13 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I wonder how much all that copper is worth...

Apr 10, 13 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

In our AIA Board meeting tonight we discussed a local city official who wants to improve the quality of our built environment (yay for city guy!).  One of his ideas was that he wants to have a design review group of some sort, maybe not an official part of the permit process but a group of architects who can provide critique and hopefully helpful commentary on proposed projects.  There was much gnashing of teeth about architects offending other architects and it's a delicate situation and etc, ending with the question: how would we do this?

My response was I'd drink a bourbon and then start talking. It really is that easy.

Apr 11, 13 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Architectural review boards are problematic. If staffed them with architects you invariably have conflicts of ego and interest. If staffed with laymen you're better off not having a review board. Never thought about having them run by AA, but that might actually be the most viable solution.

Apr 12, 13 12:00 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Architectural Review Boards have been around for awhile. I have sat on a couple and sometimes we were saving the Architects Ass....from a cheap ass owner.  Making them rethink the process. Although we never had any real clout, we were an advisory board who passed along a favorable finding to the planning and zoning commission.  It is important to remember your place and review not design. Let their architect do the designing.  There were also lay people involved in the process, which also is not a bad idea.  I found the knee jerk people usually jumped ship quickly when they figured out what  the review board was about. 

I have been on both ends of the stick, and it has helped me in presenting my projects not only to review boards but also to  P&Z, insland wetland boards, and ZBA Boards.

Apr 12, 13 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IMO - should be more like an advisory committee to help move along a zoning appeal process.  You can change the zoning so that certain districts require an appeal for any alteration to the exterior or new construction (most lots in my city are "non-conforming").

I've been through design reviews around here - it's far more collegial and productive than a neighborhood hearing in a place where a bunch of architects live.

Apr 12, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

snook - you beat me to it.

Apr 12, 13 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
I know this is maudlin and corny but seriously: hold the ones you love and tell them so often. I had a very bad fall tonight - I tripped hard and landed throat-first on the wooden back of a folding chair. Called my sister the doctor to see if I should get checked out and she told me what warning signs to be aware of that would mean I should head to the ER. She also told me if I'd landed on something that didn't collapse under the weight of me landing on it with my throat I could easily be dead. I'm currently icing my throat and thanking my lucky stars. It's the stupid accidents, they can get you any time. Be careful out there, 'necters!
Apr 12, 13 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

geebus donna, ease up on hangin with steven and all that harsh kentucky sour mash! glad you be okee dokee.

Apr 13, 13 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: