Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Rusty!

Orhan, your little exercise proved declining interest in architectural education or declining interest in Archinect. Or both.

Mar 21, 12 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Rusty, there is definitely declining interest in architecture ed and competition among the schools for new students is very fierce.

As far as Archinect, it is omni present in the archi universe and in Apple apps. (unfortunately I don't have an I-Phone) I even see it in school studio reading and research/reference lists now. I am told the site is doing great and even better since v.3., which means and translates as it is visited by people other than architects as well.

Mar 22, 12 12:39 am  · 
 · 

best line ever..."it is a bauhaus thing... capitalization is a form of ornament..."

Mar 22, 12 12:48 am  · 
 · 

5468796 makes my dyslexia act up.

congrats rationalist.... pending love beats career if you ask me - the former is always harder to find.

manta I feel the need to say welcome back to the profession, but I believe that can't really leave can you - does your brain stop designing? Probably never.

Donna my apologies for a lack of capitalization... 

Mar 22, 12 12:55 am  · 
 · 

i'm glad i'm not the only one bumfuzzled by 5468796. it makes a good narrative, which has probably helped them gain some traction. i honestly haven't figured out what else has gotten them so much attention: it's good solid work, but....

Mar 22, 12 7:30 am  · 
 · 

good morning all

Hi David! Orhan love that new feature.

Mar 22, 12 8:41 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Rusty, there is definitely declining interest in architecture ed and competition among the schools for new students is very fierce.

Same issue that Law schools are facing - it's now either legacy/rich kids or people who are 100% committed to the profession.  Either people are finding work and not needing to postpone entry into the career by going to grad school, or, more likely, people are realizing that cost of these programs are completely out of whack with real salaries.  why spend 100-200k on an education when your starting salary is less than someone who cleans up garbage on the side of a highway?

the schools that will win are the big names and the schools with large endowments who can offer $$ for the best students.

also - after the tax revolt in the late 70s, California's public education system has gone completely down the tubes.

Mar 22, 12 10:14 am  · 
 · 

competition for students is tough here too.  declining population is part of it, but also some ennui i think.  ironic timing. wish we had more money to throw at really good students.

@steven re 546...i agree they do not fill the scene with the spectacle we are used to lately (and which everyone complains about).  but for an office only a handful of years old they have done well. im looking forward to seeing what they do when they really find their feet. 

school year starts again in a few weeks.  i'm still exhausted from the last one and not remotely caught up.  on bright note will be teaching studio with sejima this term, which am quite looking forward to.

Mar 22, 12 11:12 am  · 
 · 

thanks nam.

will, that is a very bright note. sanaa is the darling of students world over these days.. stand on your ground. (sorry for sounding like an horoscopist.;.)

some schools are becoming more and more outrageous with their offerings to draw attention to their programs. some resorting outright star shows not knowing many are not as sharp as they used to be. ie; sci arc have been hosting eisenman, kipnis (a lecture named "who is moss?" the director of the school) thom mayne, peter cook. if you want to see how agressive a school is for new students, look at their february-march lecture/event rosters.

Mar 22, 12 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I don't know if the star shows really work anymore - top students are usually swayed by how much aid  and other perks they'll get because they know they'll do well at any program.

@will - can you ask sejima how the hell this floor plan is supposed to work?

all corridor on the outside and these weird connecting interstitial spaces where nothing seems to be going on.

Mar 22, 12 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh - and what building code allows something like this?  I'd like to see an egress path drawing for this.  Can you put toilet rooms in staircases like this in europe?  They have no disabled people?  Egress doors don't need to go in the direction of travel?  Square rooms with just couple pieces of furniture?? Can someone please explain to me how this plan is even possible????  It's been bothering me ever since I saw it a few years ago.

Mar 22, 12 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

cheers orhan.  should be fun.  last year's studio (which i still haven't blogged about properly) was pretty good with fumihiko maki.  sejima is quite nice person from the times i have met her so will be interesting to see how she teaches.

our school is kind of different than most.  we still don't have a website and nobody knows about us, but the students are doing amazing stuff - do wish we had more students from overseas though.  since we require students (and staff) to build real stuff it's become kind of like the rural studio but with starchitects on the staff.  when shigeru ban was here students were really into disaster response and that tradition still hangs on, but now they are also building schools in africa and malaysia, etc, which makes it even more cool, i'd say.  as a private school it is more expensive than most in japan but still cheap compared to usa...

@ toasteroven, it looks pretty clear to me as far as function goes. it's an amazing building.  i'm not sure about the toilet in the stairs as a personal thing but in general european standards are high or higher than usa on most every level.  sejima just pushes, but no laws are being broken (obviously). might help to understand if you know the rooms with the gridlines are exterior spaces.

the small boxes are offices facing onto courtyards which connect to large meeting rooms, etc...quite smart really.  i find her work to be unrelenting but the things that are possible as a result are really unexpected and smart. 

Mar 22, 12 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Oh man.  The SANAA plan is lovely, the images of the project even more so.  I absolutely love things that are super-organized, even rigid.

But toaster your rant re: function at code is adorable.  I feel the same way frequently.

About to start my evening of drafting that will run till 2am probably - same as pretty much every night for the last two weeks.  I'm beat.

Mar 22, 12 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ok - that makes more sense - I hadn't seen finished interior pics... just the plan and a bunch of exterior images and how the heating system worked (maybe the furniture in the plan drawing was not to scale?).  Sejima like those inserted exterior spaces - that weekend house she did a while back is one of my favorite buildings of all time.

Donna - If I submitted a plan like that to some building department stateside I'd have to brace myself for the inevitable "wtf?" phone call.  I'm also a fan of relentless grids - very classical.  maybe if Sejima went polar she'd end up with a modern version of the Tempietto san Pietro?

I wonder how much she was influenced by Hejduk... it's his nine-square.

Mar 22, 12 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

4am and just finished the drawings for my code submission tomorrow (today) for the Chopstick project by Vision Division.  It's going to make the code officials say wtf? for sure!

Mar 23, 12 4:04 am  · 
 · 

i expect indy has its own code enforcement so you don't have to submit to indiana's version of code enforcement, the department of homeland security - which always cracks me up.

i would have submitted the bare minimum, like house builders do here: plan and one wall section, baby. then you *really* would have gotten a 'wtf?'!  

congratulations on reaching this landmark! let's have some bourbon to celebrate!

Mar 23, 12 7:12 am  · 
 · 

cool donna!  that's such a great project.

tonight we're up late finishing up drawings for contract with builder to be signed tomorrow.  construction to begin like next week!  such a nice feeling to finally get past a deadline finally (hopefully saying it won't jinx us).

Mar 23, 12 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Steven, that is such a logical assumption about Indy that of course it is wrong.  We never do things smartly here.  I potentially was going to have to go through Department of Homeland Security, but I land in the area of the Lucky Exemption: less than 500 SF, 1 story.  Still have to pull a stormwater review, though, for a building with a footprint of 73sf  within a 100 acre park - so the structure is .0017th of 1/100th the area of the property.  Sigh.

Mar 23, 12 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh - I see, you'd have to brace yourself for the rectal exam.

WTF - Homeland security?

Mar 23, 12 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

toaster, here's a view of the [ambulatory?] space that level of the zollverein. it's actually a stunning project.

as for bathrooms in the stair cores (treppenhaus, i think) - i've seen that, too. the door swings do seem... odd. it might be more of an idealized plan, maybe?

Mar 23, 12 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

donna....I like wtf.....I have been working for some major art players this last month....and I love working on there projects as it feels like they have alot more respect for me than my new major money project be some one not to be mentioned....but it pays the bill.

Mar 23, 12 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

homeland security?! wtf is insufficient. 

Mar 24, 12 8:08 am  · 
 · 

Drinkin' beer outside with ms sink. Beautiful evening. Life is good.

Mar 24, 12 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

SOMEONE JUST STOLE MY REAR WHEEL, in front of my apartment, in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY!  With tons of well-heeled passersby on my street!  And presumably no one DID anything to stop them!!!  They even took the CASSETTE!!!  ARGHHHHHH

Man, I've never had something I care about be stolen before.  It really feels violating.

Mar 24, 12 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Plus I discovered this 15 minutes after my bike shop closed for the day, so I am out of luck for all the errands I was going to run tonight.  What a bunch of jerks.

Mar 24, 12 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

That sucks manta. I wish people realized that stealing parts of your bike is equivalent to stealing someone's car. An acquaintance reminded me that horse-theiving used to be punishable by hanging, and while I think that's going a bit extreme I certainly think something could be done to remind people that stealing the transportation of another person compromises their livelihood in a severe way.

Now I have to go through all the craptastic resumes of the people who are applying to replace me... I am continually horrified by how misguided the applicants are. I have applicants who don't bother to send resumes, some who don't bother to send work samples, many whose resumes signal that they don't know the first thing about design, and many more who have subsisted for years doing a completely different type of work (1-page ads, logos for tiny crappy companies) and make no acknowledgement that they are trying to move up in the work or make any sort of change and simply present this as though no explanation is needed as to why they're applying to a job completely different than what they've ever done before. Not only are these people not demonstrating the design skills I'm looking for, they aren't demonstrating common sense or awareness of the industry.

Mar 26, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist - that makes it easier to spot the right candidate. but you still have to wade through the poop.

Manta - I'm waiting for the actual invention of the electrified bike anti-theft system that William Gibson described in Virtual Light:

But it was really just an accident that the frame hit his gun. She saw an inch of lightning arc between her bike and the pistol, hot purple and thick as your finger, the particle-brake capacitors in the up-tube emptying their stored charge into the anti-theft system worked into the fake rust and the carefully frayed silver duct-tape. He went down on his knees, eyes unfocused, a single silver bubble of spit forming and bursting between his half-open lips. She thought she saw steam curl from the gun in his hand.

Not that this helps get your wheel back.

Mar 26, 12 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

great book and great idea.  gibson is great.

being robbed sucks.  at least it wasn't by gunpoint (hows that for a bright side?)

speaking of crime AIJ, and investment fund in japan, just was caught falsifying documents to cover up the loss of more than a billion dollars.  a billion!  so much for my pension fund ;-)

sounds fun rationalist. At least it is for worthy cause.

Mar 26, 12 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

will, you have pretty much owned that donna thread. some fantastic counterarguments. a green tea cookie for you!

So 3rd week of being in NYC and things are looking very good. Just the other day I found a free bicycle wheel. Wasn't even tied down to nothing. You just had to pop it off and go. 

Mar 26, 12 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

rusty, you took the job? are you in nyc? (been off the threads a while..)

anyway, wlecome.  and sorry to hear about your bike, manta....that really sucks....

Mar 26, 12 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

lol rusty.  who says a long commute on a train isn't good for anything?  in my defense, at least it is keeping me off the streets.

funny i see bicycle wheels all over the place too.  actually whole bikes would be more accurate.  tokyo is so safe few people use proper locks at all. most of japan is like that, except around the ports.  damn russian sailors (and i mean that in the nicest way possible) seem to feel an unlocked bike means nobody wants it, even if its in someone's front yard. isn't it great how multi-cultural interaction works?

glad you are happy in nyc.  very coolio!

Mar 26, 12 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

i realized why i don't capitalize on the forums - it's faster to type in all lower case.

Mar 27, 12 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

if you had tadao ando for 15-20 minutes interview, what would you ask him? (minus about boxing, i don't want to bore the guy)

Mar 28, 12 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Just realized I'm only 122 miles from Donna for the rest of the week. Too bad I didn't rent a car for a roadtrip to Indy...

Mar 28, 12 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'd ask ando about his dog.  i saw him at a lecture thing a few years back.  he has some pretty impressive work

Mar 28, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

if you had tadao ando for 15-20 minutes interview, what would you ask him? (minus about boxing, i don't want to bore the guy)

I'd ask him about his hairdo.

Mar 28, 12 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Why he won't allow people to photograph his buildings on the inside.  I mean, sure, architects are proud of their work, but come on!  Some of us like to check out details.

Mar 28, 12 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

And are we bringing the photo header back?  Way to go, Barry!  And as for Donna, I bet she has a car....

Mar 28, 12 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

might be interesting to hear what he thinks of the years of excess that the world of archtiecture just went through.  he is also doing the massive projects for oil rich nations, but the work remains quiet, taciturn, self-referential.  why the constancy?  even when shifting from one nation to another, his work is still interior-looking.

a tough question could be what does he want to learn next.  or what inspires him to try new things....

Mar 28, 12 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Tadao Ando is one of those figures that exudes greatness, as humble as he is. Orhan asked him some great questions about LA and how he perceives the architects responsibility at the urban scale. We briefly discussed a house he designed which is under construction in Malibu. I asked him to offer advice to struggling young architects. Overall it was a great experience. The interview will be published as soon as we can get it together.

Oh, and toasteroven, his hair was a masterpiece. Same as always, but tinted purple in the front!

Mar 28, 12 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been on a hay ride for the past week or so.  Alot of thingiisee.. in the works. I have been dancing with the devil...doing bars....and .....Arks...and eating places....and working with a Spanish Architect..yooser...and we call this architecture....with a big "A"

Mar 28, 12 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah - I'm heading through DFW Saturday morning. Have a 3 1/2 hour layover - any suggestions of what to do?

Blogged about Beth Meyer's evolving manifesto on the beauty of sustainability earlier tonight - it was a good talk that got me thinking (not that I have time to take on another publication).

Mar 28, 12 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan i don't see how you could ever bore anybody...

And shout-out to Barry for bringing back an old TC tradition. Also happy bday Steven! Hope it was a good one.

Mar 28, 12 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Hey I'm on vacation this week and managing to only work about 6 hours a day! Wahoo!!!

Barry I'm in Arizona.  Sadly.

Mar 29, 12 1:23 am  · 
 · 

that was a lot of fun with paul, alex, kaori, ando and the whole entourage.. ando=real mccoy

Mar 29, 12 11:46 am  · 
 · 

funny about the hair.  my prof and ando shared a studio at u of tokyo 10 years ago and i don't remember it being purple, sounds like a new thing.  it is common here amongst the older generation to color hair pink and purple - i really couldn't say why.  im too shy to ask anyone directly.

looking forward to interview !

Mar 29, 12 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Unless something was lost in the translation, I recall Ando mentioning that he still boxes.

Mar 29, 12 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Barry, the great DFW airport is a city unto its self, and in the middle of nowhere.  Add to that, it will take you 45 minutes to an hour and a half to get back through security if you leave the place.....

I recommend you get trashed, and read a book, at one of the sports bars.  The waitresses I've had the few times I've waited there have been friendly, and poor the drinks liberally, and I'm a GIRL!!!  But don't try the food or drinks in a Chilis or other recognizable chain.  Yuck!

If it were a day long layover, then I'd suggest lunch and a personal tour of someplace.

Mar 29, 12 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Orhan-

I would ask Ando about Wabi Sabi and this interest and, I assume, love of concrete. What inspired him to see the beauty in what can be such a utilitarian and harsh material?

Mar 29, 12 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Seems like 'Academia' discussions have pretty much killed anything else on this forum.

Went to an architecture after party last night with an old friend. Lots of starchitect employees getting trashed at the open bar. Based on this ridicilously low sample, key to working for a famous architect is:

-be good looking

-don't be ugly looking

-be a white European hipster.

There were almost no American born designers in sight. The Euros took-err jobs!

Mar 30, 12 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: