Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

my first year students presenting today. it is their first ever design studio final jury crit.

here is one of the models which is an exercise on spatiality, materials, casting, composition, etc...

Mar 5, 12 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Orhan, that's beautiful.  Is that all stacked chip board?  I imagine lots of xacto blades and 'claw' hands.

Mar 5, 12 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

thank you sarah. yes, it is a stacked museum board and a lot of blades and claw hands.;.)

Mar 5, 12 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, how did you keep them from using the laser cutter?

Sarah - Pappy Van Winkle is bourbon, haven't tried it yet.

Over on infrascape I'm amused by all the folks who drank the CNU koolaid and making comments after Kunstler said that I was the official website for Heizer's Levitated Mass. Thank you JH for doubling the visitors to my blog!

Mar 5, 12 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Hey Donna, thanks for mention the draftsight, I got a new computer recently with windows 7 and I'm using ds, it seems more stable than that old old cad. I also installled inkscape for my illustrator. So far everything is really good!

Mar 5, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Barry, I figured it was something like that, but it was more fun to read it the other way.

Mar 5, 12 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, thanks for the comment on my blog, very apropos.

Mar 5, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

OMG OMG OMG tumbles are these your baby goats?!?

Mar 5, 12 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, you guys, if I could do yoga every day I could take on the entire world. #senseofwellbeing, for a change.

Mar 6, 12 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yoga never did much for me.  Mostly, I would want to take a nap after because I was so relaxed.  And then I wouldn't get much done for the rest of the day.

Mar 6, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Just spent a very frustrating two hours trying to print my drawings as pdfs.  I've gotten pretty good at using Draft Sight, but its entire printing logic is totally opaque to me.  Sometimes things work one way, sometimes another.  Sadly all my pdfs are huge on it, but not much I can do about that it seems.

Mar 7, 12 12:48 am  · 
 · 
blah

Donna,

Try PDF Shrink.

Wm

Mar 7, 12 8:11 am  · 
 · 

William, I have a "PDF reduction scheme" widget on my desktop, found it after a long internet search of other people, with Mac Lion, with the same issue.  It reduced my 20meg 24x36 drawings down to 13.7megs, so that helped, but a 24x36 sheet should be more like a single meg, not 14!

I have varying luck depend on if I use the Export to pdf option from the pulldown menu in the plot window vs. the Save as pdf option in the corner of the plot screen.  But my bigger problem last night was getting the selected portion of the drawing to plot instead of every damn window on the sheet tab.  Very confusing.  

Mar 7, 12 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Oooh! Just found Draft Sight's YouTube channel and am currently watching a webinar on Using Print Configurations…I anticipate my questions will all soon be answered...

Mar 7, 12 9:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

How about PDF Creator.  That's a FOSS project on sourceforge.  It fixes a bunch of problems I've had with Adobe (but then kind of creates new ones).  PDF Creator would be added as a new pdf printer, so you print to that printer.

Mar 7, 12 9:24 am  · 
 · 

i have no idea why this works, but it has always worked for me... although i usually do this with indesign or photoshop files i'm sure it would work with cad too...

try saving/export as an .eps file instead of a pdf... then use adobe distiller to change it from an eps to a pdf... this usually gets files in the 20-30MB range down to about 1MB or so...

Mar 7, 12 10:36 am  · 
 · 

curtkram - I used to do beta testing for IntelliCAD - they are mirror programme for AutoCAD but is PC based. Much like DraftSight is mac. 

Mar 7, 12 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

can you print to pdf donna?

have any of you seen this before/after series from tohoku? it's quite amazing to see the transformation in a year. 

Mar 7, 12 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

looks like the schools admissions decisions are starting to be released... brace yourselves for a few hundred _______ vs. ________ threads...

Mar 8, 12 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

thought I'd cross reference my recent comment on greg's blog here.

is this completely nuts? Was IDP created to keep architecture largely white and male?  I know this sounds crazy, but in order to get licensed you need experience - and getting hired is largely reliant on who you are and your personality.  We cannot deny that being white, male, connected, and a bit of an asshole has its advantages in our profession, but if you are none of these things you have to be exceptionally talented otherwise it's much harder to get anywhere in this field.  IMO - eliminate IDP as a barrier to licensure and perhaps suddenly our profession starts looking more diverse. It does need to be replaced with something that assures a certain level of competency, but maybe this would help change things for the better...

I don't know if I'm completely off-base here... but the fact that IDP was created in Mississippi in the 70s under the guise of "assuring a certain level of competency" leads me to believe that something is amiss.

Mar 8, 12 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I know I will never finish IDP. I gave up on the job market 2 years ago. There is no reason that an employer would hire me, with my 3 years experience that is 4 years stale, over a recent college grad. Is the profession missing out by losing me? I'd like to think so, but instead, I'll just try to insert my genius by warping the young minds of my students. Is architecture a male-dominated field? I have no doubt. I still wonder if my having a young child, and having to deal with all the things that come with an infant, was a deciding factor in letting me go over other, less productive, employees. Sure, I goofed off on Archinect, but I did the work, and was a thinker. I always asked questions. Maybe that was a factor. My only consultation was that the two other less productive employees were let go 4 months later.

Mar 8, 12 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

Didn't know IDP was pioneered in ol' Miss. That explains why it's so onerous and punitive like all those voter suppression laws that are being passed to keep the poor/colored from voting.   Yes, if IDP is eliminated, architecture would gain diversity.

Mar 9, 12 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Thought-provoking post, toaster.

I really really want to engage in the discussion on Gregory's blog - he's always good - but you guys I am so, so, so overworked and exhausted right now.

Mar 9, 12 6:43 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

check out the following comment from DAS99 - so it turns out IDP actually made it easier for people who were facing discrimination to fulfill the apprenticeship requirement - very interesting.

I'm glad that someone rebutted my argument - it feels like a real discussion.

Mar 9, 12 10:24 am  · 
 · 

hey will re: your post on the before/after images from Japan

I thought this article from today's NYT further highlights some of the challenges facing Japan post Fukushima Japan’s Nuclear Energy Industry Nears Shutdown, at Least for Now

specifically this passage "All but two of Japan’s 54 commercial reactors have gone offline since the nuclear disaster a year ago, after the earthquake and tsunami, and it is not clear when they can be restarted. With the last operating reactor scheduled to be idled as soon as next month, Japan — once one of the world’s leaders in atomic energy — will have at least temporarily shut down an industry that once generated a third of its electricity."

Mar 9, 12 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

I was just listening to an NPR report on the clean up efforts.  Seems to me cleanup is truly impossible, in part because what do you do with all the contaminated dirt and roots you pull out, where does it go?  Seems to me the best solution is make the area entirely off limits except for setting up a long-term study to analyze how various plants, etc. might do a clean up job better than we humans (who made the mess) can anyway.  A 500-year long study.

Mar 9, 12 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

in fukushima that may happen donna.  but this is japan where there is nowhere to go, so i guess it will be more like hiroshima.  if you go to hiroshima now you cannot tell a nuclear bomb was dropped there some 65 years ago.  the area of devestation is massive.  a coastline hundreds of km long.  20,000 dead and muliples of that number displaced, the answer should be very smart...but i guess it will be merely practical. 

except this nuclear issue is forcing change.  losing so much of the country's energy all at once like that is really leading to a rethink.  here is hoping it will lead to innovation.

Mar 9, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Will, does farming happen in Hiroshima?  Do people eat produce from there?

Mar 9, 12 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Donna - excellent question, you get an 'A'!

Just wrapped up the last day of winter quarter. Now I wait till all the work gets submitted before issuing 'A' to everybody that bothered to do the work. The student-generated videos from studio were amazingly good - can't wait to share them.

This week I also submitted two grant proposals - one is seed grant to help develop a larger external grant proposal (last year they gave the $ to 40% of the faculty that applied - pretty good odds), the other is to establish a 'sustainability educators network' at Cal Poly (much lower odds as there will be only one or two awards and lots more folks probably applied).

Now I can start prepping for my trip to beautiful Urbana-Champagne at the end of the month for the CELA conference.

Mar 10, 12 12:30 am  · 
 · 

i know that people died from eating the radioactive food after the explosion in hiroshima but farming is as far as i know the same now as the rest of japan.  hiroshima's bombing was a horror but maybe not as long-lasting impact as you might think.

fukushima is worse than hiroshima though and anyway was already losing population to aging society issues, so who knows what will happen.  around fukushima perhaps the area will be abandoned, but the rest of the coast is a problem.  moving is not easy simply because there is no open land to move to.  all the land is already in use.

ask me again next year though.  will be spending some time on reconstruction planning this year and part of our team's research project will be to find ways to bring back fukushima.  amazing what students of archtiecture are learning nowadays. quite different from the design-driven lessons i had way back when....

Mar 10, 12 7:46 am  · 
 · 

thought of you when i saw this, donna

Mar 10, 12 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Nice coop, Will.  I asked about the farming because that was the main focus of the radio piece I heard - apparently the area was mainly agricultural and the ability to farm or graze dairy cows is really compromised, not to mention fishing.  But I had forgotten Hiroshima really was similar - I kept thinking of Chernobyl and how it's a no-man's land.

Interviewed 22 potential architecture summer program students yesterday.  I actually love seeing them before they become actual architecture students: jaded, cynical, exhausted, and snooty.  In other words, like I am, still.

Mar 11, 12 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

chernobyl, now, is supposedly more like a lush wildlife preserve - since the people haven't come back.

Mar 11, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

fukushima may end up the same.  lots of that long half-life radiation in the ground which is really scary.  i guess hirsohima and nagasaki avoided that (just guessing). 

recent article in the ny times describes how people were left behind after the power plant went bad.  it is hard to blame anyone but is very disturbing and feels like we all need to be better prepared.  for me it makes me glad that only 2 nuclear power plants are still running right now. 

on other hand we just got a letter in the mail saying our electricity rates are going to go up soon to force people to conserve more.  the effects of the tohoku disaster are far from over. cameron sinclair has this saying that we should "build back better".  I really hope we do cuz just re-building what we had before ain't gonna be enough.  actually we need to not only build back better but simply build better in general.  that may be harder.

Mar 11, 12 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm helping my cousin look for a job in my city because she wants to relocate here.  Findings: A city that may have 0-4 architecture jobs advertised at any one time had over 300 chemical engineering jobs that turned up in a 2 second search. Conclusion: That just makes me feel like a dumbass. Pissed at architecture.

Mar 12, 12 8:54 am  · 
 · 

why? did you give up chemical engineering to become an architect?

in bangkok for 4 days to discuss climate change at UN.  asia is really getting serious about this stuff.  quite amazing.  thomas friedman really seems to have it right.  the hunger for change and improvement is not in usa anymore its out here. 

its very encouraging to see so much energy on this topic in the air.  most likely cuz everyone here knows climate change adaptation needs to happen from daily life (instead of wasting time denying it like neo-cons back home).  i may be the only architect in the building though.

Mar 12, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Will, wish I could be there too. While it's frustrating to be the only designer at shindigs like that, it also means you can reap all the benefits and possible projects. good luck figuring out how to make the future better.

Mar 12, 12 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Will, I was always told I should have been an engineer, and do often wonder what if I could have been a thoughtful, charismatic and creative engineer instead of a beat down architect.

Mar 12, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I think steven ward is trying to drum up support to do the same thing with the rudolph building as archinect did with the breuer library.  I'm on board (as much as I can help - even though I'm acting like a bit of an ass on that thread), but I don't know who is local up in that part of NY - it looks about an hour outside of NYC... so maybe it's an opportunity for students and some people in the area looking to brush up on their programming/preservation skills...

Mar 12, 12 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

oh hooray, I can post anonymously. Which is awesome, because I really want to share that I had an awesome interview last week and am doing the second round tomorrow. Fingers crossed, I have a good feeling about this one...

Mar 12, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

congrats, rationalist!  good luck!

I really like that chicken coop - pretty amazing what you can do structurally with chicken wire.  people clandestinely keep chickens in my neighborhood - so their illicit structures are pretty inventive - one guy has his coop built/carved into his hedges in the back of a rather dense garden.  anyway - the city is planning on changing zoning in the next year so it'll be legal, which is great, but I like discovering these hidden coops and being in on the secret.

there's also a lot vertical/container gardens around - but since we're in the process of gentrifying it's this mix of martha stewart meets urban ag, and something held together by bits of string, wire, duct tape, and made out of things you find on the side of a highway.  I like the funkiness of it all - I'm really looking forward to growing season.

Mar 12, 12 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

congrats, rationalist... if my memory is correct and you (rationalist) are who i think you are in the real world, is it the job that i sent you via facebook?

Mar 12, 12 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

no Phil, and I meant to reply to that. It was a lovely thought but I'm not in a position to relocate right now because I'm trying to give it a real shot with the Irrational Man and he's pretty firmly rooted where we are right now. This is a tad more local. Hope to be able to tell y'all more later this week.

Mar 12, 12 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

good luck rationalist!

yeah barry, there is some of that.  not why i came, but some interesting synergies.

there ain't any of the "i always thought about being an architect" going on though, which is very cool.  no frustrated wanna be designers but people really engaged in their own thing and seeing architecture as a tool to get somewhere...i really dig it.

that rudolph building is really great looking.  can understand why no one likes it though.  looks tough to use in a practical way.  it would be a real shame if it was turned to rubble and replaced with a colonial shed like in the proposals.

hidden chicken coops are great!  there is not so much of that in tokyo, but some people are into edible landscapes which is almost as fun.

Mar 13, 12 12:18 am  · 
 · 

toaster - i'm not really trying to campaign for another grosse point/mapa effort, primarily because i know that i couldn't participate. such an effort would need to be instigated by those who can do the heavy lifting. 

i also don't think that kind of effort would really be effective - at least not in the long term. it would be cool if some design folks could show the community the potential for the ocgc, but the really hard work would be in fully understanding the center, its potential, and how to implement it. i.e., time and commitment. 

its best hope is for a sympathetic firm with real preservation skills to be engaged - an east coast version of marmol radziner, for example. marmol radziner's revitalizations of l.a. neutras are wonderful. and they're pretty good at honoring the original while adapting it to contemporary life - exactly what ocgc needs. 

Mar 13, 12 7:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

steven - let's hope someone local picks up the cause.  maybe the NYC AIA needs to be made aware...

Mar 13, 12 8:24 am  · 
 · 

I'm sorry all you smart, funny, charming and wonderful people, but seriously, the lack of capitalization in your posts makes them significantly harder for me to read.  I'm a lousy typist, myself, but is hitting the shift key at the beginning of each sentence - and when you're identifying yourself in the first person?  Don't you deserve respect from yourself?! - really more taxing than not?  I don't understand it.

Now if this practice of non-capitalization relates also to your daily commitment to not wearing pants, I get it:  you're operating on a plane of casualness I will never inhabit.

Mar 14, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

it is a bauhaus thing... capitalization is a form of ornament...

and i'm only half-way joking... if you look at any german modernist architectural text from the 1910s and 1920s there is no capitalization, which makes translating german all the more difficult since they capitalize all of their nouns...

Mar 14, 12 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I write in caps all day long - either noting drawings or yelling at someone in e-mail.

Mar 14, 12 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

So, I got it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited. I had to do the negotiation thing, which I hate, but it turned out all right. And I'll finally be working for someone whose work I really like and respect, where there's room for growth.

Now I just have to figure out how to tell my current place...

Mar 14, 12 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: