Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Naturlich.  I smile when I say it out loud.

Feb 27, 12 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

i agree with toasteroven.  i'm in crazy competitive environment and we survive by our contacts not our cad skills.  said before my partner is not cad magician but his other skills make him very valuable.  better to blame on bad economy instead of systemic problems with profession no?

still it is sad that he is out of a job.  that is never a good thing.

Feb 27, 12 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

yeah - it's tough for everyone right now...  I feel lucky that our office still has work trickling in... 

One thing that really bothers me is seeing the unpaid internship and contractor vs employee thing crop up every once and a while, then get buried down several pages - I think archinect should provide at least links to resources in the employment section so that recent grads (and employers) can decide whether or not they want to knowingly break labor laws (and the risks of breaking said laws).  I know this is a US centric request (maybe it's not as prevalent elsewhere?), but, IMO, education is the first step towards someone being able to advocate for themselves.

Feb 28, 12 11:15 am  · 
 · 

it's snowing in tokyo today.  almost never happens and always so short that winter is usually more a formality than anything. but today is almost like canada.  view from my office (at uni) is usually mostly green, but today is white.  gotta admit quite like my over-glazed modernist box on days like today.

Feb 28, 12 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

That's beautiful, Will.  We didn't really get enough snow this year.

Feb 28, 12 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

its very nice to see it snow, though the trains were crazy packed this morning and slow.  a few centimeters of snow is enough to slow down even a well-organized place like tokyo.  not sure how many thousands (or hundreds of thousands) use the line every day but it sure makes for a packed trip when it don't all go right....

Feb 28, 12 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah, will - you have it lucky. we get 1cm of snow and the entire northwest goes nutso and shuts down. weirdest thing i ever saw

Feb 28, 12 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

hah!  just annoyingly long commute here, but maybe for japan that is the equivalent of going crazy.  at least there is no nuclear cloud hanging over us this time.

it all is a reminder that our cities are not particularly resilient creations at least in the short term.  architects maybe need to start thinking about that sorta stuff so we can party instead of worry about the snow and the floods and cetera...

Feb 28, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Guten Morgen.. All sunshine here in temporary Gregory Ain land! 38 degrees outside, a freezing temp by LA standarts...

Feb 29, 12 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Good morning Orhan! been busy? haven't seen you around these parts much...

Love the back to back(ish) photos of the same view. kind of meta with Archinect in window on a screen framed in a window

Feb 29, 12 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Hi Nam, yes.

Here is a sneak peek of the recent activities. Two houses up from Tierman house with above views, my friends Unruh-Boyer is fixing up this Ain below, Orans residence (might as well be Orhan's residence.;.)

I am flat broke until payday tomorrow but I have been staying in, researching, enjoying these architectural beauties in last few days and getting some writing done. Like they say, money isn't everything...

The actual interiors are really beautiful with years of use and clutter/patina but the photos I can't publish yet. Stay tuned...

Feb 29, 12 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

cool orhan

we are working on house for client that has aspirations for this era of american architecture, but on a flag-shaped site with neighbors on 4 sides and just a lane connecting to road.  since the request we bin studying the typologies.  quite amazing stiff in american housing back then.   pity it wasn't copied more.

just had another earthquake.  pretty big this time mag 5.4.  nothing like your home feeling like walking in a canoe (and still sitting down).

Feb 29, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Will, hope everybody is safe! this quake hasn't hit the news wires yet this side of the pacific.

-B

Feb 29, 12 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

not big enough to cause damage so i guess won't be in the news.  but big enough to worry my kids and to send the ceiling lamps swinging for 10 minutes.  amazingly my train was not delayed at all.  a cm of snow will stop the trains but a pretty big earthquake?  no problem!

Feb 29, 12 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

God, Wang Shu's work just makes me want to chuck it all and get a job at Target.  It's incredible, so real.

Glad you're safe, will.

Feb 29, 12 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

donna.

there are a number of folks lately that make me want to give it up and just go move boxes. it's great to see shu finally get some recognition.

Mar 1, 12 12:09 am  · 
 · 

JH Kunstler is clueless - I'm not the official site of Michael Heizer's Levitated Mass.

Mar 1, 12 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

kunstler would bemoan stonehenge if it were built today, apparently.

Mar 1, 12 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

am sure you have done something otherwise wrong, barry.  obviously your interest in infrastructure makes you suspect and dangerous.  possibly an alien (with antenna)

is kunstler actually FOR anything?  he sure does complain a hecka lot.  seems like he is more outa touch the older he gets. 

Mar 1, 12 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm starting to wonder if it is because he lives in an old house  with Lead Paint...

Mar 1, 12 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, snook, that's a good theory.

Mar 1, 12 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

that could explain it

Mar 1, 12 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Argh, drafting with this so-called "smart mouse" is making me crrrraaaazzzyyy!!!

Mar 1, 12 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

thanks to Levitated Mass (and Kunstler) page views of my blog doubled yesterday and are on track for similar levels today. 

Lead paint could explain a lot - maybe he's just bitter about being redundant/obsolete with Duany - that also explains a lot. Now if he hadn't been so critical about Heizer, I sort of like his paintings (lots of power lines and infrastructure), but now they are an easy target for representing his lack of sophistication about art as they are derivatively impressionistic (really, who paints contemporary urban landscapes as stylistically like a Monet?)

Mar 1, 12 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

Well, my "smart mouse" accidentally got broken when it sorta kinda fell off my desk and landed on the other side of the room.  So I'm back to my old wheel mouse and OMG is drafting easier!

Mar 1, 12 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

don't ding the walls or floor there, chuck.

Mar 2, 12 7:14 am  · 
 · 

lol donna.  i gots me a logitec wireless that kills the mac mouse.  sometimes mac lets looks triumph over reason.

@ barry, that sounds about right.  being made redundant with duany must really tick him off after all the hoopla of the last decades.  hilarious you get more readers.

that thread about the end of architecture profession is very interesting read.  quite thoughtful. 

Mar 2, 12 9:30 am  · 
 · 
blah

Orhan,

I like the post on the houses. We are trying to help save the small Schindler house here in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Hopefully I'll have more information soon!

Mar 2, 12 11:32 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm doing something good for my life....getting another dog!  Headed out to go pic up my Princess...

Mar 2, 12 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

it seems like the recent trend in my neighborhood is to either get a dog or have a baby.  either way you're spending a lot of time cleaning up poop.

Mar 2, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

you only need to clean up a baby's poop for a few years, not the decade or so that you'd be scooping dog poop.

Mar 2, 12 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

baby poop is far more labor intensive - I think it evens out.

Mar 2, 12 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Barry,

Ya I know but I don't have to send them off to college to get a  Architectural Masters Degree, just so they can work a waiters and waitresses and still make more money than they would working in an architectural  office. 

She is a real sweetheart!  Alot bigger than we thought she would be but their is alot more to love.. Frito Jack is kinda wondering what the heck is going on but he will sort it out over the next couple of weeks.

ya baby poop is way more intensive smell and messy.... my friend always used to say, " I can hardly wait for them to become humanbeings...and use the toilet." 

Mar 2, 12 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

What is a smart mouse?

Mar 2, 12 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

William, I'd love to find more about the Schindler House in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Please update whenever you can.

Mar 2, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

this is magic mouse, sarah

some cool functions and some of the regular mac issues too.

Mar 3, 12 1:06 am  · 
 · 

I will say the magic mouse is FANTASTIC for web surfing.  Totally sucks for drafting - it zooms way in and way out all over the place.

Mar 3, 12 10:04 am  · 
 · 

I wrote this in 2007:

I'm sure they do enjoy our "passionate community" but when that community dissolves because we all have to find another way to make a living they'll probably miss us.

Mar 3, 12 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

goodness, BIG is blowing up the job board. some lucky duck h.r. person got to come in on a saturday to publish all those listings. 

Mar 4, 12 8:09 am  · 
 · 

Donna I thought i was the only one suffering with the magic mouse. I invariably have to turn the scroll off just when I'm drafting and turn it back on. Frustrating if you have stop, do a random search online (def. pro of the magic mouse) then draft again.

Also how are you enjoying Draftsight?? Who the hell needs AutoCAD for mac? I'm a big supporter of OSS (open source software) for small offices. Now if I could only find an open source replacement for Photoshop & Vectorworks I'd be in nirvana

Mar 4, 12 10:37 am  · 
 · 

I am almost totally loving Draft Sight.  I still have some issues I cannot, cannot figure out how to resolve, but overall it's a blessing.

Mar 4, 12 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I remember acad R14 and below didn't even support the scroll wheel. It involved inputing lots of Ps and Zs just to move around the bloody thing. Acad is now specifically designed to work with scrollwheel mice only. It's OK to have multiple input devices on your computer. It's not Apple's fault. At least not this time. 

In other news, 6 days before the big move back to NYC. Recession is officially over. Companies are finally again struggling to find qualified talent. As an industry outlier, the change is drastic from what I was seeing couple of years ago. 

Mar 4, 12 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

that's good to hear rusty,  seems like busier here too.  we are having a hella time getting builders to show interest in building for us lately and somehow we have more work than we imagined possible not so long ago.  still tough to make it work, but seems like it might be getting better.  fingers crossed its an actual trend, and for everyone.

Mar 4, 12 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

I tried Pappy Van Winkle's 23 year old for the first time tonight.  Wow.  Delicious.

Mar 4, 12 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

is that dolphin house guy for real?

Mar 5, 12 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, since I have no idea what Pappy Van Winkle is, your comment seems a bit inappropriate.

And has anybody seen this?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pCvx5gSnfW4

Why hasn't anyone else come up with this?  And if they have, why isn't it shown on the History Channel?

Mar 5, 12 10:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Is the flagged comment to flag spam, things you take offense at, or things you like?

David, GIMP is the FOSS alternative to Photoshop.  Maybe Intellicad would be the OSS alternative to Vecorworks, but at the moment I don't think I like where they're going.  I should probably look into that one more someday.  Wikipedia has a list of advertisements if you went there, too.

Sarah, have you seen this?  It's not moving by just being clever so much as teamwork, but still interesting.

Mar 5, 12 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram you beat me to it. i was going to mentioned GIMP which I have used at work a bit.. seems to work alright although i imagine there might be a bit of a learning curve if you are used to Adobe products.

Mar 5, 12 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Curt, that was insane!  What a testament to quality construction.

Mar 5, 12 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

who the heck is anni99?  I think  have been hacked..in archinect...this is snooker.. help needed from big guys ar Archinect.

Mar 5, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: