Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

berlinera

yuqiaog

congretulation!

Can you share your portfolio?

I am going to apply next year and want some reference as I am not also from architecture background.

Mar 8, 15 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
lalona

Hi,

I'm an international student trying to decide on Columbia AAD and Cornell M.Arch 2 programs.

I got a 20K offer from Cornell, where Columbia doesn't offer any scholarships for international students.

Which school do you think would be better for connections with professionals? I also want to get better with softwares like Rhino, Maya and learn some scripting with Grasshopper during the program. The expenses of Columbia will be much more for sure since it is in the city.. Any advice? 

Thanks in advance

Mar 9, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Has anyone admitted to Yale received more information other than the notification online?

Mar 9, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
sirhc

@archhopeful

Not yet. I think it'll come sometime this week? I have some questions for you, so, you got into tons of excellent programs so far. What's your top 3 preference at this point? And, how likely is it for you to choose something other than GSD?

Mar 9, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@sirhc

My top 3 preferences are GSD, Yale and WashU (depending on an aid offer from Penn, WashU was very generous). My favorite program is Yale though...I know that's a bit unusual, so I'm hoping to find people who are in/have been in a similar decision position to talk about it with. What are you thinking?

Mar 9, 15 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
dannyviln

Has anyone heard anything form Pratt or Parsons (M.ARCH I)?

Mar 9, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@archhopeful

Mine is Yale, GSAPP, and UCLA at this point, but still waiting for Princeton, MIT, and UPenn. Yale is 2 years for me while UCLA/Michigan are 1 year so that's a huge factor. Facility is important for me and I've visited the GSAPP, loved the campus but architecture building wasn't that impressive. Same story for UCLA. Never visited Yale, so I'm thinking of going to its open house, super excited. Yale is an amazing school and it's not unusual to show some love! But what makes you like Yale's program more than GSD/WashU's?

Mar 9, 15 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@sirhc I'm going in for three years, so a few things. I love the first year housing project (http://architecture.yale.edu/student-life/vlock-building-project) for the M.Arch I students. There is also a lot of opportunity to travel (summer after second year to Rome, and about a week/advanced studio) - I never got to study abroad in college, so this is a huge draw. On my visit to the GSD I got the impression that very few students actually get to do any traveling related to their studies.

When I visited both GSD and YSOA in the fall, the professors at Yale (particularly Eisenman whose studio I sat in on) seemed so much more engaged with their students. It appeared that there was a great sense of community fostered between students and professors, which of course is made easier by Yale's smaller size. Finally, just having heard students from both schools speaking, Yale seems to have a much "healthier" environment - I'm not sure if that makes much sense to anyone else, but it was sort of just a gut feeling I got.

I didn't get to go to Columbia's fall open house, but I did peak into the building. There was no one there to greet or provide any information on the schools, the building is very old and not updated, and studio spaces are cramped. Yale's building was just refurbished a few years ago. Their studios are quite large and all with flexible, open space. On top of that, Yale is the only school I know of that provides their students with desktop computers (including two monitors).

WashU was very nice and the biggest draw is the financial offer, but their facilities (and St. Louis) just can't compare to GSD or Yale. They are a VERY nice program though!!

Given how much I prefer Yale, I'm wondering why so many people overwhelmingly choose GSD. Is it just for the name?

Mar 9, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
ams724

@archhopeful

I got really excited by your comment. I'm also cross-admitted and will be going to Yale if they can match GSD's funding. Fwiw, I don't think it's that unusual - a good portion of each year's incoming class at Yale is/was in the same situation. It's definitely a better fit for some people.

Mar 9, 15 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Guys why is Columbia so late in sending MArch emails?

My nerves are about to snap off

@archhopeful

Have you seen Columbia's labs?

are they good? 

I have been there 100 times, but never to the facilities...

Mar 9, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
jwfa

@xsfxcx 

Nah haven't heard yet still, good luck to you too!

Mar 9, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@Unamuno I have not seen their labs. When I visited there was no one with the school who was available to show me around those spaces, I was told I could only check out the studios on my own.

Mar 9, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@archhopeful

Yes, that what they told me as well...

Good luck man, you got really good offers and pick them up wisely.

Mar 9, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
aeronomie

MArch 1 applicant. 29/TX/B. Music & M. Music Ed. Public school teacher for 5 years. 

In at UofHouston and Tulane (with $$$).

Out at UT Austin (sad face) and Syracuse. 

Still waiting to hear from Rice, Pratt, and Rensselaer.

My outlook isn't great for Rice and Pratt, but RPI contacted me to consider my application for advance standing. 

I am totally happy about Tulane, but I am unsure if I can afford it. Will it look bad to contact the school about possibly getting more funding?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!!

Mar 9, 15 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
chicagleggos

- Undergraduate degree: BIA | School: SAIC | Year graduated: 2008

- GPA: N/A

- GRE scores: 152/156/4.5

- # of letter of recommendations: 3 letters = 1 + former professor, 1 + former supervisor, 1 + firm partner

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded: All programs are M.Arch 1 (3 - 3.5 years)

- IN

GSD

- OUT

- WAITLIST

Yale

- NO RESPONSE

SCI-Arc, Berkeley, GSAPP, Pratt, Parsons

-PREFERENCE/TIPS 

Vying for GSD or GSAPP (if possible) - dependent on $$ provided. I think my 5 years experience helped to make up for my low test scores, coupled with with a strong focus on a particular area of study, and porfolio (which i labored over for 2-3 years during full time work; perhaps too long but worked out for me). Additionally, a lot of time was spent on purpose/statement. Good luck to everyone! 

Mar 9, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
p0000

i applied to GSAPP for the MSAAD program. I haven't received any response from them so far. Have they finished sending out their acceptance letters?

Mar 9, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
jajahahaja

@p0000 I actually got one last week. BTW let me ask you a thing. what made you apply to MSAAD? what are those strong points they've got? for me, feels like a year is kinda nonsense

Mar 9, 15 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
ptrav

Has anyone who was accepted to UCLA M.Arch 1 heard about financial aid at all? Just wondering if that would be sent separately from the acceptance email. 

Mar 9, 15 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ethan Hunt

Still waiting for MIT. Another favourite program. God Bless us!

Admissable to MArch II and MLA I AP in GSD. Still considerting if I need to take the concurrent degree. Could anyone give me some advice? Desperate to make the decision. 

Thank you very much!

Mar 10, 15 6:20 am  · 
 · 
conniehuidi

@Ethan Hunt: so you are going to choose btw MIT and GSD? I am interested to know what do you think. I am in the similar situation. 

Mar 10, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Ethan Hunt

@conniehuidi 

Hi, Xiaobai!  I am Da Zhuang~

So you may know my answer.  I have just submitted the decision form of GSD March II and asked the admission about the concurrent degree. And if MIT give me an admission, I will strugle again. For now, GSD is the only option.

Mar 10, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 
conniehuidi

@Ethan Hunt: you are everywhere now! hahaha =)

Mar 10, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
chi-arc

Has anyone gotten an official admission email or letter from IIT in Chicago yet???

Mar 10, 15 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
dannyviln

Pratt? Parsons?

Mar 10, 15 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

Anyone heard anything from Cincinnati?

Mar 10, 15 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

@danyviln on the Parsons website it says decisions will be made by the 15th. So no need to panic yet, lol

Mar 10, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
windupbird

MIT rejections have gone out.

This first no is a real bummer, but four other offers on the table!

Mar 10, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
ad2289

Hello @archhopeful and @sirhc. I'm leaning also towards Yale rather than Columbia, I don't know, it just feels right. I will visit the Open houses but would love to know what your final decisions are and why.

I received today another letter from the Registrar's Office and they emailed a copy of the Admissions Letter and the Prospecta Magazine. 

Mar 10, 15 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@ad2289 you received postal mail and email from Yale? When?

Does anyone know if/when Columbia hosts a spring open house?

Mar 10, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@ad2289

Yes I'll post my final decision when the time comes. I'd be interested in hearing yours as well. I guess we might see each other at the open house.

@archhopeful

A line from my acceptance e-mail. It does say "MSAAD" though, fyi.

The school will host an Open House on Wednesday, April 1, 2015, for all admitted M.S. Advanced Architectural Design students.

Mar 10, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Pierre Thach

I also received the postal mail with the Prospecta and a formal copy of admission letter from Yale yesterday.

Mar 10, 15 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
conniehuidi

@Yukikaze

any news on yale financial aid?

Mar 10, 15 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

How did you see the MIT rejections?  I have not heard anything from them yet?

Mar 10, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@chi-arc Yeah heard from them a week or two ago so did a few people I know. 

Mar 10, 15 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@lilchan92 did u get placed into the 3 year program or advanced placement into the 2 year m.arch?

Mar 10, 15 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
taxcosip

Any news from GSAPP MARCH I?

Mar 10, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
windupbird

@Beepbeep

It was via email. By the looks of gradcafe they sent out a good number of them today. This was for their M.Arch I program.

Mar 10, 15 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Okay, I am an M.arch II.

In at

Columbia with 30k

Syracuse with no money

Waiting

MIT (what I really want if I got money)

I have a good job at a pretty famous firm with good salary and an M.arch from a good state school so MIT would probably be the only thing I would take even with the 30k at Columbia it will still be 48K more for the MS.AAD, I don't know if the debt would be worth it, over more job experience at starachtect firm. It seems that work experience trumps education a few years out and it is okay that I do  not have the ivy league degree.

Mar 10, 15 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Pierre Thach

@conniehuidi

No news on financial aid yet. Still waiting...

Mar 10, 15 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
lalona

Got into: AA, Bartlett, Sci-Arc, Columbia, Cornell

I'm torn apart between Cornell MArch 2 vs Columbia AAD. Can't make a decision!

Any advice on facilities, network and studios?

Need help!

Mar 11, 15 7:15 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Guys have you got any idea why the f### Columbia is not sending email to MArch?

Mar 11, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
dannyviln

@purple hibiscus March 15th or April?

Where did you see that informaion?

Mar 11, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

Has anyone heard from Rice University?

Mar 11, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
franki ngo

Has anyone heard from Princeton?

Mar 11, 15 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

@dannyviln Log into the application hub and it says it on the right hand side, March 15

https://newschool.askadmissions.net/vip/Default.aspx

Mar 11, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
dannyviln

@purple hibiscus

Thank you!

Mar 11, 15 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
serrari

first time commenting, just hoping to alleviate some stress people may be feeling. I just heard from Princeton M. Arch I via email, I've been admitted, so I imagine acceptees are hearing today or tomorrow. Still no word from GSAPP M. Arch I.

Mar 11, 15 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
annairamgo

Was accepted to Princeton as well via email.

Mar 11, 15 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

To anyone who heard from GSAPP today (gradcafe says there were some rejections and acceptances), are you M.Arch. I or II?

Mar 11, 15 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@chi-arc 2 year but i know people who got into the 3. 

Mar 11, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: