Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

placebeyondthesplines

Jesus, how far has Syracuse fallen? UT Arlington rejected you?

Aug 25, 15 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
sanat

Fallen? Syracuse has made THE best decision which most other colleges have failed to recognize. 

and didnt i make it clear? Anyways Yes, UT Arlington rejected me. 

Sep 1, 15 12:25 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@sanat

Thanks for the chuckle.

Sep 1, 15 1:13 am  · 
 · 

sanat,

Are you a foreigner?

Sep 1, 15 3:24 am  · 
 · 

Just looked it up.

YEP! Foreigner.

Sep 1, 15 3:31 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What, pray tell, does that have to do with anything? 50 words or less, and try to leave out any xenophobia or prejudice.

Sep 1, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 

SneakyPete,

It's simple. In some schools, foreigners are held to a lower standard for admission.

It's not xenophobia or prejudice. This is evidence of that. They have a self-imposed policy to have so many admitted students that are foreigners of the admitted students.

Sep 1, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Please provide non-anecdotal evidence.

Sep 1, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Oh... I see.... Syracuse isn't requiring a minimum GPA for admission. Most graduate programs seem to require a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for admission. 

So, perhaps there policy isn't giving any real favoritism for foreigners and U.S. Citizens. I retract my comment in this case with sanat & Syracuse University. 

However, there are schools and programs that do provide a special treatment / favoritism to foreigners. Since it isn't the case here, lets not continue on a moot discussion.

Sep 1, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No minimum GPA for acceptance?

... and they still want fools to graduate with licences.

Sep 1, 15 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Non, plenty of fools have high GPAs. While a necessary metric (ostensibly, otherwise why have it at all) it is no guarantee of competency.

Sep 1, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

boooo for rational answer but yes, I've met my share of such people.

Sep 1, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

I thought they had a minimum GPA like 3.0 or higher GPA. This would have been my thought from Syracuse so I was surprise they would admit anyone under a 3.0 GPA. 

I don't hate foreigners just because they are foreigners. I just don't like them getting preferential treatment over tax paying citizens who pays the dues with their life, limb, sweat, etc. Why should a foreigner with what suppose to be basic privileges of being in this country have their privileges be treated higher and above the rights of the citizens who is suppose to be respected as the supreme and ultimate authority of this country? I hate the preferential treatment to those who by Constitution are not citizens with oath and allegiance to the United States. That's my issue with the system of foreigners enrolling in a number of our colleges and universities and elsewhere where foreigners are getting special treatment above that of United States citizens.

Sep 1, 15 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Sanat said he had about a 50% in the Indian system - at the university level that's roughly equivalent to a B or B minus in the GPA system.  So it's not like he had an extremely low GPA - it would have been just at or slightly below the typical 3.0 requirement.

US universities generally want to have a diverse mix of international students, but this doesn't usually convey preferential treatment, especially to those students whose countries are highly represented in the applicant pool. Often admissions are quite a lot more competitive for those international students. They also aren't usually eligible for anywhere near as much institutional financial aid, or for as many teaching assistantships and fellowships so they're paying more in tuition and have less of their living expenses subsidized.  Without people paying higher or full tuition, universities would have less funding for US students receiving aid.

Sep 1, 15 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks kjdt. 

Sep 1, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Richard,

Again, do you have any evidence that is not anecdotal? I am not asking you to go find some. I am asking if your current opinion is based on facts that you know or anecdotes and beliefs?

If the former, please share. If the latter, maybe devote some time to think on that.

Sep 1, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete,

I am not going to get in it because it is kind of moot and we are getting out off topic.

Sep 1, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

To make universities less expensive, (particularly public ones), stop paying upwards to a million dollar salary to univerisity President and some other people with multi-million dollar a year contracts to football coaches and all those benefits. 

For crying out loud, from all the state funding provided to Universities, they should be half the cost of community colleges in Oregon for example and have free printing costs.

I don't know how the hell they get $25 Million+ a year per public university from the state and cost so damn much. That's another topic. They are always not have enough money because they splurge senselessly and are not financially frugal for a second.

Different topic.

Sep 1, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

The median salary of university presidents is about $300k.  The 90th percentile is about $500k.  The highest base pay is about $800k.  Usually when one is reported as earning several million in a year, it's because they took an exit package (a buyout) AND it includes the value of benefits.  If you know a university president whose base salary is a million, then yes I would say there may be cost-cutting opportunities there.  Alas I suspect you don't know one but are just inventing new Rickstatistics.

In any case, regardless of how much you pay the administration, you need full tuition-paying students in order to generate the salaries and to subsidize those who aren't paying full tuition.  International students are most often paying more than their equally qualified US-citizen classmates.  You maxed out your financial aid eligibility on their dime, and your GPA is well under 3.0, so shut down the hypocrisy.

Sep 1, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

The multi-million a year was referring to University football coaches.

Sep 1, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, in a few cases, it was worse... much worse than I thought... One example.... OVER $6 Million salary.

Sep 1, 15 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Most football teams at that level are self sustaining financial entities, some financing other university programs... Take that expensive 5 million-a-year coach, Harbaugh.  So, in 2013, U-M spent $23,640,337 on football a year but they made $85,209,247...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/08/31/the-economics-of-college-football-a-look-at-the-top-25-teams-revenues-and-expenses/

Sep 1, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Sure, it sometimes pencils out  but the bottom line is a systemically high salaries and even more so on these benefits. Somewhere, it is getting pocketed. Plenty of inefficiency such as excessive number of staff and so forth. You can get as good if not better quality instruction at community college than often at a university in a number of courses. I pay less money at a community college which gets upwards of 10,000 students from around Clatsop, Pacific (WA) county and occassionally elsewhere and an FTE of 1500-2000 students and for half the tuition and fees than the University. It's entire operating budget (~10M nominal operating budget not including funds for bond measure for a project and not including all financial resources or something of a nominal year to year total resource of around $20-21M) amounts to ~1% of UO and there I don't have to pay for prints. UO is at about $1 Billion.

UO Total enrollment:

~24,181

(24,548 - 2014 headcount)

Clatsop Community College

Unduplicated Head count had been ranging between 5000-10,000 students. In the last 15 years, we had numbers upwards 10,000+

We serve 1/4th the number of students a year at Clatsop Community College for like 1% maybe 2% of the budget. Seriously, there has to be some incredible inflated cost and UO has the gall to charge for cost of printing paper like they can't get some rich Phil Knight type alumni to subsidize the cost through a donation.

There has to be some inflated cost of operating.

I think there is a LOT of room for trimming cost of operation. There is plenty of operating fat that we can do with a lot less of. Cut down on over staffing. So on and so on.

Sep 1, 15 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: