Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

lilchan92

The wait is finally over got into sci arc today!

Mar 26, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

@lilchan92 How did they notify you?

Mar 26, 15 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 they called me today and told me. She said they would send out emails to everyone in 3-4 days but she was calling people to let us know and then letters would go out in a week.

Mar 26, 15 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 you're still going to the ucla open house right? I'll be heading out that way tomorrow.

Mar 26, 15 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

@lilchan92 I'm so anxious to hear from them. Yes, i'm still heading out to the open house. 

Mar 26, 15 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 im sure youll heard from them soon! see you at the open house!

Mar 26, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

@lilchan92 Just got the call, i'm in! woohoo. I'll probably go an visit sci-arc while i'm in LA.

Mar 26, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 yay!!! Congrats! did you get m arch 1 or 2?

Mar 26, 15 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
FYC87

Finally!!! SCI-ARC called!!! Lol anyone looking for a place to live in LA?

Mar 27, 15 3:58 am  · 
 · 
brianar

Hey all. This was a terribly entertaining thread! Thank you! Congrats to you all, what a wonderful time it is for you!

I am a RISD MArch grad (09) and I had no previous arch. study. 

You all have impressive stats and I will say that I did not show as well on paper. RISD was my #1 and I was on the wait-list. Agony. I recall phoning in daily. 

Some advice - I hope you don't mind my .02 (albeit late to the discussion) :

Given the current graduate debt levels, take the money. It seems you all have great options in terms of schools, so unless there is a GLARING reason for one institution over another, take the most $$$ assistance you can get. That is a smart move. Do not collect additional baggage along the way. Once you get past school and start working and life, you will want as much financial freedom as possible. Trust me.

Ivy's have great networks if you want to follow that path and be in a club, otherwise don't believe the hype that the name will mean more than your work. Make your work unforgettable and nobody will care where you went or what your grades were.

Every institution has flaws, every program has flaws, every professor has flaws, every student has flaws, every designer has flaws, every office has flaws and every project has flaws. The search for perfection is endless. Free yourself from that search, that baggage and go further.

Look at the latest AIA salary comparison if you want to know what you will be making (in the US). Understand cost of living differences. Know that intern level employees are generally not special and salaries reflect that. After you have at least 3 years experience, you can start negotiating (especially if you have a particular set of indispensable skills). Interns are the folks in the bowels of the ship rowing in the dark to the repetitious beat of a low drum (I know that seems a melancholy generalization, but stay with me...you do emerge). 

To better understand, and you better understand it eventually, your role in the firm, get as much knowledge about how the business side of how an arch firm works, it is invaluable information. Some firms are transparent and some are guarded. You may seem less threatening as a summer intern asking about a firm's business model versus a new employee. 

Academic prestige doesn't necessarily mean you will make more money. Markets determine that. (Follow the work, not the romantic notions. Don't waste your talent on super corporations in big, sexy urban jungles, who will assign you the dreaded urban arch myth of drawing hundreds of stair and bathroom elevations. Go where development is booming, get a ton of experience, and then move back to the city of your dreams and find your niche.)

Make the most of your experience at school and enjoy the shit out of it! It goes by in a flash!

Seriously.

And knock your studio work out of the park. I remember professors saying, "Just pass your other classes, but get A's in studio." In many ways they are right, if you can shrug off the voice that tells you you must get good grades. If you are scholarship, you won't have that luxury, but find the most efficient way to meet the minimum requirement for classes that are not studio courses. You will learn more on the job later than you will pouring over pages of books on little to no sleep. Make sure your work engages people in a studio crit, even if everyone hates it! There is nothing worse than finishing your presentation and receiving a tidal wave of silence. I would rather die on my own sword that die of starvation.

Polish your design skills, master a software or two and be free-thinking. Don't try to make developer-polished portfolios for job interviews. If you do what you think others want you to do, you will do that forever. Be unique. Strive to bring something different to the table and not be a robot. Stick to your guns. 

Additionally, polish your people skills. Become a storyteller. Take an acting class and dissolve any stage fear. This will be your greatest asset. Eye contact. Empathy. Humor. Wit.

Don't ever fear discouragement - master it. Godspeed people. 

Mar 27, 15 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
chicagleggos

@brianar Fantastic advice, thank you so much for sharing, especially the importance of becoming a storyteller (this feels crucial to me) 

Mar 27, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sylar46

Yeah, fantastic. Really needed that, feel like I'm drowning in this waitlist and uncertainty.

Mar 28, 15 3:28 am  · 
 · 
LA05

@brianar ..simply great and needed. @Sylar46 same here!!!

Mar 28, 15 11:30 am  · 
 · 
annoyingbroccoli

@biranar thank you brother, inspirational words...

Mar 28, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
arch123

gott a call from sci arccc yayy!! But I need to decide AA DRL or  Sci -ARC March 2 ? what do you think?

Mar 28, 15 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
DanutB

Heey, Congrats @arch123! I also got into SCI-Arch MArch 2. I need to decide between this and USC MArch I with advanced standing. Really not sure what to do. Let me know what you decide. 

Mar 29, 15 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Ibuprofen

Guys please post portfolios and stats! Those are always helpful to see for the next round of applicants (especially M.Arch 1 apps). Thanks! :)

Mar 29, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

@Brianar great post thanks for the advice! Really needed that to give me some clarity

@ibuprofen, that thread already exists

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/122814938/graduate-program-decisions-2015

Mar 29, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@danutB and @arch123 I spoke with a few professors about sci arc m.arch 2 and I've been getting this idea across all of them that its a very very fast paste program that you'll basically learn how to make beautiful designs fast but you'll never understand how you got there or have a reason why you did what you did. I got tons of advice going to open houses and asking previous teachers who went through the program or taught in the school. One even went as far as suggesting I decline m.arch 2 and go into m.arch 1 because its a better program. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about the program. I'm still very much on the fence on both my options. 

Mar 30, 15 1:51 am  · 
 · 
DanutB

Thank you for your comment, @lilchan92! I really don't know what to do. I am more into the practical, realistic kind of architecture. I would go to USC MArch I with advanced standing, but I already have a Bachelor of Architecture and I feel like a MArch II program would be a better fit. 

Mar 30, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@DanutB
In many cases the longer programs merge into the shorter program, so advance standing in a longer program is essentially the same thing as just having the shorter program.

@lilchan.
What is your background? It's kind of insane to do a longer program if your background is in architecture, and I don't know how you would have gotten accepted into the shorter program if it was not.

Mar 30, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@natematt it's a bachelor's of science for architecture. The m. Arch 2 program and the m. Arch 1 program at sci arc are two completely different programs. M. Arch 1 is structured by Andrew zago. The m arch 2 is not and from what I hear it's not as good as the m arch 1. I'm planning on talking to the director of my school to see what he thinks because he's a very well known guy and will give a more unbias.

Mar 30, 15 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

According to the class breakdown on their website they all end up in the same studios.

If you want to line yourself up with people who have no architectural experience be my guest. Your money, your time.

Mar 30, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@natematt its not I spoke with professors from the school and students its two separate programs which is true for most schools like UCLA. Also just want to state that not everyone in an m arch 1 program doesn't have an architectural background if that's what you think you need to do a ton more research. The m. Arch 1 programs generally have a pretty split class when it comes to nonarch and arch degrees. They expect everyone at the same level on entrance and don't slowdown for most. I'm not saying any of this to throw it in your face I'm just saying it so that when people read this forum to help them they aren't misinformed. 

Mar 31, 15 2:37 am  · 
 · 
natematt

UCLA's MArch II is a post-professional degree while their MArch I is a professional degree. Both of SCI-Arch's are professional degrees, which have the same overall requirements based on their accreditation. I'm not saying they are the exact same, I'm just pointing out that the class lists align with the later studios, and that the requirements of any accredited program are nationally standardized. This does not mean one program is as good as the other, but if the three year is so much better than their two year  then that is a failure of the school, and is not the case with most other programs.

You are right, there are a lot of architecture students who go into that three year, and other three year programs. Often this is due to deficiencies in their prerequisites, this includes  a lot of BAs and some BSs. And yes, some people do just chose to do more school.

However, there are non-arch non-design background people in the program as well, which is fine, but if you have a four year degree in architecture saying that you are in the same spot as an English major when it comes to architecture is not reasonable. I'm not saying you won't learn more, more time in school means you'll learn more,  I am saying it isn't/shouldn't be necessary or preferable. Fair?

Mar 31, 15 3:19 am  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

Dumb conclusions are all too common on here. 

Point is, if you have an architecture background and  retake the introductory/exploratory courses that first year, then it is a waste of time and money. An undergraduate degree underutilized or maybe wasn't worth a damn to begin with.

Perhaps one has more money than sense so whatever, that decision is not my concern. But the better path is seeking advanced placement, at least leapfrogging past the basic courses instead of blending in with newcomers acclimating to the major. 

Mar 31, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@natematt fair opinion I'm not saying one way is right or wrong. I'm only presenting another view to give a better platform to make a decision on. 

@verticalgaze I just feel that you need to value a program more before making an opinion just because its a 2 vs a 3 year. Don't get me wrong most 2 year programs id jump on that in a heart beat cause they are structures so much better than 3 years but some schools like sci arc have a better structures 3 year program and of the 2 year program. Also I'm not retaking any basic courses that i already took in my undergrad and i don't believe anyone should do that its a waste of time and money however studio wise im saying those without architecture backgrounds keep up just as well as those with them so don't think just because its an m arch 1 that the skill level is downgraded. which is really what i am trying to argue.

Mar 31, 15 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

For someone with an existing degree, it doesn't make sense to spend more time in an education path designed for those switching into the profession. No one said the entering class was any less skilled or proficient. What you seem to not understand is that the first semester or year will mostly be about bringing these inexperienced students up to speed. Something that will probably be trite for someone with an arch. background to needlessly go through again. But then again, not all degrees are equal and being admitted without advanced placement in the first-professional program might hint at previous deficiencies. 

The simple point being that any student with an existing foundation should enter at least past the first semester and actually foster further learning, not going through the new hurdles and trying to understand architecture with the neophytes. If you like the bonding experience--and it might well be worth it in the end to stay a year more--then whatever, you are capable of making that decision. But that's not the argument I or natematt are on about.

Mar 31, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@verticalgaze what you don't seem to understand is that the first year studio courses do not slow down for those who don't have architecture backgrounds. that's what I'm trying to tell you. I'm not arguing for the other classes just studio. Because I agree there are a ton of core classes that are a waste of time. You guys are arguing that a student with an architecture backgrounds is basically learning basic stuff the first year but this is not true at all. Also neither one of us will win this argument because we are both stubborn architects so we'll just keep arguing forever so I'm just going to stop.

Apr 1, 15 1:06 am  · 
 · 
DanutB

@natematt

So, basically you're saying that MArch I with advanced standing and MArch II should be pretty much the same program?  What about getting a job? Is an MArch II likely to get you a job easier...or a better paid one? Thanks!

Apr 1, 15 2:05 am  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

It's not an argument you can win anyways, not without actually addressing the points I made. I already told you no one ever said it was slowed down for non-backgrounds, only that it would be largely useless for someone with a foundation. It's basically hinting that the student is remedial and no better off in the field than a Geography or English major starting out.

None of this matters to me. From the sounds of it, you will likely squander time and money going through a pointless year and continue to not understand why other programs offer those with arch backgrounds a curriculum that completes in just two years instead of three. The three years could be good in the end but you choose to not accept the truth of the matter.

Apr 1, 15 2:23 am  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@danutB

"What about getting a job? Is an MArch II likely to get you a job easier...or a better paid one?"

-It wont matter. They only see if you have a degree not which program you picked. 

Apr 1, 15 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@danutB

yes. "MArch I with Advanced standing" at USC is fundamentally the same program as "MArch II" at SCI-Arch

As for job prospects... I agree with lilchan02, doesn't matter, you'll just put "Master of Architecture" on your resume and call it a day. If you put a number on there people would just roll their eyes at you, because they don't care, as long as the portfolio is good and they know you're accredited.

Apr 1, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
DanutB

@natematt

I guess I'll go with USC then. Thank you for the information. It really helped me take a decission. Good luck to you all!

Apr 1, 15 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
manriqueac

- 27/F/US Citizen

- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interior Design/ Virginia Commonwealth University/ 2011

- 3.78 GPA

- 157Q, 159V, 4.0W

- 4 LOR's/ 3 from undergrad. professors and 1 from former supervisor

- University of Virginia: Accepted with $3,000 stipend & $1,000 grant for summer program (in-state tuition)

- University of Texas at Austin: Accepted with $2,000 stipend & $300 travel reimbursement for Open House, along with 1st year in-state tuition

- Illinois Institute of Technology: Accepted but declined offer

- University of Pennsylvania: Accepted with $3,500 stipend & $875 grant for summer program

- University of California, Berkeley: Rejected

- Negotiating with UVA & UT. My boyfriend would rather move to Austin, TX because it might be easier for him to find a job as an architect in a bigger city. I think UVA's program is stronger, but he would be paying for a lot of my living expenses, so we have to make this decision together. Tough choice! IIT & UPenn are way too expensive to be realistic options.

Apr 1, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

I got into Michigan!!!

I was taken off the psuedo-waitlist yesterday and was given a $15,000 scholarship, dispersed over 3 years, which was quite a shock.

Now time to make the hardest decision I've ever made. The only other places I applied were the VT Alexandria Campus, and Catholic University. Michigan was really the only school I could see myself upending my husband and my life here in DC for.

I'm in a bit of an odd position because I have an Associates degree in Architecture, and some architecture credits from the first University I attended, which I transferred out of. My BA is in Art History. VT and Catholic are willing to give me credit for my previous knowledge, allowing me to graduate in 2 years even though I'm technically an MArch 3 student. Michigan will take 3.5 years...but it's Michigan!

I actually really like the program at Catholic. I would be doing the Sacred Space/Cultural Studies concentration which seems like it will be the perfect mix of theory and practice that I'm looking for. It's expensive but they're giving me a lot of money. Also they offered  me a TA position, which is important to me because I'm considering going into academia. It's crazy to go to the lowest ranked program you were accepted to though isn't it?...right? ugh.

Anyway, here are the stats:

- Age/Sex/Citizenship: 26/f/USA

- Undergraduate degree/ School/ Year graduated: BA in Art History, George Mason University, 2015

- GPA: 3.98/4.0 (but to be fair I went to a pretty middle of the road University, and transferred twice)

- GRE scores/ TOEFL scores (internationals): 166 VR/ 154  QR/ 4 AW

- Portfolio: included artistic drawings, conceptual design, and construction documentation

- # of letter of recommendations/ from who (this can be general; employer, professor, etc.): Three from professors, one who got her PhD from Michigan

- SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded [in, out or wait list], any $ offered, any other pertinent info)

University of Michigan: In, MArch 3, $15,000 stipend

VT Alexandria: In, status dependent on performance in summer studio

Catholic University: In, still waiting on official award but I was told I'm receiving at least 50% scholarship and paid TA/RA position

- Final decision (or preferences if not decided yet): HELP

Apr 2, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
pizzaparty

- Age/Sex/Citizenship: 23/f/USA

- Undergraduate degree/ School/ Year graduated: BA in Economics & Environmental Science & Policy

- GPA: 3.4/4.0

- GRE scores/ TOEFL scores (internationals): 160 VR/ 154  QR/ 5 AW

- Portfolio: included artistic drawings, conceptual design, and construction documentation

- # of letter of recommendations/ from who (this can be general; employer, professor, etc.): Three from college professors, two in the field of Economics, and one from the ES&P field.

- SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded [in, out or wait list], any $ offered, any other pertinent info)

PennDesign - accepted

Pratt - accepted, with a $20,000 merit scholarship renewable over all three years

Parsons - accepted with a 40% scholarship, also renewable over all three years

RISD - waitlisted

- Final decision (or preferences if not decided yet): I am deciding between Penn and Pratt. Although I got a scholarship from Pratt, the living expenses in NYC are so much higher than in Philly. I am not sure it would end up being such a significance difference in price. So aside from finances, which school would the rest of you choose? I have heard quite a few negative things about Penn - i've even talked to people who called the program 'garbage'. But if it is really that awful, why is it so highly ranked? On the one hand, I don't want to choose a school because of it's ranking and the 'ivy league' status. And Pratt does seems like it has a super cool program - I even had a great conversation with the chair of the department on the phone for 25 minutes! On the other hand, I don't want to throw away an opportunity to be taught with great facilities and by phenomenal faculty, or the networking opportunity a prestigious school like upenn can offer. So, are both programs equally robust? If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Apr 3, 15 6:38 am  · 
 · 
jessmgg

Hey guys congratulations to everyone!

I am applying on a few months to grad schools!

i have 

HARVARD,MIT, YALE , UT , CORNELL, BERKLEY , COLUMBIA in my mind...

but my first concern as everyone's the portfolio!

any tips?

essay!

Apr 4, 15 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
smg25

is anyone here still left to hear from any university ??? would like to know as i m worried for not have heard from michigan and pennstate as yet . Have applied for march 2 at both the universities .

Apr 5, 15 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Sylar46

@smg25 Still waiting for MIT here (SMArchS - D&C) Don't give up hope.

Apr 6, 15 1:43 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

Undergraduate degree: B.Arch (India)

GPA: 3.0/4.00

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 150 / 154 / 3.0

PORTFOLIO: Considering how heartbroken I was with my GRE score, I decided to put all my remaining time on my portfolio. Reworked some of my projects, and got worked even more on the aesthetic part. Most importantly I tried to to keep my portfolio aligned with my SOP/

Letters of Recommendation: Three 2 from my college professor and 1 from my current boss.

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded):

IN:

UPenn-PPD + $$

UCLA-Suprastudio-Guvenc Ozel+$

USC-M.Arch II + $$$$

Pratt + $$

OUT: GSD

UC-Berkeley

WAIT LISTED: None

NO RESPONSE: None

Preferences: Upenn was my dream school, but considering the amount of scholarship I have got from USC, plus 'LA' as city is very important for me. I have been inclined towards USC. Upenn is very expensive, even with scholarships. So I am in a fix between them. Ucla- suprastudio is very topic oriented, and I am not sure if I want to do that for my M.Arch. What do you guys think?

Application Tips: Of course the portfolio is the most important part of the application, I worked on mine for 2 months, tried to bring out my qualities and uniqueness in it and it really paid off. I got into all the colleges I wanted to go to. GSD and berkeley were not me and I knew, but I applied anyways for the name and backup. And to everyone GRE scores doesnt matter! So dnt waste your time on that.

Apr 6, 15 7:05 am  · 
 · 
kmartinf

Age: 24 | Sex: male | Citizenship: Argentina (Permanent US Resident)

Undergraduate degree:  Bachelor of Design (UF)

GPA: 3.7/4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  150/150/2.5

PORTFOLIO: http://issuu.com/kohak/docs/scripts_for_making_-_selected_work

Letters of Recommendation: 2 professors (GSD & Princeton alumni) (I needed 3 but one had to defer for emergency, he was UCL:Bartlet Alumni)

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded):  GSD & MIT

IN:

GSD [$$$]

MIT

OUT: WAIT LISTED: NO RESPONSE: ----

Preferences:

GRE doesn't matter. Period.
I was going to apply to UCLA and Berkeley next year. California Resident.

Apr 6, 15 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
bmedi

@smg25 waiting for Michigan as well.  and also for the official package from Berkeley

Apr 6, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

Just got off the Cornell Waitlist!!

Apr 12, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
geeya12

Age 24 Sex F Citizenship Canadian

Undergraduate degree: School of the Art Institute of Chicago BIA 2013 

GPA : N/A

GRE scores/ TOEFL scores (internationals) 149 I 150 I 3.0

PORTFOLIO (recommended)

# of letter of recommendations/ from who (this can be general; employer, professor, etc.) 1 from GSD Professor 1from previous employee 1 from previous professor from SAIC

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded [in, out or wait list], any $ offered, any other pertinent info)

IN: 

UPENN

Sci-Arc 

AA

U Michigan 

Out: 

Princeton 

GSD 

Final decision 

Haven't Decided  HELP !!! 

Apr 13, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

^I'll help you decide as soon as you report what your undergraduate GPA was...

Apr 13, 15 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

UPenn, Sci-Arc, and AA are very avant garde and Michigan offers a whole selection from avant garde to urbanism to modular design.  All good choices, you can't go wrong! 

I had some tough choices as well, I visited Michigan and loved everything it had to offer, I guess they did a good job selling the program during the Architecture Preview.   

Apr 13, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

@ SpatialSojourner, what did you think of Michigan when you visited? I got accepted there but I'm International so couldn't make the preview weekend. I'm stuck between Michigan, Cornell and Parsons.

Apr 14, 15 3:36 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

@purple hibiscus, I really liked the atmosphere, most of the current students that I met were great - but maybe I just got lucky with my host.  The studio culture seemed positive like everyone wanted to see everyone else do well - I didn't get that vibe from other schools that I've visited in the past but there are probably some overly competitive people that I didn't meet.

I'm not sure if I especially liked the huge open studio but I think all of my schools have approx the same set up.  All the faculty seemed passionate and had a wide array of interests that spanned from urbanism to theoretical to avent garde to modular homes.    One of my biggest concerns is that the school might be a bit theoretical but I think with the 7-10 studio options there should be something that suites my fancy and I have a wide range of interests that align with plenty of the faculty.  

Their fab lab is top notch with CNCs, robotic arms, knitting machine, ect ect.

The career services was one of the main selling points for me.  It seems like they try hard to get students into firms that they'd like to work at.  My undergrad school was like here's your diploma, good luck.  

Ann Arbor is okay, I prefer a metro areas but the cost of living will be nice since I probably won't have an intern architect job.

West Coast and Ivy schools are in the mix but I think that everything points to Michigan.  With the scholarship I received from Michigan, it makes it by far the least expensive school.  Plus, it's a 2 year program for me versus the ~3 years at the other schools.  Seeing recent grads in my current metro area, I don't especially see a premium for certain schools, it's more about portfolios and networks. 

Apr 14, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 
sanat

- 24/M/Nepali

- Bachelors in Commerce (B.com)/ University of Pune/ 2012

- Our school did not have a GPA system. I had about 50% 

- 144v 154q / Toefl -98

- I have not uploaded my portfolio yet so if you want to see it, you can email me

- # recommendation letters- 2 from former employers 1 from my ACCA teacher. Yes, I even did chartered accountancy after my undergrad

IN:

Syraucse University $$

UC Denver 

OUT:

UT Austin

UT Arlington

UC Ohio

UC Berkeley

UIC

- Final decision (or preferences if not decided yet)

Syracuse University because of $$

-TIPS

First of all, comming from a non-architecture background with 3 years bachelors degree and a very low grade, i had no hope of even getting into a single one. The odds were not in my favor at all. After intensive research in the threads of Archinect and University websites, i had a rough idea that in to get into an architecture school you have to make your Portfolio stand out. I did just that. I can now say to anyone out there who's struggling to get into your dream school or maybe someone like me, just ANY school (I did not have that privilege)  , that if you put your effort into your portfolio, things will turn out okay.  I was honestly, just like you are at the moment, desperate, uncertain and frantic(There came a point in time I even tried to bribe the GODS and what not) but dont worry too much. Things will be fine. I had no hope of getting into even one ( I'm really stressing on that!)

Portfolio:

Whats the difference? Just like Megamind said " PRESENTATION! " I will give the same advise I took from the previous Final Decisions 2014 -Think of your portfolio as a design project it self. Even if you have decent contents, try and work out and work within your portfolio's overall design. Last but not the least, Pour out your heart. Its okay to try to impress your professors but don't forget to come back down to human scale. That's what I say! 

"Good artists copy, Great artists steal" -Pablo

Essay:

This is your time to shine. If you have a poor grade, this is your time to explain why and how you can improve it this time. Pour out your heart, talk about your inspirational moments, motivation idols, the bigger picture  make it interesting -just as much as you'd like to read it yourself, make a story out of it.Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is a great book to read if you want to help yourself to organize your thoughts and get some inspiration to write. You can only write as much as you read, so read. Atlast, Write the truth because, you might get in all of the colgs, or non but nothing is as satisfying as knowing that you choose to tell the truth even if odds were not in your favor. 

Aug 25, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: