Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

midfish

@elle331 I heard back from Rice two weeks ago on tuesday. I am still waiting to hear back from Pratt too. I just checked my email and saw that I received an email from Pratt on March 2, saying that they're sending out decisions sometime between mid march and April 1. I think it's unlikely that it will be out today, but we should hear back soon. 

Mar 13, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
LA05

whats wrong with me!! in waiting list for Upenn too, after GSD!!! totally hate it, being on the wait list!! everything so uncertain...GSAPP confirmed, but too much fees for an int. applicant..

Mar 13, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
annoyingbroccoli

Oh god how can us internationals pay for the 3-year MArch for Columbia GSAPP!! It says on the website that all expenses add up to 80.000$ a year! (perks of studying in NY...) Its basically quarter a million dollars! Is it really worth it? Can you earn that kind of money after you graduate? Or find any scholarships/assistantship during your study there?

Any opinion, advice or anecdote from internationals or US citizens is highly appreciated!

Mar 13, 15 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
jwfa

@annoyingbroccoli 

Of course it is! Especially with starting salaries around 40k a year....

Haha, I don't really think quarter mil is worth it. Unless you find a job that pays similar to electrical engineers. But then again, with that school name, who knows.

Mar 13, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
howdidigethere

Anyone hear from Cincinnati either way? Only one person on gradcafe has heard. Seems from years past they send out either this week or next.

Mar 13, 15 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Maccam

Still waiting on Virginia Tech... Feeling very discouraged at this point.

Mar 13, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@annoyingbroccoli

When considering cost you can't assume anything will improve financially as you go along, because it probably wont.

With this in mind... no, it's not worth 250k, especially if that is debt.

Concerning loan debt. I think anything over 50k is a poor decision, and anything over 100k going to be difficult to pay and will probably start to make your life miserable.

Options: 1)Have rich parents 2) go to a different school, one which is probably almost as good but much cheaper 3) reconsider your choice of profession

Mar 14, 15 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

Parsons just sent out their decisions. Check your email!!

Mar 15, 15 7:40 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

I still haven't heard back from UCLA?? Does anyone know how I can check the status of my application? They say everyone is supposed to hear back by March 15th. 

Mar 16, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Annieebanana

Undergraduate degree: Bachelor of Environmental Design, 2014

GPA:  3.3

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  150/151/4.0

# of letter of recommendations: 3 letters -- all studio prof.

IN:

:'[

OUT:

Berkeley

WAIT LISTED:

RISD

NO RESPONSE:

Pratt

I only applied to three schools and I am DYING on the wait list for RISD, it's my number one.

Mar 16, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 
kayl0

@video_killed You can try e-mailing them at admissions@aud.ucla.edu. I've corresponded with them through that e-mail a few time now since I am planning on attending. Best of luck, hope you hear back soon! 

Mar 16, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

Has anyone heard anything from sci-arch? They're the only school who hasn't told me anything yet...

Mar 16, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 Im dying over here waiting to hear from them. Its my number one school if i dont get in im going to UCLA. 

Mar 16, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

@lilchan92 I'm sort of between those schools too! UCLA is giving me pretty good funding though so right now i'm pretty set on going there. Do you have any clue when they'll let us know? And are you going to the UCLA open house?

Mar 16, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 It originally said early april then they updated it to say late march. I visited both schools during the summer and i fell in love with sci-arc. I like UCLA but its so hard to find favorable living areas near there! Sci-arc is much better for living and commuting. I'm still debating on if im going to the open house or not Id have to fly in from Chicago so i have to check flights first but i would like to go see what the open house. 

Mar 16, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

Pratt just sent out letters. I'm in, but the amount of money they gave me is not worth it. 

Mar 16, 15 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

@lilchan92 I got to visit UCLA two summers ago, but I havent seen Sci-arc. I can image being in downtown LA is a lot easier for living and commuting. Let me know when you hear from them.

Mar 16, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
stvn_ktz

Why is the admissions department at UCLA so horrible. Seriously, just let me know if I am accepted or rejected. You think an established school would have developed efficiency but apparently not. Anyone else still waiting around for their decision? Every time I call they give me the same run around--"emails should be sent out by next week". 

Mar 16, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
LA05

Any idea, when MIT will release the result of SMArchS?

Mar 17, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
chi-arc

-27/male/USA

-Degree:  BS Arch

-GPA:  3.4

- 150/150/4.0

- 3 letters of recommendation: 2 from professors, 1 from employer/principle architect

- SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded [in, out or wait list], any $ offered, any other pertinent info)

IN:

University of Michigan ($$)

IIT

UIC

OUT:

GSAPP

- Final decision (or preferences if not decided yet):

Still deciding between UofM and IIT.  The fact that Michigan offered a scholarship makes it a more attractive offer, but Chicago has always been home and it would be great to be able to go to school in the city.

Mar 17, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I know I want the MIT Smarch! all I am waiting on as well.

Mar 17, 15 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@krisl0x3 I was checking on gradcafe to see when people usually heard from Sci-arc a lot of them say they started getting phone calls around march 20-27. Hopefully well be hearing soon!

Mar 18, 15 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Driko
@Chi-arc

Same boat. Did IIT release official letters yet?
Mar 18, 15 1:49 am  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@Driko

I received an email from IIT on March 3rd saying that I will get an official letter in "upcoming weeks".  Finally, got the official letter along with an admissions packet on March 13th by postal mail.

Mar 18, 15 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
@lilchan92 what program is that for? The M.Arch II application isn't due until May 1st.
Mar 18, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@chasekinerfreeman they had a Dec 15 deadline before the May 1st I believe is for rolling admissions after or something.

Mar 18, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
Oh ok, because from what I saw the B.Arch was the Dec 15 deadline, I didn't know there was an M.Arch deadline on the 15th either
Mar 18, 15 11:33 am  · 
 · 
leriot

Just received finaid notification from WUSTL... 50% tuition is not bad, but still a lot to pay...

I am really confused. Go for the second choice or try next year?..

Mar 19, 15 1:39 am  · 
 · 
chark

I just got rejected from one of the schools I applied to with a copy-paste e-mail... Do you guys think they'll twist the knife in the wound and send an official rejection through regular mail?

Mar 19, 15 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

I just called UCLA because I still haven't heard back and was told there that "admissions are made on a rolling basis". REALLY? I mean, I did submit mine the day of the deadline, but I had no idea that would affect admissions decisions?

Do other schools do this? O.o I don't feel like I've been penalized from any of the other schools I've gotten into by applying later. I'm kind of pissed it doesn't mention this anywhere on their website. 

Mar 20, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Kell

@videokilled 

That's kinda weird , I submitted my app to UCLA  the night of dec 15 and was an early acceptance.  Their open house is a about a week away, hope you hear soon 

Mar 20, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

@video_killed

Most schools have a Dec 15 or jan 15 deadline and then after the deadline all applications that come in are rolling. 

Mar 20, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

I also submitted it the night of December 15th and made sure everything else was in on time (except for a recommendation letter that I couldn't control, which was submitted a couple of days late). Got an email in early February saying my application was complete and under review. What's going on?

:( I'd just like to know one way or another. 

Mar 20, 15 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

Okay, I just talked to another guy in the office who said "they're still sending out emails, you should hear back by sometime next week." None of the rolling admissions crap. 

Get your shit together, UCLA. Seriously. Even if I get in at this point, I can't even go to the open house because who can afford plane tickets this last minute from the East Coast to California. This level of disorganization reflects badly on the program and the school as a whole. 

Mar 20, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Maccam

@video_killed, that late recommendation letter is the reason why you've been put in the back of the group. Same thing happened to me for at least three of my schools. Its not fair, but its probably the reality

Mar 20, 15 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
stvn_ktz

@video_killed

Myself and a few others that I know are still waiting for a reply from UCLA. I also emailed the admissions office and was told a decision should be made by next week. Of course I've called every week now and they've given me that same response. So, just have to wait it out... and hope its next week. What I don't understand is why some applicants are given over a month to decide (April 15 deadline) if they will attend but for us who still haven't received a decision that give us under a few weeks to decide. Doesn't seem fair at all. 

Mar 20, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

UCLA is slow. The acceptance letter itself has no real way to commit or decline so until people actually get the official letter with the web link, it's basically watching paint dry. Terrible implementation. Many are probably waiting after open house at the end of this month to decide.

Go to gradcafe, look at the last big bunch of acceptances, and know there still hasn't been anything important mailed out to most of them.

Mar 20, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
Maybe yall can be of more help than the other thread (which is basically just people bitching at each other). I'm feeling a little discouraged here and wondering if yall could help make sense of this. This is me:

Sex: Male
Citizenship: US

Degree: BA in Arch from Clemson University
GPA: 3.2/4.0
GRE: 152/157/4.5

Portfolio: http://issuu.com/chasekinerfreeman/docs/freeman_chase-portfolio_2_5374076a977a4c

Letters of Rec: 2 professors; 1 former headmaster who has known me forever; 1 Architect (my uncle) who has own firm and graduated Sci-Arc in '79.

I haven't been accepted anywhere. Been rejected from Cornell, UPenn, U Washington, and U British Columbia. Still waiting to hear back from UC Denver, Royal Danish Academy, and AHO Oslo (which is my top choice) and will be applying to Sci-Arc in the very near future. I'm starting to think it's my portfolio and my letters of recommendation that have brought me down. What do yall think?

I'm still waiting to hear back from those other schools but I'm starting to look at working for a year or two before applying again. Any advice or anything would be very appreciated.
Mar 20, 15 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
chicagleggos

@chasekinerfreeman I think you answered your own questions: a year or two of working would help a lot 

Mar 20, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
@chicagleggos I feel that it's just i don't have as much experience as the graduate programs like to see. Do you think that's an accurate statement?
Mar 20, 15 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
anaiira

@chasekinerfreeman: Did you apply for AP? I hear those standards are more rigorous for entry. I mean,  it only makes sense if you have a B.Arch, but... yeah.

Those are some of the best schools in architecture. Chin up, and let Ze Frank lull you with his sagely baritone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWVElQ6NfcE

Also that yellow in your portfolio is a little much. I like the colour. It's still a little much.

Mar 20, 15 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^ Schools don't really care if you have worked, schools care how "good" you are. If you work you will probably be better than you would be otherwise. Thus working=better chance, but not working=/=strike against you.

Mar 20, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
@anaiira Yeah I applied to all the 2-year programs because I have a degree in architecture. I may just take a couple years off, do some competitions and rework my portfolio to apply again. It's discouraging but whatever, just have to keep trying.

@natematt so you're saying I'm not good enough at the moment? I mean I know I need to get better, which is probably what a year or two off would get me to work and do competitions and stuff. So yeah I see what you're saying.
Mar 20, 15 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I'm saying if you're not getting in it's because the schools did not think you were at the right point for them. So essentially but not exactly yes. Work for a couple years and you should be in a better spot, as long as you don't let it drag you into an alley and beat you down with bad design. You could work for ten years, but if you came back with the same level of skill and knowledge you'd get the same results.

Mar 20, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
Yeah I know what you're saying, it's more about getting better as a designer rather than just saying I have experience in the field. Would you say I need to rework my portfolio as well?
Mar 20, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

@ChaseKinerFreeman Read over the comments on the thread you posted asking for crits on your portfolio...  they are spot on. 

I took a few years off and worked in the profession and worked non stop iterating on my portfolio. Best decision I ever made. This year, I got into some great schools.  Coworker also did the same as me and took time to work in the profession but didn't invest any time on revising their portfolio...  It looks like they're going to be staying in the professional realm a little longer... 

Mar 20, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano

@SpatialSojourner Ok thanks, it definitely makes me happier to hear that. Would you mind sharing your portfolio with me? I know you're probably hesitant because people would copy it, but I'm a visual person so seeing what makes something successful will often translate to my own work and how I can make mine successful in similar ways.

I know you mentioned on the previous thread that a lot of the viz stuff can be improved. So I can start working on that as well. Other people said that I don't have architectural substance so no idea how to work on that. But thanks for the tips!

Mar 21, 15 11:16 am  · 
 · 
chicagleggos

@SpatialSojourner I was in exactly the same situation as you, took a few years off to work while consistently working on portfolio, and received some incredible acceptances for this fall. It may not work for everyone but for me it was the right thing to do. 

Mar 21, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 
doarch

Is it me or this application and admission things looks like a horror movie..

I'm soo frustrated..

Mar 25, 15 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

Who else gets turned off a school because the administration is rude on the phone?

Mar 26, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: