Meltzer/Mandl Architects, P.C.

Meltzer/Mandl Architects, P.C.

Brooklyn, NY


Rosco C. Brown, Jr. Apartments

3952 Third Avenue, Bronx (Bathgate area), New York

  • Client: Phipps Houses/RCB Associates, LP
  • Size: 255,000 GSF
  • Cost: $80,000,000
  • Status: Construction completed 2011
  • Issues: HPD/HDC & DACE Review; Zone Change; Uniform Land Use Review Process (ULURP); Brick Institute of America ‘Silver’ Award

This 279-unit development, which involved a variance granted through a City Planning approval process, merges the development rights from contiguous lots. Predominantly two- and three bedroom units, the affordable rental complex includes a series of street level retail uses (6,100 SF) and parking for 35 vehicles at grade. There are two large outdoor recreation spaces with adjoining community rooms with small kitchens for residents. The site had been deemed unbuildable due to the expense of removing an enormous outcropping of rock. The design, which has been approved for construction, involves the selective coring of rock for lobby placement at street level while the majority of the building mass rests above it.

Twenty percent of units will be set aside for those earning 40% or less of area median income (AMI) while the remaining will be reserved for those earning 60% or less of AMI.

Read more

Status: Built
Location: Bronx, NY, US