Archinect
anchor

Zaha the Awesome: Style by Design

Thom Yorke

Is that a good opening page for your next book, DA? I'm only trying to be as helpful as you are to the archinect community...

Jul 6, 10 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what i love the mostest, is that this first class twit can't define arbitrary.

Jul 6, 10 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Jul 6, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Am I a non-Zaha-loving architect now?

Jul 6, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Unicorn that's hilarious!

Jul 6, 10 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Hi mr. unicorn,

Gilgamesh called and he wants to you to give him his money back.

Jul 6, 10 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

you know you shouldn't have lined up those three soldier courses, draw me the detail of the parapet and a an axon of the wall turning.

Jul 6, 10 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

That is one elegant facade unicorn and I'm not being sarcastic.

Jul 6, 10 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
jsus fan

There are some deconstructivists I respect and there are some that I believe benefit from the public's fascination with whimsical and shocking forms.

The Rem / Zaha band fall into the latter camp for me. I initially followed Rem & Zaha and I was very interested in how Zaha's painting informed her projects; however I have come to the conclusion (perhaps a mis-informed one) that the ultimate end of Zaha's projects is to capture a certain zeitgeist and get a spread in one magazine or the other or to produce consumable renderings.

While I am posting, I would like to salute the women professionals that are challenging the boys club of architecture without the benefit of the "star-architect" machine. There are many women that lead firms and are project leaders and execute creative projects. There are also many other minority women that deserve opportunity but will never get the chance.

Jul 6, 10 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

jsus fan, thanks for your post. I think the zeitgesit works both ways - Zaha definitely does some shocking work, but if she does it for her own curiosity in exploring form, not in an attempt to get a magazine spread, it may still get picked up by a magazine because they want to show something "shocking" to sell magazines!

The CAC (Cincinnati) is my favorite Zaha building - and the only one I've seen in person - because it has a consistent rawness in its materiality. I do think a lot of her things - like the Chanel pavilion or whatever that was - are a bit indulgent.

Also, a LOT of women in architecture - and men, too - aren't interested in being starchitects. We want to do good work in our own communities and see a positive impact in the lives of our clients via built projects. The starchitect machine is there for anyone to pursue, but a lot of people aren't interested.

Jul 6, 10 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

"What you don't display here is any nuance of thought, any ability to grasp that conflicting attitudes can co-exist and even reinforce one another. I would argue that in successful architecture there has to be conflict, and the architect has to work it out as well as possible both in individual projects and in their own projects in the context of the built world." - quote by a lady that says zahas will is Sexy aka donna

How in the world do you think that Chaos of Confusing forces can co exist with Order?

You say successful architecture has to have conflict. I say it already is full of conflicts. We shouldn't create a problem in order to solve it.

At least now you admit that you hero zaha is an aesthetic speculator.

The will of the epoch is stronger than any individuals will to power.

The strangest thing about this thread is that I'm probably the only one here that has met Zaha Hadid personally.

Jul 7, 10 2:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat
Jul 7, 10 3:27 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Look, I added a herringbone sidewalk.

And those soldier lines are definitely offset!

Jul 7, 10 4:38 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

DA = dilettante.

Displaced Architect

Jul 7, 10 6:14 am  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

"The strangest thing about this thread is that I'm probably the only one here that has met Zaha Hadid personally."

I met her once too!

She kept mentioning this one "guy" that used to stand outside her buildings handing out pamphlets full of psychobabble and horrible grammar. He would yell at people entering her buildings, denouncing their ways for "worshiping arbitrary chaos."

Zaha said she was used to this sort of criticism, as it is common and healthy for architects to criticize ANYTHING - especially popular architecture. For some reason, though, this guy thought he was alone in his views, and get this, SPECIAL for critiquing her work. But he didn't stop there...

He would yell at people for merely passing by and looking up at her buildings, proclaiming "you expressed interest, therefore you are a blind worshiper and are against me on the great battlefield!"

Eventually he obtained a laptop and now steals wifi while frantically typing outside her buildings on architect message boards.

In between typing and pamphleteering, she says, he also yells at small children and squirrels.

Jul 7, 10 9:29 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Good job Mr. Unicorn,

br, and ty, what are you two babbling about today?

Jul 7, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

Just giving you fodder for your pamphlets!

Jul 7, 10 10:16 am  · 
 · 

LOL, Thom!

Jul 7, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

keep using that dictionary b3, glad to see you've expanded your vocabulary beyond the letter a. Guess I've driven some of you to the brink of insanity.

i will say you guys are interesting in the same sense that Sunday comics are funny.

ps.I don't read Sunday comics

Jul 7, 10 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you're still here? every time you write something, i can't help but think of the Python's sketch of the upper class twits. i don't know what it is...hmmm. could it be your humourless qualities?

i haven't ready sunday comics in over 25 years.

insanity? this barely registers, it's as though i am taking a long piss, after several cups of coffee: a rather wonderful release.

Jul 7, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

you should see a psychologist mr. b3tS.

Ps. had to look up monty python a little before my time.

Jul 8, 10 11:32 am  · 
 · 
dia

Well that seals the deal: anyone who doesnt know monty python is by definition a complete ignoramus.

Jul 9, 10 12:21 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

I'm not concerned with TV shows.

Jul 9, 10 12:58 am  · 
 · 

LOL diabase!

And I have to say the sentence "Look I added a herringbone sidewalk" has been making me giggle all day.

Jul 9, 10 1:22 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

I hope none of you people are teaching at an architecture program, because you people are clowns.

Jul 9, 10 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well, don't worry....

Other than my very part-time gig, no one well let me around an actual full-time job doing anything remotely architecture related. The world of architecture is safe for now!

Jul 9, 10 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: