Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

pzuro

^^^i extend the same same question to all MIT applicants. Best of luck to all as we wait on the second 'boom from boston.'

Mar 9, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

MIT hopefuls. I think they will notify us on "Π" pie day 3/14

Mar 9, 11 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Here's to hoping the GSD sends out email rejections in a timely fashion rather than waiting a month like I have been told they are prone to do with physical mail.

No:

GSAPP
GSD (Heavy assumption)

Waiting:

UC Berkeley (top choice)
UCLA
Minnesota
UPenn

Mar 9, 11 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Might help to post a typical portfolio:

http://issuu.com/cjw5027/docs/application_portfolio

Some of the pictures are a little darker than the final version, so please bear with me on that. Honestly, I think I showed the early stages of mechanical proficiency but likely do not have 'The Eye' (TM) that most of those schools are looking for.

I am a non-arch, non-design background applicant with a dual bachelor/ master of architectural engineering. I would love to eventually focus on healing environments, but am aware that there are many steps that I need to take on the design side before being able to focus on that subset.

Mar 9, 11 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

@ Israelias: last name starts with "R", got the email @ 10:20 am. 1st semester, no AP.

Mar 9, 11 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

If we haven't heard back from GSD, is it safe to assume we got rejected or do they do it in waves?

Also, does anyone have any idea when/how Cornell will notify applicants?

Mar 9, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

anyone hear from ucla? looks like people are starting to get emails...

Mar 9, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

IN at UCLA babyyyyyy
So stoked! Open house the 27th/28th; package to follow ;]

@ arketkt
I heard something bout the GSD waves..
Tiering their acceptance packages or something?

Mar 9, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ arketkt - have not heard anything from Cornell, but am tiring of the wait. Here's to hoping that they will be the next school to start calling/emailing...

Mar 9, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

I have had a string of rejections (3 to be exact) and I really need an acceptance before I reconsider my life entirely haha.

Mar 9, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

given the image posted on the first page of this thread (see below), i think it's early to count yourself out of the gsd.

63 M.Arch I + 14 M.Arch I AP? that is a huge population for an architecture program, and only 14 gradcafe posts so far (5 of which are AP).

and yes, i'm saying this to ease my own anxiety as much as anyone else's.

Mar 9, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

How does one get to be a "special" student? :)

Mar 9, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

that may be the best question in the whole thread.

Mar 9, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

i second that ^

Mar 9, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

if you father donates a few million to gsd... that makes u special :)

Mar 9, 11 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
williamwong

@arketkt i'm in the same boat. this has not been a fun weekend.

Mar 9, 11 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ arketkt - I have had 2 rejections (out of 10) and no acceptances to date. I too am feeling as though I need some good news. We just need to stay positive, as hard as that may be. Way easier said than done, I know.

Mar 9, 11 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@justaddwater57

isn't today a wednesday? if that's part of your weekend, i like your style.

or have i just completely lost track of time and space outside the microcosm of graduate architecture admissions?

Mar 9, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
williamwong

@mr. minimal haha, good point. i meant that this past weekend was a bad one. and that has carried over into mid-week doldrums.

but i've been in a neurotic daze ever since friday, when columbia and yale hit me with the double rejection. considering that i was an undergraduate architecture major at yale (c'mon bob stern, your own faculty wrote my recs!) and that i had gotten into GSAPP two years ago but had already committed to another job (did i regress that much in 2 years?!), my confidence is pretty much shot. with no news from harvard and MIT yet, i'm pretty much a wreck.

Mar 9, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

hahaha @ mr.minimal & justaddwater57

Mar 9, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

@pclaystudio...

did you apply directly to media arts and sciences? i regret not applying, despite the fact i have no engineering background of any kind. I'm guessing you do, coming from Calatrava? my plan--if accepted to SMarchs--is to first test the waters at media lab with lecture coursework and build my mechanical engineering + computer science skills. later i'll apply for the dual degree program. i hope very much that you're right about pi day... this would put MIT notifications, st. pat's day, and my bday all in the same week! at least if i get rejected i can drown my sorrows in pints of green beer and birthday cake...

Mar 9, 11 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Franklsw

In - GSAPP, UCLA
Out - Princeton, Yale

Waiting - MIT, UPenn

Mar 9, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

congrats everyone on their acceptances!

the US schools are coming out now, but does anyone know when uk schools like bartlett or AA send out admissions? gradcafe doesn't have a good catalog...

Mar 9, 11 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@justaddwater57

maybe yale was just trying to diversify their grad class. it's not uncommon for graduate programs to try to look outside of their own alumni for new students.

or if you're a cynic, it makes for more potential alumni donors down the line.

even if nothing works out this time, you still have an arch. degree from yale and a couple years work experience. i suspect you'll be fine, one way or another.

Mar 9, 11 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

GSD rejections are going via email, FYI- just got mine

Mar 9, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

Sigh...

Well at least now I don't have to decide where I'm going! I was flip flopping between Yale and Harvard... Yale it is!

Mar 9, 11 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

IN @ UCLA. expected.
called GSD... they are sending out in waves. no identifiable order. but she said everyone will hear before friday.
and right after i hung up, i got my rejection letter! restless no more, GSAPP it is!

BTW i'm creating a results thread.

Mar 9, 11 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Firstly, congrats to all those admitted!

Secondly, anyone know how the admission processes work at MIT and/or UCLA for M. Arch I? I haven't heard anything from either program yet. Will admitted students occur in waves, or do you reckon I'm rejected? I'm losing hope fast over here.

Mar 9, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

OFFICIAL m.Arch 2011 RESULTS THREAD

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=105052_0_42_0_C

at your discretion, kindly post Stats, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, Port, etc.

this will help us more thoroughly discern our candidacies, efficiently understand the selection process and aid future applicants.

thanks everyone. and CONGRATS.

Mar 9, 11 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

Got rejected from 4 schools...Cornell left, is there any hope!? I need to know now! Ugh, I hate this.

Mar 9, 11 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

hey arketkt, are u from toronto as well?

Mar 9, 11 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

@mitboi, yep.

Mar 9, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

@arketkt, did you do your b.arch at UofT? you didnt apply there for grad school?

Mar 9, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

sry, i meant b.sci.arch

Mar 9, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

It's not a b.arch at Toronto, it's a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Architectural Design. I did apply here for the M.Arch and I absolutely love the school but I was just hoping for a change.

Mar 9, 11 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

oh. i see. don't fret yet. cornell results should be out soon, u never know :) good luck!

which canadian schools did you apply to? from your list a few pages back, i thot u only applied to the 5 american schools.

Mar 9, 11 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
williamwong

There's that GSD rejection I was looking forward to! Beautiful addition to my collection. MIT and Penn, you are my only hope.

Mar 9, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

I look forward to contributing to the results thread, but four of my schools haven't released decisions yet! I used last year's thread as a reference, but it also was a little incomplete and it was posted later than this... I ask that people hold off from contributing until they get most if not all of their decisions. Even after open houses maybe.

The most helpful posts last year were the ones that reasoned through the school that each applicant decided on in the end. It's about more than just the stats.

Mar 9, 11 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

justaddwater57
waiting on penn too. just called them and they said it will be posted on the 14th.

Franklsw
same results you and i

guys, post your stats here
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=105052_0_42_0_C

Mar 9, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

I only applied to UToronto in Canada, I personally felt like it was the only school here that catered to my interests.

Mar 9, 11 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

yeah, i agree that the results thread is premature. i'm still waiting to hear from 4/6 schools, and i won't make any decisions until i've been to open houses.

Mar 9, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Droselle

my girlfriend JUST GOT INTO TEXAS!!!! (m.arch 1)

Mar 9, 11 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
annieyuxi

for everyone that's received positive results, congrats. for those still waiting, good luck!

i know many people still have yet to receive results, but for those that have, how are you guys planning to thank those that wrote letters of recommendation for you? email? letter? hand-written letter? card? gift?
(i've already thanked my recommenders in person, by the way)

Mar 9, 11 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
dpearson

@ dionysus: bartlett has a rolling admission sequence meaning they accept people year round. but i was told to apply early since there are less spots to give out as the end of the year approaches.

i was notified of my acceptance 2 weeks after they received it. i'm not sure if that is typical. due to the rolling admission i would presume some applications might sit for awhile waiting to be compared alongside others, a kind of batch review. and some might arrive just in time for a review.

good luck!

Mar 9, 11 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
dpearson

@ dionysus: sorry, fyi i applied to the march architectural design

Mar 9, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

persimmons
mr. minimal

yeah just contribute to the results thread when you've heard back from most schools, if not all.
good call: "The most helpful posts last year were the ones that reasoned through the school that each applicant decided on in the end. It's about more than just the stats."

skino
thanks for reminding us to do that. i'll probably send a hand-written letter.

Mar 9, 11 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

@dpearson hey thanks for the info and congrats! i applied to the Diploma program, a little late (mid-february), so it's only been a few weeks. Nothing on gradcafe...but i wasn't quite aware of the process...and should have applied earlier!

Mar 9, 11 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
NYer

Only acceptance so far is Penn's MCP, waiting on the M.Arch 1 from Penn. This experience has been quite disappointing thus far :(

Mar 9, 11 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
ctr1506

Any MIT accepted students into the 3 yr or 2 yr track want to post their portfolio's? The wait is killing me and I want to see what is out there. Specify the program you were accepted to.

Mar 9, 11 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

There's only like 6-7 posts on gradcafe for MIT. are those legit?

Thats the only one I'm waiting for, otherwise im ready for the results thread.

:)

Btw,

For the first week of april, anyone road tripping thru NY - New Haven - Providence - Boston?

Mar 9, 11 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: